Two killed in crossover crash in Lancaster

(Image courtesy LASD)

(Image courtesy LASD)

LANCASTER – Alcohol is suspected to be a factor in the crash that killed two men in Lancaster Wednesday night, authorities said.

The fatal collision happened around 9:46 p.m., Wednesday (March 13) on Avenue J, near 22nd Street East, according to Lt. Paul Pfrehm of the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station.

Preliminary information gathered at the scene revealed a 1998 Toyota pickup truck was being driven westbound on Avenue J, when it crossed over the center median and was struck by a 2004 Gray GMC Yukon, which was being driven eastbound on Avenue J, according to Pfrehm.

It is unknown what caused the Toyota to cross into oncoming traffic, but alcohol is believed to be a factor, Pfrehm states.

Both the driver and the passenger in the Toyota pickup were pronounced dead at the scene. Their names were not immediately released, but Pfrehm said they were both Hispanic males – one in his 30’s and one in his 20’s.

The Yukon’s driver was transported to a local area hospital with minor injuries.

Sheriff’s Detectives continue to investigate this fatal collision, and are asking anyone with information to contact the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station Traffic Enforcement Team at 661-948-8466.

28 comments for “Two killed in crossover crash in Lancaster

1. erika
    March 26, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Do anybody know the names of those that passed away may god let them rest in peace

2. kim
    March 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

Irresponsable people for real its sad they died but damm see what alcohol does.

3. Mimi
    March 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

4. Denise Latanzi
    March 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

The article appears correct to me. I live just down J from the accident scene, and while we didn’t hear the accident, we definitely heard the sirens after.
    It was not that complicated an accident scene. There is a center divider on that stretch of J, and whichever vehicle was going west on J obviously jumped the divider and hit the eastbound vehicle, because both cars ended up in the field on the south side adjacent to the east bound lane.
    It’s really sad to hear that 2 people lost their lives in this accident, no matter who was at fault. Car accidents claim way to many people here in the AV.

5. Jeanette
    March 17, 2013 at 10:34 am

I did I was out there providing info and so was my son. I had limited info since I heard it and when I led out the dust was settling. Either way it’s whatever to me at this point now. I just know all the jokes and statements I did hear from the “pros” and it just makes me look at this story differently. I’m moving on. Happy St Pattys day everyone.

6. Nancy
    March 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Rest In Peace .Los Extrane Muchoo . =/

• Nancy
      March 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Yall Can Like Or dislike my comment .they my friends. nd im goin to miss them so much

• Be
        March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Do you know funeral services info for the younger guy?

• erika
      March 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm

You know there. Names

7. kim
    March 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I was there in I did stop it was crazy god bless

8. Heather
    March 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I always see a car turn left from 20th onto ave J and they don’t realize it’s only one lane so they end up in the turn lane til they get to the island. Ave J needs some major work on this stretch. Sad that two people had to loss their lives.

• Gladys
      March 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

Avenue J is so busy through that area. I wonder why something isn’t done to relieve the traffic problems. I’m surprised the City of Lancaster hasn’t made it worse by putting in (useless) bike lanes!

9. Jeanette
    March 14, 2013 at 10:58 am

this is so disgusting there were so many cars that drove right by and we’re right behind the accident when I looked out my window and nobody stop to say anything

• March 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Ok, I’m confused.

March 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Say it isn’t so, Otto.

• March 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Sometimes, Sik, people just bamboozle me.

March 14, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Thats ’cause you’re east coast,dude.

• March 15, 2013 at 8:14 am

Good point, fellow thugger.

• Palmdale_Diego
      March 14, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Ahhhh….what were they suppose to say?

• Jeanette
        March 14, 2013 at 9:40 pm

they should have stopped and explained what happened, I sat in my backyard and heard the officers say it was one way one second and another way another second. NOBODY really knows what happened because the ones who saw kept on driving. Last night the last thing we heard was that it was the Yukon who crossed the media. I guess we will never know :\

March 14, 2013 at 10:32 pm

You know what,Jeanette,these things happen so fast you probably wouldn’t know yourself
          how it happened but might be cool if one had stopped to help. The pros are pretty good at figuring out from skidmarks and point of impact .drug screening,etc.

• Jeanette
            March 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

that is what I am saying though the pros stated it was one way and now this report says another, either way it was a sad outcome just not sure I believe the story being told, the cops were on the scene within 30 seconds of the accident which was amazing but doesnt help to not have an eye witness

• Crazy Stuff
          March 15, 2013 at 10:08 am

The Forensic investigators will figure it out they are extremely good at it, However it would have been nice for some eye witnesses to give an account of it.

• March 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Ok, now that’s funny Ace. That’s all I have to say.

• March 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Did you come out from behind your window and help, Jeanette? Did you see who crossed the media? I’ve learned that one should never cross the media, because the media will come back to bite them.

March 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

They might even censor you if you don’t play fair.

• March 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Right…They can be so unfair!!!

• Palmdale_Diego
          March 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Our good, civic-minded residents just “don’t want to get involved”. Wouldn’t surprise me if some of them were DUI.