UPDATED: Palmdale woman killed in traffic crash

Lissbeth Carvajal was a passenger in this vehicle, which collided with another vehicle around 4:21 p.m. Sunday in the intersection of 40th Street East and Avenue Q. The driver of this vehicle assumed the other driver had a stop sign, authorities said. (Photo by LUIS MEZA)

PALMDALE – A 22-year-old passenger was killed Sunday afternoon when the vehicle she was riding in was broadsided in a Palmdale intersection, authorities said.

Lissbeth Carvajal of Palmdale died of injuries sustained in a collision that was reported around 4:21 p.m. Sunday in the intersection of 40th Street East and Avenue Q, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office.

Carvajal was the passenger in a red vehicle that was traveling eastbound on Avenue Q when it was hit by a silver Mercedes going northbound on 40th Street East. The identities of both male drivers were not immediately available.

(Photo by LUIS MEZA)

There was a stop sign on Avenue Q, but not on 40th Street East, according to Palmdale Station deputy John Cereoli.

“The [red vehicle] did not run the stop sign, however, the vehicle assumed that the other vehicle on 40th Street had a stop sign, so when the [red vehicle] entered the intersection, they were hit,” Cereoli said.

There were three people in the red vehicle – Carvajal and two other family members, Cereoli said.

There were two men riding in the silver Mercedes.

There were no other serious injuries connected to the collision, which remains under investigation, Cereoli said.

Traffic at 40th Street East and Avenue Q was blocked off for about five hours to allow for the investigation.

The driver of the silver Mercedes, 25-year-old Armondo Valenzuela, was arrested for DUI shortly after the collision, authorities confirmed Wednesday.

“One of the parties was arrested for DUI, however that was not the cause of the incident,” said Palmdale Sheriff’s Station deputy Jodilyn Wolfe.

Wolfe confirmed the account given in the news story above – that the collision was caused because the driver of the red car erroneously assumed there was a four-way stop intersection.

The driver of the red car has been identified as 19-year-old Zacharias Carvajal.

Previous Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story had an incorrect spelling for the deceased. We double-checked the information with the Los Angeles County Coroners Office and updated the spelling. We were unable to confirm the model of the red vehicle.

94 comments for “UPDATED: Palmdale woman killed in traffic crash

1. Caltrans AV
    February 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Im sorry for the Loss of this family. I do want to say tht:

Zack Carvajal Wrote:”i did yield that car came out of nowhere”, ” I did the correct thing in going my lane was cleared to go the driver appeared out of nowhere “.

How in the world did you not see him?? 4:30pm??? Uhhh Day Light. Its the desert for crying out loud. I could see 5 miles to 10 miles away in the DESERT!! if a cars coming or not. I realy know it was your fault and you were not paying attention.I think the right thing to do is turn yourself in to authorities. And admit it. Your scared of going to Jail, you know you @$&# up. You know that if you admit it the Family will hate you and you’ll be in Jail for the rest of your life.We dont know if you two were fighting over somthing and you were so pissed that you bursted into traffic. Lissbeth Carvajal is not here to tell the truth. Only you. You know you did a mistake. Turn your self in Zack!!!

• Ally
      March 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Really? You are pathetic. Maybe the big building at the corner blocked his view. Maybe the car was speeding. You dont know. Just like we don’t. He made a mistake assuming it was a four way stop.It was his wife. They’d been married 2 days. Together for years! The love of his life. He is in the military. Serving his country. I think you might be a relative of the other driver.

2. esther
    December 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

look to everyone who continues to argue about the death it was all Gods plan no need to question it no need to point fingers EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. I am her cousin i knew her very well and loved her so much just like many others did we are all mourning her death for those who are being disrespectful about everything it’s best to not comment her family will obviously see this so please i ask keep your comments to yourself. we all know she’s in heaven looking down on us God meant for this to happen NO ONE KNOWS THE REASON BUT HIM. we (her family and friends) know that this happened for a reason. God Bless you all..

3. Heart Broken
    December 29, 2012 at 12:32 am

I find it pretty pathetic and sad how people are so quick to judge. Family and Friends are now mourning i know i am mourning Liz’s loss. People come on here that have nothing better to do and would just like to talk when they only know what they see on here. By saying that the husband is an idiot that is really disrespectful, we are all humans we make mistakes. In this case unfortunatly a life was taken it was Gods will for him to take one of his precious angels and we are no one to ask why? all we can do is pray she has beat us and she is now in heaven watching over her family and friends. Seeing some of these comments does disgust me i know if half of you were to be going through this you wouldnt be saying what your saying or you wouldnt be wanting to be called an idiot or even careless. Things happen and we never know exactly when and where it will happen no matter how cautious we are about everything things happen. I was priveleged with meeting liz and knowing what a sweet girl she was and still is. knowing that people actually have the nerve to down talk family especially her husband when they are mourning is pretty pathetic i will be praying for each and every one of you. God Bless you all

• Stinger
      December 29, 2012 at 9:38 am

I agree, HB. Ironically enough, these Sith trolls are the same people who openly claim themselves to be ‘good Christians,’ too.

Pathetic, really.

• Dec29
      December 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I almost got into an accident when I stopped at a stop sign, and I preceded to turn right before they got to their intersection on my left, assuming they were going to stop at a stop sign, and when I seen they were not stopping I realized they didn’t have a stop sign. It was scary, and they were going fast.

4. Trevor B.
    December 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm

The impact was so strong it wrapped the license plate from the Mercedes on the Red vehicles (FR) Wheel…. The Mercedes didn’t even stop….just all around ignorant and wrong.

• lorie
      December 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

for your information, three years ago on Dec. 5th, I also was involved in an accident at that very same intersection. I was headed south on 40th st. east and the other person did exactly the same thing as the red car.
      she stopped at the stop sign heading east on avenue q and then pulled right out in front of me! As the speed limit is 55 mph when traveling on 40th street east I had very
      little time to apply my brakes before hitting the other vehicle. having
      this first hand experience crashing into a vehicle at this same intersection I can assure you it is quite possible the guy in the mercedes did’nt have a chance to apply his brakes before the collision.

• lorie
        December 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm

p.s. the impact was so strong in my collision that it totaled my
        vehicle and there was no ignorance or just wrong on my part!

5. OldCHIPPY
    December 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Let’s make it simple for you home gamers. If the silver car was not drunk, it might have realized the red car wasn’t going to stop. If the red car was not oblivious to to the road conditions and falsey assumed the silver car, drunk or not, was going to keep on going then this would not have happened. I spent 33 years listening to people make excuses for what happened and why it was not their fault. Sometimes it is everones fault!

• lorie
      December 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm

If you read the article correctly you will see that the red car DID stop
      at the stop sign and then pulled out directly infront of the mercedes. Per my reply to trevor B, since I was involved in an accident at the exact same intersection with the exact same circumstances
      3 years ago it is quite possible that there
      was no way the mercedes could have avoided the collision when the red car
      STOPPED at the stop sign and then pulled out directly infront of the mercedes. Yes, sure if the red car was proceeding with no attempt to stop
      for the stop sign, the mercedes driver would have probably assumed the red car was not going to stop for the stop sign and the collision possibly avoided. Those circumstances are totally different than someone stopping at the stop sign and then proceeding!

6. OldCHIPPY
    December 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

The primary collision factor will diffault to the person drunk. The secondary collision factor will be attributed to the the person who made the false assumption there was a stop sign. The person drunk will be prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter regarddless of whether they were the party at fault. Drunk or not, would this have occured if the red car excersised due caution whtether or not there was or was not a stop sign or whether or not the other party was DUI? Give it up folks, sometimes bad things happen on the road because both parties have their heads where they should not be.

• Liz
      December 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m gonna go out on a limb here OldCHIPPY. The red car stopped at their stop sign and then drove into the path of a fast moving silver car. If the red car had not proceeded into the intersection, there would not have been a collision at that time.
      I agree that sometimes bad or terrible things happen to undeserving people. I also believe that driving is a privledge that needs to be taken seriously, every second you’re behind the wheel.
      Inexperience may have been a factor.

• Liz
        December 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

The driver of the Mercedes is screwed.

• pinky
          December 27, 2012 at 4:02 am

No the victim who died and parents/friends and family of victim is screwed. This is why before proceeded forward, whether or not everyone had stop signs, the speed (silver car) was going (as in they weren’t slowing down,should have been a clue and maybe while at that stop, noticing there was only one sign in direction. Young minds do not pay attention and drunk ones don’t care.

• Liz
            December 27, 2012 at 10:08 am

wow, that’s what I said…lots of thumbs up to you. People need to pay attention when they are driving and if they are going to thumbs up or thumbs down a post, maybe they should read it instead of just looking at the posters name. smh

• palmdalian
      December 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Ave. Q speed limit in that area is 55, I think. Q also has those deep gutters in that area for flood control, which can be very dangerous if a driver isn’t familiar with the road. 40th St. E is residential, should have a speed limit of at least 35, and should have a stop sign at that intersection as it drops into a major avenue with a higher speed limit. Very sad someone had to die. I hope the city springs for a stop sign.

• Liz
        December 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

What’s up with the deep trenches along side the roads in that area? When water is covering the road or it’s pouring rain, people can’t tell where the pavement starts and stops. Seem dangerous. Time will tell.

• lorie
        December 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

40th street east does not have a speed limit of 35 even tho only south of ave Q is residential and north of ave. Q is desert. The
        speed limit is 55 mph! People need to take their surroundings into account while driving and pay attention to what the other vehicle is doing but even then, I beleive this mercedes could not have avoided this collision. That’s why they are called accidents!

• Palmdale_Steve
      December 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

A couple of procedure questions:

There was no mention in the article, but in the case of a fatality would the driver of both cars be tested on the scene for impairment?

After testing and finding one driver impaired, would that driver be arrested and or sent to the station and or a hospital for further testing on the level of impairment?

• Bob
        December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

OldCHIPPY doesn’t use his pocket dictionary anymore.

These people would not be given field sobriety tests unless they were unharmed, which was not the case.

Due to possibly respiratory problems arising from the accident, I doubt a breathalyzer would be used as well.

Due to the fatality and conditions of those involved, I assume a blood test was done (at the hospital) to determine level of impairment.

Once level of impairment was determined than at release from the hospital they will be officially booked.

Judging by the accident he was probably observed overnight and booked in the morning with an okay from the Hospital on his condition.

7. Jill
    December 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Give it up Ally and find some peace. Your relatives made a mistake and the facts will reveal it all. Stop spitting into the wind.

• mattjames
      December 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Ally states it was the silver car’s driver that caused the accident, not so. The very young driver in the red car failed to properly stop at a 2 way stop sign and caused a death of a young female.

• mattjames
        December 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm

correction on my part: I didn’t mean to state the the driver of the red car was young, but you get the point. He should have NEVER assumed that the silver car would stop. ALWAYS drive defensively and NEVER assume that a stop sign is a 4-way. PAY ATTENTION, as it might save a life.

• Palmdale_Steve
        December 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Maybe so that the diver of the Red car exercised poor judgement, but the driver of the silver car being legally drunk, i.e. over .08 will lead to charges for that driver of at least vehicular manslaughter.

You drink and drive and are involved in an accident, especially if someone was killed, you will be prosecuted.

• knowitall
          December 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

palmdale_steve: If the 19 year old only yielded the right a -way, her life would have been sparred. I repeat: If the 19 year old had only allowed the driver in the Mercedes to continue driving, her life would have been sparred. Re-read what Dep. Wolfe said:

• Palmdale_Steve
            December 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Maybe yes, maybe no if the driver of the Silver car, Armondo Valenzuela, had been sober he might have been able to avoid the other car, or stop.

In my book, you drink and drive and are in an accident, I would convict you for some role in killing someone thanks to your altered state, i.e. drunk driving. I also hold that view if you are yacking or god forbid texting on your (*&)(&) cell phone and cause a fatal accident, no matter the other drivers role in the accident.

• knowitall
            December 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

the driver of the red car was in his “right” mind and he neglected to yield to the right a way, so your opinion of the mercedes driver being sober does not stand. Bottom line, if the driver had only paid attention to the stop sign, the girl would be alive. Can’t change that, facts are facts.

• Palmdale_Steve
            December 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Well then we disagree in the apportionment of guilt and in my view the case will end up in a court before a Judge and jury. One note, the article did not say what Armondo Valenzuela blew or turned up in a blood test, could been .08, could been higher, who knows.

One thing is for sure, with a death in an accident the DA will be looking hard at charging the driver of the car who was DUI with some sort of vehicular manslaughter charge. If I was on the jury, I would vote to convict the DUI driver for his contribution to the accident. There are now mandatory sentence provisions for convictions of harming someone else while DUI.

The statute covering this would be V C Section 23153 Driving Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs Causing Injury, in this case death.

Lastly, it will be very hard to find a OJ jury up here in the AV that will let a DUI killer walk in my view, feel free to disagree.

• knowitall
            December 26, 2012 at 7:00 pm

@ palmdalesteve

If that makes you feel better, go with that. If the mercedes driver was not DUI and ended up hitting the red car, would you still be blaming the mercedes driver? You cannot guarantee that by being sober, you would at all times, prevent an accident. People screw up, in this case it caused a death.

At least the Mercedes man is off the streets for now.

• Palmdale_Steve
            December 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

“If that makes you feel better, go with that. If the mercedes driver was not DUI and ended up hitting the red car, would you still be blaming the mercedes driver? ”

No I would not blame Armondo Valenzuela for this accident, however, Armondo the driver of the Mercedes was sited for DUI and under the law bears responsibility for the death of Lissbeth Carvajal due to his illegal drinking and driving despite any mistakes made by Zacharias Carbajal in his driving skills. One was a mistake of driving skill, the other an illegal act of driving under the influence which by legal definition is punishable under the law.

• zack carvajal
            December 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

i did yield that car came out of nowhere. It was also gods will to let this happen if it wasnt we would be in a different scenario my wife would still be alive. God works in mysterious ways and he told my wife to take that road I dont question it one bit, but it happened already just let it be. Our families are mourning right now and trying to be at peace. If you believe it was my fault then so be it, I did the correct thing in going my lane was cleared to go the driver appeared out of nowhere but thats not the case. God bless you and goodnight

• Ally
        December 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm

You can say all you want. You don’t know the real facts. You’re not speaking to the authorities or anyone, you’re not a family member. You should be more respectful and consider his loss. That was his wife.

• we care
          December 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm

for goodness sake we have the AV debaters all ways have something to say u all fail to realize it wasn’t the passenger fault her life was took so have some respect for her at least u all loose focus and jump the gun its not about neither drivers try sending your condolences to her family may she rest in peace…..

• VWFish
      December 26, 2012 at 6:22 pm

these are the defensive driving systems I was referring to earlier…

Sorry for the assumption of advertising but this program WORKS!

It puzzles me that I had thumbs down to one of my posts…. I expected it though…. Who ever is “AT FAULT” Families are changed for life.

I have a candle lit in my house…

• Adam Chant
        December 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

Willow Springs Intl Raceway has a Defensive Driving Academy every few months throughout the year. It’s hands down the best way to teach any driver (any age) how to be safe on the road. Knowing how to drive is only part of the equation; knowing how to react and control your vehicle after a mistake can in some cases be the difference between life and death. I think that every driver should take this training and in their own car.

My heart goes out to the people involved in this collision.

Alcohol in the bloodstream impairs reaction times and the Mercedes has a very advanced ABS system that includes traction and stability control in most models. [and a black box, but lets not get into that detail now] Had alcohol not been a factor (even though one mistake was made) the collision could have been avoided. Even at 90 MPH the Mercedes could have decelerated and turned to avoid the other car even with very little time to react.
        Even a mid 90’s Saturn with ABS can take a right hand turn (or agressive lane change) at 60 MPH in 10 feet of space. If you own a car with ABS and don’t think it’s possible then you may want to consider taking a defensive driving class. Understanding and Knowing where you can put you car at any moment is the key to safe driving.

• Ally
      December 26, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I’m not spitting words into the wind. You Jill, should learn the real facts before you say anything.

8. VWFish
    December 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm

NICE…. Updated D U I…. After a bunch of Folks came on here and swore their relatives were not DRINKING…. WOW! A V Peeps making a fool out of themselves!

R.I.P. ***** Lissbeth Carbajal *****

• zack carvajal
      December 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Carvajal* sorry for the correction but its just out of respect for me and my late wife

• VWFish
        December 27, 2012 at 2:09 am

my appologies i read the story and assumed they corrected it….

R.I.P. ***** Lissbeth Carvajal *****

• zack carvajal
          December 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

9. zack carvajal
    December 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

thank you to everyone showing the respect for my late wife god bless you all

and for those who just talked to talk to have something to say god bless you as well

• Letlow
      December 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Sorry for your loss brother. You have my deepest sympathies and condolences. May the New Year bring you strength and healing to get you through this dark hour.

• zack carvajal
        December 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thank you good sir, god bless you and your family have a safe holiday

• VWFish
      December 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Always remember the good times….The Smiles, and laughs….

“The Lord your God will bless you as HE has promised you”

The dark place will see light…Look for support in the right places…

10. Liz
    December 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

If you have a stop sign or red light….or before you are enter any intersection, look left, right, left. Do not proceed unless your path is clear. Don’t assume someone else is going to stop. Just because you have the right of way, doesn’t mean you’re gonna live through the crash. Expect the unexpected, give yourself enough time to get where you are going without speeding. Be courteous, but don’t expect other drivers to be courteous…..chances of running into a courteous driver here in the AV is rare.

• VWFish
      December 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

I agree with this statement 125%! Courteous Driving in GENERAL in the A V… not happening, too many people in a hurry, ignorant to their surroundings, and just down right LAME! I learned this in Commercial Truck Driving School…
      “The difference between driving 65MPH and 75MPH to your destination is only 8-10 minutes sooner. NOT WORTH IT!”
      I see it first hand all the time, racing around these city streets, zig zagging in and out of traffic only to be 2 cars ahead of me waiting at a red light.
      That decision you make to drive crazy can change your life 4EVER!!
      Killing someone, Killing yourself, sitting in the county jail or Prison, YOU WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THAT DECISION THE REST OF YOUR DAYS….
      Look this up…. “The SMITH System” A Defensive driving training program…. IT WORKS!

With that said…God bless this 22 yr old Angel, taken WAYYYYY too soon.
      God Bless her family and people who were close to her in her life.
      The pain will get easier to deal with, REMEMBER the good times! The little things, Light a Candle in memory….
      Kiss your children, parents, loved ones Thank God YOU woke up today NO MATTER HOW JACKED UP THE WORLD AND SOCIETY IS….

One last note…I see some of the same people on this site and boards always feel like they need to put their 50 cents into everything…
      Think for a second…WHAT IF the story was about YOU or YOUR LOVED ONE??
      WHAT IF you were in that ambulence and that person did not pull over for the lights and sirens….and YOU did not make it…. GET A GRIP PEOPLE!!

Happy Holidays….

Now let the disrespectful bashing begin…. What else is there to do in the Antelope Valley??? TYPICAL!

• Liz
        December 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Go Fish!

11. mrs. aa
    December 25, 2012 at 6:04 pm

so sorry for the loss of this young lady..
    but, what made the driver assume the cross street had a stop sign? did he see a sign? has he driven this way before? was he actually paying attention? how could you stop, “look both ways”, and not see a car coming? sadly this is typical of so many “in a rush” and “distracted” drivers.. i see so much of it here in the AV..this should be a wake up call for all drivers..sadly it won’t faze very many..

• Ally
      December 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm

He did have a stop sign.

• Necromancer
        December 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Please read and comprehend…. M’kay, now, try again THEN respond.

12. Jesse Juarez
    December 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

One more thing my brother was not drunk, the had just left church.

13. Jesse Juarez
    December 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I am the drivers older brother. My family and I would like u all to pls keep ur opinions to yourself. We lost someone really speacial in our life. Pls respect the fact that. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect. So pls stop quit taking crap and calling my brother an idiot. If the tables were turned im sure u would be saying all this. Thx.

• Bob
      December 26, 2012 at 11:45 am

Alright, if you do not wish to read people’s opinions it’s simple, don’t go onto this forum and read them.

14. Mrs M
    December 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ms. McNeal, it’s understandable this holiday is a very sad time for you and the family. However, my question is this….instead of being with the family and grieving for the loss of this young woman, why are you here biting the bait that some of these posters are dangling in front of you? If you know what happened and the family knows what happened, that’s all that matters. Don’t spend any more time, energy or emotion trying to deal with those who THINK they know and take pleasure in other peoples pain.

• Mrs M
      December 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Wondered how long it would take for a thumbs down. Some of you have made comments based on ASSUMPTIONS, not facts. Who made you bunch the judge and jury? Other comments on this website regarding other topics are valid points, but when it comes to a fatality, the majority are ready to jump right into the blame game with their “facts” and “sources”.

Some of you have too much time on your hands. Some of you have no compassion. Some are no better than some of the thugs that articles are written about because instead of a weapon, you choose to kick below the belt, name call, insult. And this is not a specific reference to this article. It’s about practically every fatal collision in the last few months. Shame on you all. Too bad this website is starting to read like Craigslist.

15. Gerry
    December 25, 2012 at 11:03 am

She is going to be misses. I’m heart broken but the best memory of her will be her smile n was very happy. God bless there family n friends

16. George Smith
    December 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Maybe a giant traffic circle (aka Rex PArris Way) should be implemented here.

• Lee
      December 25, 2012 at 8:15 am

This is terrible, hopefully some good can come of it and WE ALL could slow down alittle in the AV!

17. Mick
    December 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

The crazy intersections out here are why I drive a 30 year old Volvo, boxy but safe. I’m so sorry for this young woman, her child and her family.

18. temeka
    December 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Liz was a beautiful person and she will truly be missed especially by the children she worked with. I don’t know how to tell my four year old son that she is gone. He will be so devastated. Liz rest in peace and you will truly be missed.

19. Amber McNeal
    December 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Her name was Lissbeth Carvajal and she was an amazing person and will always be in our hearts.

20. keep it real
    December 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm

So sad God bless her fam at this time

21. Palmdale_Steve
    December 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

Sad to see yet another traffic collision in the AV take a life.

22. Wow
    December 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

What an idiot. “assumed” there was a stop sign? now he’s responsible for killing someone two days before christmas.

• Kullid
      December 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Yep, a lot of folks out here assume that all of these intersections in the AV are four way stops; NOT SO. Sorry someone has to lose their life.

• missbob
        December 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm

why are u guys so quick to judge the person who did not make the stop sign he made a mistake but what about the other driver that was driving drunk perhaps if he wouldnt of been drunk he could of seen them and stoped before he hit them have you guys stopped to think about that

• Palmdale_Steve
      December 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

You can look at the intersection on Google Maps, street view mode and judge for yourself.

The person driving the Red car made a real mistake for sure. That intersection isn’t even tricky and the silver car wasn’t coming out of the setting sun or anything.

• Amber McNeal
        December 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

First off you were not even there and do not know the full story and there have been several accidents on that street because of how the intersection is set up this is just the first one that resulted in a death. So instead of you assuming that you know it all just keep your comments to yourself. Im so tired of Insensitive people and their ignorant minds.

• Palmdale_Steve
          December 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Well Ms. Amber I’ve probably been driving longer than you’ve been alive without a major accident. While I’m no expert, I can look at pictures of a street corner intersection and imagine how the driver of the red car made an assumption, a bad assumption that got someone killed. I’m guessing you were a friend of the young lady killed in the accident or maybe even more directly involved.

I’ve seen lots of foolish divers, lots of distracted drivers and just plain idiots behind the wheel up here in the AV. Throw in the stupidity of younger drivers and cell phone yacking/texting and it’s rather amazing more young drivers aren’t killed.

Ignorance seems to be in the eye of the beholder in this case. In this case, ignorance coupled with lousy driver skills got someone killed. You can make all the excuses you want, and that won’t bring back the young lady killed in this accident. Sorry for the loss, but bad driving gets people killed. Deal with it.

• Amber McNeal
            December 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Good for you do you want a cookie? Too bad nobody is trying to point the blame here but random ass people who don’t know nothing. Nobody is trying to bring her back we know that she is in Gods hands and everything happens for a reason. We’ve accepted what happend and we’re moving on. All the details weren’t even in this article and there’s way more to the story so the only ignorant person here is you and others who feel the need to share what they think when they are clearly talking out of the side of their ass.

• L
          December 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm

This is another alcohol involved incident. Both drivers were DUI. One party blew a .13.

• Palmdale_Steve
            December 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Where’d you get that? Hasn’t been reported anywhere else.

• Mick
            December 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

And you know this how?

• Amber McNeal
            December 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Too bad both driver weren’t. I don’t know where your getting your facts from but your so far from the truth it’s not even funny

• Ally
            December 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

one was DUI . I know for a fact.

• Ally
        December 25, 2012 at 6:04 pm

The person driving the red car didn’t make a mistake. It was the person in the silver car who decided to drive drunk.

• Bob
          December 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

• lorie
          December 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I beg to differ but get it straight!!! The person in the red car was, is, and always has been the one who was at fault causing this accident. Yes, he was the one who made the mistake!

• Jaleesa
      December 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That person who your calling a idiot is her husband, he truly thought there was a four way stop. People who are not from Palmdale don’t know that it’s not a four way stop. You don’t know the full story, so your the idiot for calling him a idiot. That was my friend my sister and now a she gone and her husband is now widow. So please keep your idiotic comments to yourself.

• Les
        December 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

Whether you’re familiar with the area you’re driving in or not it’s the drivers responsibility to observe and follow traffic signs. Being unfamiliar with an area should make you even more cautious.
        I’ve been driving through this location for 15+ years and never seen an accident.

• Doesn't matter
      December 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Bottom line no one is an idiot. Accidents happen and lives are lost. Be respectful please. Her family and his is already going through a lot no one needs to read a comment and see someone calling them names. Trust this is something he has to live with for the rest of his life. Holding on to guilt and feeling it was is fault when the silver car could have slowed down if that driver was paying attention. Bottom line things happen and it’s no ones fault. Trust God makes no mistakes. It’s His will and it shall be done. It’s written from the moment you are born your days are numbered and to us it’s always to soon but for God it’s right on time. It’s only through death will we know and fulfill our purpose in life.
      Liss I love you and trust I know you are in good hands no GREAT hands. I will always remember your smile and that laugh. From my mouth to your ears I love you. R.I.P.

• PLM264
        December 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Two drunk drivers unable to react & avoid a tragic collision.

• Amber McNeal
          December 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm

No not two drunk drivers check your sources.

• amy
            December 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m sure PLM264 is a good source. Keep up the good work Deps. and please help us in keeping people like that off the streets is holiday season.

• Amber McNeal
            December 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

I know all the details and for a fact both drivers were not drunk

• knowitall
            December 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

so sure you know more than a deputy who investigated the scene. Face it, you’re biased because it’s obvious that you’re one of the relatives who like many can’t accept the fact that YOUR family member made a mistake (caused a death) and can’t handle the blame. Accountability…

• Palmdale_Steve
          December 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I can’t find the site now, but there is a public site that has accident reports on it. If as you say this was an impaired driving accident, that would be stated on the report.

Perhaps the staff of the AVTimes can find the report and link to the actual accident report.

• knowitall
            December 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’m sure it’ll be reported very soon. Note to people: when you are approaching an intersection, slow down/stop and look both ways before proceeding. As for a stop sign, it’s ALWAYS best to look at the sign to see if there’s a “4-way” white sign underneath the red sign. Common sense guys…

With the increase of people driving drunk, talking on cell phones, texting, etc., it’s always best to safe than sorry.

• Ally
      December 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Instead of blaming him, blame the actual idiot who drove drink and hit THEM!

• mattjames
        December 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

you’re wrong…

• Ally
          December 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’m not wrong.

• amy
            December 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

you are.

• lorie
          December 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Yes Ally, your definately wrong!