Deputies take down youth tagging crew

Photos of vandalism courtesy of LASD.

LANCASTER – After a month-long investigation, CORE Team deputies busted the tagging crew believed to be responsible for more than 400 acts of vandalism at various locations around Lancaster.

Three 14-year-old White males and one 14-year-old Hispanic male, whose names were not released, were arrested Thursday (Nov. 15) for felony vandalism.

The four boys, who are members of the same tagging crew, are accused of causing more than $200,000 in property damage, authorities said.

“It’s costing the tax payers a lot of money for their damage because it’s all city-owned property and schools,” said Lancaster Community Relations Deputy Michael Rust.

The tagging crew primarily targeted Lancaster city property, as well as Cole Middle and Eastside High Schools, according to investigators.

Rust said the four juveniles make up the entire tagging crew, but he did not disclose the name of the tagging crew, as not to give the youths any additional exposure.

Lancaster Station’s CORE Team deputies Knight and Zeko began researching and investigating the crew in October, and each boy was arrested at his home Thursday.

“It depends on the judge, but it’s a distinct possibility that the parents will be held responsible for their vandalism,” Rust said.

47 comments for “Deputies take down youth tagging crew

1. Sherry
    November 19, 2012 at 8:33 am

I think all offenders, regardless of age, should have their names and booking photos published. We should all be able to identify these troublemakers. Enough of this babying the juvenile delinquents nonsense. Throw the book at them.

2. Doc Rivers
    November 17, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I am sure the eye in the sky is the real reason the taggers were caught. We will all be reading about it as soon as the press release hits the media.

• Noneya
      November 20, 2012 at 1:53 am

Dont bet the farm on that statement. That plane is the biggest joke that R.Rex whatever his name is, has ever been part of. Thank god there not charging the city for the first year of its use… What a waste of money. I’ve spoke to several deputies I know and a couple I talk to in passing and damned if every single one hasnt said the exact thing. “What a damn waste of money” & a few said there making it out to be such a good thing to the public’s eye just to make Rex look like a hero….. so ya don’t get to excited over the plane…

3. Frank Rizzo
    November 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

OMG, they took out a harcore gang! Just think what if they focused on the crips,bloods MS 13 and other assorted dirt bags!

4. ed
    November 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Four 14 year old kids get caught for writing on a wall and the community wants to cut off their hands and hold the parents responsible. Did’nt any of you do something stupid when you were a teeager? The only one that admits it gives the answer. Peer pressure and a in day jail. Require that they remove the taggings, in jail jump suits in front of their peers.

• Otto
      November 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Then cut off their hands when they’re done.

• Nancy P
      November 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Pretty drastic huh?

• Otto
        November 16, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Just a little light hearted humor.

5. ruserious
    November 16, 2012 at 8:37 am

It’s scary to read some of the comments you guys post. It’s as if you think you are a different species. I guess if these “miscreants” weren’t here, we’d all be normal, huh? Nevermind the closed minded neanderthal Nephilim that cause all the mayhem in the world with their greed lust, it’s the victims fault. These kids come from a world filled with images of ‘normal’ that include tagging, smoking, drinking, etc… .Where is the “Christlike” compassion that Jesus felt when he came? The simple fact is that the Michael D. Antonovich Courthouse is the biggest and most popular building in this valley and second to that, as far as popularity, is the County offices. That’s why this system has failed miserably and only a Divine Kingdom can restore humans to humanity and civility.

• Otto
      November 16, 2012 at 8:59 am

After reading all of that, I still believe that taggers are lowlife scumbags.

• Newman
        November 16, 2012 at 9:15 am

• Yo Mama
        November 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Otto, you and I need to have a drink sometime. Here, here!!!

• Otto
          November 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Cheers, Yo Mama!!!

• HM
        November 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I so agree, Otto….are these kids just out running around without their parents knowing where they are..or maybe the parents could care less..time for the taxpayers to stop having to foot the bill for these little jackasses fun and games..make them responsible..make their parents responsible..

• Otto
          November 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

• November 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ruserios-ly making excuses for the taggers? Pretty cut and dry crime. With all the “temptations” you mentioned, it’s even more important to teach your children respect and self control.There is alot of work that needs to be done with the taggers and their families. It needs to start at home. Don’t think we all should have to wait for the Divine Kingdom to live graffit free.

• Matt K.
      November 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

A major flaw in your thinking is that you seem to believe that its OK to trash the earth and ruin the environment here because a “Divine Kingdom” awaits you somewhere else.

But what about the passage where Christ speaks of the “Kingdom within”? What about the passage that states “wherever two or more gather, I am there”? Are these verses not relevant as well?

You’re using an Old Testament word, “Nephilim”, in an attempt to make the actions of the taggers seem relevant. In doing so, however, you have grossly misinterpreted the word and taken it out of context. It must be a word you heard your pastor use (probably out of context also). Since your keen on using Old Testament lingo, shall we also revert to Old Testament remedies for punishment? I can guarantee that if we did, we wouldn’t have a tagging problem!

• Sedrick
      November 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

Great…another bible thumper heard from.

• November 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Just because someone can debate with person making biblical references doesn’t make them a bible thumper. And even if they are a bible thumper…what’s wrong with that? Too conservative? Believes in right and wrong with a clear grasp on why they feel that way? Or is it the fact they may be educated on something you may not know about? Just curious.

• Sedrick
          November 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m an agnostic, so quotations from the so-called good book annoy me. I know right from wrong, and have done okay these 70 years without worshiping a questionable deity.

• Nancy P
            November 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm

good for you. Praise God :) Have a blessed day.

6. November 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I don’t think there is any way to enforce collection from the parents. You can lien their property, if they own any. But then what?..It gets paid out of the profits of a sale? When was the last time the city collected on something like that? Never. The parents can say they need a payment plan and can only pay $5 a month. Then the city has to have someone to keep track of the balance and payments. Hardly cost effective.
    These kids go to camp, get out, go to camp again. Over and over until they are old enough to go to jail. By that time they are hardened gang members, no longer tagging. Now they are assaulting strangers and robbing people and places of business. Selling drugs and doing drugs, stealing cars and robbing houses.
    Early intervention programs that the whole family would be ordered to participate it might work. But who would pay for that? Also, you know the parents would have a million excuses not to show up.
    My personal belief is that by the time they are out tagging stuff, they are lost souls and they don’t want to be found. Their moms are in denial and will “bail” the kid out before our LASD has the chance to do the paperwork.
    Good work to the CORE Team for arresting them and to the neighbors who reported the activity in the neighborhoods.

• Bob
      November 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

Maybe we should cut a finger off from each hand for tagging, theft, etc. It would make it pretty obvious who the problems are, and they only get five chances to screw up.

• November 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Bob, 10 chances if you count thumbs!

• Bob
          November 16, 2012 at 10:47 pm

One from each hand at the same time is better, 10 chances is way too many.

• ExTagger
      November 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

FYI, I used to be a tagger. More than 15 years ago. After being arrested twice (neither for tagging, but it was a related charge), and spending 24 hours in a LAPD Jail facility, I changed my ways pretty quick. Having to endure multiple court appearances, which interfered with both my work and school schedule, I decided to stop doing stupid things, at stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people. I don’t blame anybody else but me for being such an idiot, and now I actually support law enforcement 100%, and work with them. Not all people are lost causes, but an individual has to want it, and needs to see a way out. Personally I think mandatory jail tours for teens would help some. It would help keep those on the edge from falling into the bull[removed]. Won’t help all, but it would help some.

• Adam Chant
        November 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm

If you have a teenager they need to know the 4S rule ExTagger learned and practice it every day.

Not to be confused with the 4Qs <- old cheerleading joke.

4S rule: Don't do stupid things, at stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people.

Seriously sometimes I text my son's cell phone and ask him, "How are your 4S's going?"

• November 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Early intervention in the form of jail visits worked for you? Good, maybe that could be done with at risk kids. Scared Straight is a good thing. Congratulations!
        Adam, I like the texts to your son idea.

• Yo Mama
        November 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Nice work, Homey…

• November 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Nice to hear you have changed your ways. You proved it can be done. I really believe they should teach the 4 S’s in school.
        I wish the courts would make the 4 boys and their parents go out and clean up their kids tagging. Parents need to know what their kids are doing and be responsible for their actions.

7. FUNNY
    November 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

cut there hands off ,If there is no consequences they will keep doing it a good whipping did work on me when i was a kid but now they have time out good luck with that,

8. really
    November 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Does anyone remember the American that was busted for vandalism in Singapore way back when? He was pubicly cained! I bet he got right real quick! Let the property owner have a few whacks as part of the restitution.

• Sedrick
      November 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Excellent idea, Really.

9. QHR
    November 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Damn thugs! Kudos to the deputies that found them.

10. Watchinallayouz
    November 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I wish these idiot kids would be punished by having to clean up the damage they have done!! Courts are too easy on em!! Make em work, they’d hate it!!

• Otto
      November 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Good idea. And, make ’em clean up the damage that the other ones did as well. Screw them.

• T Resendez
      November 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

make their parents pay for damages!

11. Dinky
    November 15, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I wonder if these are the same bunch of kids who broke car Windows in my neighborhood in palmdale

• Otto
      November 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Why capitalize windows and not Palmdale…just curious.

• Adam Chant
        November 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Probably a Microsoft conspiracy or something.

posted from my iPhone.

• Dinky
          November 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Seriously lol

• Dinky
        November 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

My phone did that not me and I wasn’t paying attention before I hit post comment

• Otto
          November 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

OK, I buy that. You’re grammar grade will be changed from B to A.

Posted from my Iphone (yes, I ripped that off from Adam).

• Dinky
            November 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Lol :-)

• Sedrick
      November 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were. These little miscreants will do anything for a thrill. Too bad we don’t have retroactive birth control; many problems solved.

12. Otto
    November 15, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Taggers are lowlife scumbags.

13. Palmdale_Steve
    November 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I do hope the parents are held responsible for this crime, tax payers don’t need to.