LANCASTER – Palmdale residents Laura Martinez and Juan Calderon will have their dream “Wedding on The BLVD”!
At a press conference Wednesday (Feb. 13), The BLVD Association announced that the lucky couple won the first-ever “Wedding on The BLVD” contest, which provides a free wedding for up to 50 guests in downtown Lancaster.
“Laura and Juan are an absolutely adorable couple,” said Erica Allbee, owner of All About Fitness gym and Chairwoman of the Wedding on The BLVD Committee. “They have great chemistry that really came across in their video contest entry, and both have bubbly and charming personalities. This couple also has what every great wedding needs – a beautiful, timeless love story.”
Laura and Juan, along with nearly two dozen engaged couples, entered the “Wedding on The BLVD” contest by attending the 9th Annual Bridal Show in January at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds.
To enter, couples had to visit the BLVD Association booth to film a video contest entry and let their personalities shine through in the video.
Laura and Juan described how they met three years ago when Laura was working as a manager at a fast-food restaurant. Juan, a deputy sheriff, introduced himself to Laura at her aunt’s behest. Laura gave him her number and was surprised to hear from him the next day, as soon as he had completed his 16-hour double shift. The two have been inseparable ever since, and say they are deeply in love.
“With Laura I can share things that I have never shared with anybody,” Juan said. “To open up to Laura, to gain that trust and that emotion, that passion – that’s when I knew she was the one. It’s like waking up and taking a breath; you just know. I’m in love with Laura and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.”
A committee from The BLVD Association narrowed the 24 contest submissions down to five finalists. (Read more here.) Members of the local media selected Laura and Juan from the finalists.
At the press conference Wednesday, Lancaster council member Sandra Johnson gushed over the winning couple.
“You guys are from the Antelope Valley, and you guys are going to build your family here in Antelope Valley… we applaud you and thank you for that,” Johnson said. “This is so awesome that we get to celebrate this the day before Valentine’s Day, the day before we all remind ourselves that we are truly in love.”
Laura and Juan will be married in a ceremony on The BLVD in June. The various aspects of their complimentary wedding package are being donated by the merchants of The BLVD Association. For each item, the sponsoring merchant will work with the couple to select three options – for example, three wedding gowns, three styles of invitations, etc.
Each week, the public will have the opportunity to view the three choices and vote for their favorite at www.theblvdwedding.com. These online votes will decide which item will ultimately be included in the couple’s wedding.
“We could not be more excited and more thrilled,” Laura said. “We are just so overwhelmed at the generosity.”
“We are very proud to have a wedding where we can share it with the community, we’re very thankful,” Juan added.
The couple will receive the following as part of the “Wedding on the BLVD” package:
- Bridal shower for up to 12 guests at MollyKate’s Gifts and Tea Room
- Bachelor party at Kinetic Brewing Company
- Bridal gown from Bella Bridal
- Bridesmaids’ dresses from Vintage Styles Now
- Bridal gown alterations and preservation by George’s Cleaners
- Invitations from Bohn’s Printing
- Six-month membership to All About Fitness
- Salon services from Jon Dave Salon, Panache, or The Face & Body Place
- Ceremony on the Bandstand Stage in front of BeX
- Reception at RoShamBo Lounge
- Catering for up to 50 guests by Giannini’s Bistro & Grill
- Wedding cake by Rae’s Cup+Cake Bakeshop
- Centerpieces by Lamplighter Candles
- Engagement and wedding photography by award-winning Sutton Photography
- Wedding photo framing by Graphic Experience
- Entertainment by Renaissance Art Center
- Honeymoon for seven days and six nights at a Ventura beach house, donated by Bella West Spa & Salon
- And more!
To watch Juan and Laura’s wedding planning progress and to vote each week on items for their wedding, visit www.theblvdwedding.com. For more information regarding The BLVD, visit www.theblvdlancaster.com.