UPDATED: Officials arrest suspect in sexual assault of girl walking to school

(Booking photo courtesy Greenville County Jail)

UPDATED 12/27: Charles James, the man suspected of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl on Dec. 13, was located and arrested early this morning in Greenville, South Carolina.

James contacted local detectives late last night once he became aware of the media attention concerning him, according to Sgt. Brian Hudson, of the Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau.

“We learned his location in South Carolina, we contacted the local law enforcement in South Carolina and they arrested him for us,” Hudson said.

James is still considered a suspect in the case, and he remains in custody at the Greenville County Detention Center.

“We will be seeking extradition back to California from South Carolina,” Hudson said.

The Sheriff’s Department will be issuing a news release with more details on this arrest. We will have more information when it becomes available.


**Earlier Story **

LANCASTER – As The AV Times reported on Dec. 13, a 14-year-old girl walking to school in Lancaster was dragged into bushes and sexually assaulted.

The suspect in the assault has been identified as 30-year-old Charles James, authorities announced Wednesday. They’re now asking for your help in locating James.

The following is the news release from the Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau:

On December 13, 2012, at approximately 6:15 a.m., the victim was walking to school in the 2000 block of East Avenue J-8 in Lancaster when she noticed the suspect walking behind her.

Believing that she was being followed, the victim crossed the street. She noticed that the suspect had also crossed the street and was getting closer to her.

The suspect grabbed the victim and dragged her into bushes located along the south side of the street. The suspect then proceeded to repeatedly sexually assault the victim. Once he ended his assault, the suspect fled the location.

Utilizing investigative tools, the suspect in this assault has been identified by detectives as Charles James, a 30-year-old male with a last known address in Antelope Valley and prior addresses in Los Angeles, Inglewood, Long Beach, Palmdale and Lancaster.

The Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau is requesting the public’s assistance in locating suspect James. Anyone who may have additional information regarding this investigation or the whereabouts of suspect James is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau at 877-710-5273 or their local police department. Or if you wish to remain Anonymous, call “LA Crime Stoppers” by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477).

The suspect is considered dangerous so contact should not be attempted.

Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris is personally offering a $5,000 reward for the apprehension of the suspect.

“Our community is absolutely appalled that someone would perpetrate such a heinous act,” Parris said previously. “We do not tolerate such crimes here in the Antelope Valley.”

  24 comments for “UPDATED: Officials arrest suspect in sexual assault of girl walking to school

  1. December 31, 2012 at 11:36 pm

    If guilty I’m sure he’ll get HIS in Prison

  2. December 31, 2012 at 11:32 pm

    It’s weird he turn himself in, but he also left town too.I’ll bet they have his DNA from her.If guilty I’m sure he’ll get HIS in prison

  3. anotherdummy
    December 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

    I see everyone saying “cut off his junk” and “what an awful dirtbag” and if he is guilty, I agree with you. However, does anyone else besides me think that since he TURNED HIMSELF IN that he might be innocent?

    • anotherdummy
      December 29, 2012 at 11:42 am

      Dislikes without any comment response. C’mon people, use your words…. Or are you only here to spit venom and judgement?

  4. AVreader
    December 27, 2012 at 9:30 am

    I just remember there is one design condom from Africa which is stopping this type of animal: trap and possible cut it in real-time :). Hope it will be in US soon.

  5. Miffed American
    December 27, 2012 at 3:52 am

    This is beyond words and this individual is an animal that must be caged and put out of his misery. He has no value to society nor and redemption to be had. No catch and release on this mangy mutt.

  6. nicole
    December 27, 2012 at 12:44 am

    This really sad I hope he is punished to the max… Why is she walking to school so early and alone? I dont understand parents these days. Its still dark out at this time of morning this could have been avoided … My heart goes out to the family.

  7. Mick
    December 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm

    Wow. Just wow. Scary and then some.

  8. dumbandblind
    December 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

    Why is the Mayor offering only $5,000 reward for the capture of this dirtbag yet pay $90,000 a month for LEAPS for doing nothing?

    • Liz
      December 26, 2012 at 10:15 pm

      I think he knows the owner of the plane.

    • Mike B.
      December 27, 2012 at 7:21 am

      City is NOT currently paying 90k per month for LEAPS. AND it is doing a lot of good.

      • Stinger
        December 27, 2012 at 8:23 am

        You’re right, Mike B., in that the city is not currently paying the $90K/month. Parris actually made the city pay for the entire first year of over a million dollars IN ADVANCE!!!

        Nice try.

        • Palmdale_Steve
          December 27, 2012 at 9:19 am


          Simple answer to your issue with the TRex Air Force, run for office, win and then ground TRex Air.

          • Stinger
            December 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

            LOL! The “TRex Air Force” – that’s a good one!

            – Cheers, P_S! :-)

      • MG
        December 27, 2012 at 8:29 am

        No, The City already paid $1.3 mil. for the plane if you divide that by 12 you have abouT $108,000.00 a month, next year Mr. Visco will get $90,000.00 EVERY SINGLE MONTH, how much are you paid a month for your hard work? Insulting that they want to confuse us with their spinings. The man already CASHED the check for a cool $1.300,000.00,” LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK”, as they say.

        • December 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

          Frank Visco never owned this aircraft, it was purchased from Aero-plance, Inc out of Wilmington, Deleware http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N3475E Base price for a 1978 Cessna 172N aircraft ranges from $33k to $40k… must have some costly upgrades, and I definetly don’t see it as a cost effective investment for the City of Lancaster, or law enforcement.

          • snt
            December 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

            Same difference, the money still ends in his pocket or bank account.is Rutan involved in this deal?

      • Resident Cynic
        December 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

        We are paying what amounts to 90k a month. We just paid it up front. You say it’s doing a lot of good. Over a million bucks and one burglar? It looks like it’s doing good for the owner and that’s about it. A million bucks for one burglar? No wonder we’re the junk bond capital of So Cal

      • Liz
        December 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

        Hey Mike B. Can you name 2 crimes the plane has been involved in solving?

      • dumbandblind
        December 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm

        Hey Mike B. please enumerate exactly what good has LEAPS done to justify the taxpayer expense and while you’re at it also explain to us all your involvement in LEAPS to actually support it.

    • dumbandblind
      December 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

      Ooopppsss sorry for stepping on some peoples toes. Must be those who directly benefited from the taxpayers.

  9. dumbandblind
    December 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

    And when his caught… amputate his penis!

    • VWFish
      December 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

      General Population with a sign dangling around his filthy neck….

    • dumbandblind
      December 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm

      I wonder who didn’t want his dick cut off after doing what he did. Maybe if he did it to him/her then the story would have been different.

Comments are closed.