Two killed, child airlifted after head-on collision

There was a slight snow storm at the time of the double fatal collision, officials said. (Photo by LUIS MEZA)

ANTELOPE VALLEY – Icy roads Friday afternoon led to a head-on collision that killed two Palmdale residents, authorities said.

The fatal collision happened around 3:30 p.m. on Palmdale Boulevard, west of 130th Street East, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Cynthia A. Rodriguez, 28, was driving a black 1994 Honda Civic eastbound on Palmdale Boulevard, at an unknown rate of speed, when she lost control of her vehicle.

“Possibly due to the wet roadway and there was snow at the time,” said CHP Officer Talbot. “The black Honda lost control and began to rotate and travel into the westbound lane in the path of a white pickup [truck].”

(Photo by LUIZ MESA)

(Photo by LUIZ MESA)

The Honda collided head-on with a 2012 Ford F-150, which was traveling about 55 miles per hour, according to the CHP report.

Rodriguez and her passenger, 29-year-old Gary Valenzuela, were killed in the collision.

A four-year-old girl riding in their vehicle was airlifted to Antelope Valley Hospital. The child suffered major injuries, including head trauma, fractured right femur and collapsed right lung.

The pickup truck’s driver and passenger – Allen W. McMahan, 61, and Anne E. McMahan, 62, of Palmdale – sustained moderate injuries in the collision.

They were transported, via ambulance, to Antelope Valley Hospital.

All parties were wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision, according to the CHP report.

UPDATED 2/12/13: The four-year-old girl succumbed to her injuries in the days following the crash. She died at the Loma Linda University Medical Center on  Monday, Feb. 11, according to an updated California Highway Patrol report.

26 comments for “Two killed, child airlifted after head-on collision

1. Brittany
    February 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Please come and help out with the car wash for both Cynthia and her daughter martha we would really appreciate your help thank you all

• Brittany
      February 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Tomorrow at lake la dairy

2. Hilda
    February 14, 2013 at 7:37 am

im the mother of Gary’s child,he was a great person, even tho we had our ups and downs., Never wanted for something like this to happen to him, May god bless him and may god give me strenght to one day explain to his son what happen to his father! i will always love u Gary.!! and im sorry!!

• angie
      February 15, 2013 at 11:29 pm

this is michelle tia and i love you we will be there for you and baby gary to help you tell him your not alone. where here to support you even if we are far away. LOVE YOU GARY RIP

3. jesse valenzuela
    February 14, 2013 at 2:21 am

I’m garys cousin we’ve lost contact during the years his pops and my pops are cousins his pops passed a long time ago our fathers were close …. I can’t believe how this happened all three gone at once . It breaks my heart to hear about him and his wife now to hear about his little girl just brings me to tears I got a little 5 yr old also and I can’t imagine the pain their families are goin through…… I love and miss you gary may you your wife and baby be in Gods hands…… te extrañaremos pariente……. JESSE VALENZUELA!

4. Ortega Family
    February 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Oue deep condolens to the mendoza-valenzuela fammily for ther lost of Gary Valenzuela.Gary we know you since you where little we going to miss you,rest in peace.

5. renee
    February 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm

My heart breaks hearing all this I was a close friend of this family Cynthia was a very sweet person she will be deeply missed <3

6. clifford
    February 12, 2013 at 11:26 am

The child died yesterday so sad

• Gladys
      February 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm

My sympathy to the families.

7. clifford
    February 12, 2013 at 3:56 am

Me and my wifes prayers go out to everyone involved. Especially the Rodriguez family… I know there’s nothing we can say or do to make things any better so I’m not even gonna try… To anyone and everyone seeing this. If we all chip in some money.. Even if its only a dollar. Anyhing will help GREATLY for this family going through this horrific tragedy and loss. To my friend and co worker Danny Rodriguez. I’m here for you man and ill help in any way I can… plz ppl lets not forget that this family has a 4yr baby girl on life support. Any donations will help this family to be by her side every second… email me if u would like to arrange a donation. Thank u and godbless… my email. Thebigreddog79@yahoo.com …please help give this 4 yr old a chance at life.

8. marisa arellano
    February 11, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I KNEW GARY HE WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE ITS SAD. PPL WHO KNEW GARY NEW HE WAS A LOVEING &GOOD HEARTED PERSON ALL WE CAN DO NOW IS THINK OF ALL THE GOOD TIME’S IF U NEW GARY IT WAS A BLESSING CAUSE HE WAS AN AMAZINGPERSON U WILL B TRULLY MISSED MY BOY&ALWAYS IN MY THOUGHT’S .ILOVE YOU GARY PRAY’S GO OUT 2HIS FAMILY&CLOSE FRIEND’S. “R.I.P MY FRIEND GARY VALENZUELA”

9. marisa arellano
    February 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I KNEW GARY HE WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE MY PRAYER’S GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY&CLOSE FRIEND’S ,ALL WE CAN DO NOW IS THINK OF ALL THE GOOD TIME’S WE HAD ,IF U NEW GARY U ALL KNOW HE WAS A VERY LOVEING &GOOD HEARTED PERSON U WILL ALWAYS B IN R HEART’S &THOUGHT’S WE LOVE YOU MY BUDDY={

10. Jeffery Scruggs
    February 11, 2013 at 5:30 pm

These where two very close friends of mine, I will miss them very much and forever keep them in my heart. Spared to not be spared.

11. February 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Doea anyone know how the child is doing??

• February 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm

correction DOES anyone know how the child is doing??

• clifford
        February 12, 2013 at 4:04 am

Last I heard is she’s still on life support and may be suffering from brain damage…

• clifford
          February 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

The 4 year old passed today. ……..

• February 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

@ clifford
            Thank you for the update, I am so sorry to hear that she passed away. My heart and prayers are with everyone that was touch by this loss.

12. Charlene
    February 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Love you n will miss you my boy. Gary R. Thanx for the prayers …

13. jazmine
    February 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

My condolences to ur family Gee…. En Manos de El Padre ahora descansas…
    Much Love and. Respect,
    Jazmine Ortega & William Ortega

14. SMH
    February 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

PPL NEED TO SLOW DOWN. DON’T KNOW YOU BUT MY PRAYS AND THOUGHT GOES OUT TO THIS FAMILY. A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINES JUST GOT HIT LAST NIGHT ON PALMDALE BLVD BY SOMEONE WHO WAS SPEEDING LIKE 50 MPH IN FRONT OF SAM’S LIQUID STORE NOW HE IN ICU BUT HE GOING TO MAKE IT. HE GOT 2 BROKING LEGS, JAWS ARE WIRING AND MANY OTHER INJURES I HOPE THAT CATCH THESE PPL WHO JUST DO THIS AND HAVE THE NEED TO SPEED. SMH.. THIS IS SO SAD TO HEAR.

15. mayra
    February 11, 2013 at 11:32 am

gary youll be missed but never forgotten!! love you
    mayra & yuri

16. Alisha
    February 10, 2013 at 5:46 am

I’m so so sorry you I love you and you will be missed my prayers go out to your family and miss Martha

17. February 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

my prayers go out 2 all involved please dont mess with mother nature slow down ‘”…..

18. February 9, 2013 at 11:25 am

Wow pray fo them

19. Bob
    February 9, 2013 at 8:46 am

Please slow down in the bad weather people! This is no joke. Going 65 is still dangerous in slick and icy conditions.

Do not tailgate, speed, break check, or other stupid actions in bad weather.