Updated: Investigators seek help finding hit-and-run driver

hit and runLANCASTER – A woman was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries Tuesday night, after being struck by a car as she crossed the street in west Lancaster.

Traffic investigators from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station are asking for the public’s help to identify the hit-and-run driver and vehicle.

The incident happened around 7:43 p.m. Tuesday on Avenue L at 32nd Street West, according to Lt. Paul Pfrehm.

Preliminary information gathered at the scene revealed an unknown vehicle was being driven eastbound on Avenue L when it struck the woman, who was crossing northbound on Avenue L, Pfrehm stated.

The driver of the vehicle did not stop at the scene, but fled eastbound on Avenue L.

The woman, whose name is not being released at this time, was transported to a local area hospital with severe injuries.

Sheriff’s detectives continue to investigate this serious collision, and encourage anyone with information regarding this hit and run to contact the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station Traffic Enforcement Team at 661-948-8466. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

UPDATED 3/20/13 @ 11:10 p.m.

The victim has been identified as 35-year-old Simone Walker of Lancaster. Walker was listed in critical condition as of 10:30 p.m. Wednesday (March 20), sheriff’s officials said. Detectives still have no leads on the vehicle or the driver, and they’re issuing an urgent plea for information. Anyone who witnessed this incident is urged to contact Lancaster Sheriff’s Station Traffic Enforcement Team at 661-948-8466.

44 comments for “Updated: Investigators seek help finding hit-and-run driver

1. Billy Martel Strong
    March 28, 2013 at 3:45 am

R.I.P Simone. This is very sad. Only God knows why he decided to call you back home. I pray your soul is resting with the Lord and you are no longer in pain. You are a Angel now Simone please watch over all of us.

2. Just Beautiful Me
    March 25, 2013 at 11:19 pm

My thoughts and Prayers to Simone’s family, especially those babies of hers. May you forever R.I.P

As for the person who took such a young beautiful life, you need to turn yourself in. Take responsibility for your actions. You left children without their mother. I pray you have a heart and do the right thing.

• James Sosa
      March 26, 2013 at 7:05 am

Man, this is so sad. Prayers to her fam.

3. Jennie
    March 25, 2013 at 8:57 pm

My prayers are with her family and kids. I just can’t believe it.. I love u Simone!!

4. Shelly
    March 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

on behalf of the Nancy Cory Staff our deepest thoughts are with her and her Family at this time. This is very sad news for us. My God be with her Children and Family.

5. March 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

She has been Declared Brain dead…My Son and the family is saying their goodbyes before they pull the plug…My Grand children are now without their Mother for the rest of their lifes…We Know that God don’t put on us more than we can bear..this is a tough one…

• Mike
      March 22, 2013 at 11:25 pm

So Sorry for your Loss, I hope they catch the person soon

• Denuen Mosley
      March 23, 2013 at 10:54 am

I’m goin to miss u cousin love u

• Kalena
      March 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Ms. Bishop Smith, please call me. I have been trying to get in touch with a family member by the name of Ms. Antwoinette and calling Simone’s number in order to get in touch with her. My # is 661-429-5945.

• Jennie
      March 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm

im soo sorry.. You know i love u guys.. Simone will always be my sister from another mother.. My heart is so broken,prayers for family,friends, the kids..

• james sosa
      March 25, 2013 at 5:06 am

Im so sorry.

6. Patricia
    March 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

crosswalks don’t matter, stop signs don’t matter, stop lights don’t matter, what matters is for people to start caring about others again, I was crossing the street on my handicapped scooter at Fern and Jackman last week and a car ran the stop sign turned left south on Fern, I was inches away from being hit.

7. Sam
    March 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Prayers to her and her family. Giving it to God and may His will be done

8. Christy
    March 20, 2013 at 8:47 pm

So far, two people have said they saw what happened on this feed. The police have no idea who the driver or the car is. Why is that? Give the information to the authorities so they can help get them off the street and make sure they don’t hit anyone else…Please do the right thing….

9. love ones
    March 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Hold on baby gyrl we love you and pray for you,you know who we are.

10. tayna james
    March 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

she isnt dead.. just real critical.. please if you know any info on the driver contact the sheriffs

• Christy
      March 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Please read the rest of this feed. There are two people who have said they saw this accident…Maybe they can help…SHe and her family is in my thoughts and prayers…

11. jerome fiher
    March 20, 2013 at 12:55 pm

She has passed away..Love goes out to her babies

• Jaclyn
      March 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Are you sure of this? My boyfriend was at the seven eleven and saw it happen and he has been extremely concerned for the girl. It also hits home with me because I lost my sister in the same way, we send our love and prayers to her and her family!

• L Tozin
        March 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

No, it’s not true. She’s critical at this time.

• Christy
        March 20, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Hi Jaclyn,

If your boyfriend saw this happen, the police are asking for any information on this accident. Has he gone to the police with his information? He may help identify the hit and run car and driver. If it were someone I knew I would be so sad and would want someone to come forward if they knew anything..Please have him go and give this Vital information as soon as possible…Thank you so much!

• cuzzn
        March 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Please have your boyfriend call and tell the police what happened. She has 4 babies that love and need their mother!!

• swayla
        March 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Is it possible your boyfriend can go to thr police to tell what he has saw? She has 3 lil kids who is begging their mother to wake up. Please

• Jaclyn
          March 27, 2013 at 8:56 am

Yes he gave the police, and the family all the information he could but said he didn’t see much of the car but, being a car salesman, he did notice a few things. We went to her vigil last night, as you might know she has passed on, and prayed with family and friends.

12. Gladys
    March 20, 2013 at 10:30 am

Crossing any street where there is traffic is dangerous. Crosswalk or not. How much comfort is there after a hit and run, when all you can say is, “she was in a crosswalk”? People need to slow the f— down.
    Maybe there needs to be a light at that intersection to slow traffic down and give people the opportunity to cross “in a cosswalk”. Instead of using the money for bike lanes somewhere, use it for a light and crosswalk.

13. Jennie
    March 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

This is my dear friend, and my prayers are with her and her family. Love her so much..

• James Sosa
      March 20, 2013 at 11:40 am

I was there when this happened. i haven’t been able to sleep all nite. I hope she is doing better.

• Christy
        March 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Did you see it happen? Did you tell the police what you saw?

• Jennie
          March 21, 2013 at 10:58 am

I was not there, I said she is my dear friend, and my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family..PLEASE IF YOU WERE THERE COME FORWARD GO TO POLICE. SHE HAS 4 YOUNG CHILD,GIVE HER FAMILY SOME KIND OF PEACE

• Naomi Michelle
        March 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Jennie she is in need of someone to come forward please contact the police give me a call something she is a good friend of mine 8189413979

• Jennie
          March 21, 2013 at 10:59 am

I was not there. I’m just a friend of hers.

• mama T
        March 21, 2013 at 9:21 am

@ James Sosa Did you go to the Police with this information that you have, if not PLEASE do so. She is a very close friend to me. The family and her friends need HELP in finding who ever is responsible

• James Sosa
          March 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

i helped Simone as much as i could until an off duty emt dude took charge. i told the police every thing i saw and remember. I hope Simone Walker pulls through and the driver of the vehicle gets caught!

• Jennie
        March 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

James- Thank you for staying by herside till help came. I know you already talked to the police, I saw that in your comment THANK YOU! What did you see, where any of her kids with her? I have known her for 20yrs.. This is so crushing, and my heart hurts so bad for her 4 young children

• james sosa
          March 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm

she was with no kids. She was with another teenage looking girl. if I knew what hospital she was at I would go by there and send her some flowers.

• Jennie
            March 21, 2013 at 10:16 pm

She is at antalope valley hospital…was she conscience at all while u were with her? Email me at jenn_vogts@yahoo.com

• James Sosa
            March 22, 2013 at 9:51 am

i will be emailing you later today during my lunch break.

She was not conscience.

• cuzzn
        March 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

James will you please call the police and let them know what you saw at .least a discription of the car….PLEASE!!!

• james sosa
          March 22, 2013 at 5:08 am

I have told the cops everything I know.

• cuzzn
            March 23, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Thank you so much James we truly appreciate your help…May God Bless you!!!!

14. Told_ya_so aka Forewarned
    March 20, 2013 at 8:04 am

I wonder if she was using a cross walk or jay walking? Not that it matters. I know a hit-and-run is wrong. However, I do notice that the people out here never like to use crosswalks. Why? Just the other day I saw a man and women arguing and the man was standing in the middle of the road on a major street! The women was pulled over in her car and they were arguing! What id I ots!

• Jason
      March 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

Theres no crosswalk at 32nd. There are at 30th and 35th. People dont use them because of inconvienence and the fact that you could do it in front of a cop and not get ticketed.

• Thomas
        March 20, 2013 at 9:33 am

Under CA law 32 Street west is considered an unmarked crosswalk and it is legal to cross there. It is dangerous but legal.

• John Howard
          March 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm

21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

Only unmarked crosswalks can exist at an intersection. Did this happen at an intersection?