Man dies in crash after high-speed pursuit

PALMDALE – A 40-year-old Lancaster man fleeing a traffic stop was killed Monday morning (Nov. 12) after he ran a red light and crashed into a big rig in a Palmdale intersection, authorities said.

The fatal collision happened around 12:42 a.m. in the intersection of 47th Street East and Avenue R, according to Palmdale Station traffic detective Jeff Perkins.

Mark Antuna was driving a 1990 Ford F-250 pickup truck, eastbound on Avenue R, when he failed to stop for a red light and ran into a Freightliner tractor trailer that was traveling southbound on 47th Street East on a green light, Perkins said.

“He[Anthuna] was involved in a pursuit prior to the fatal collision,” Perkins said, adding that the brief police chase began after deputies attempted to stop Antuna.

“It started on 12th Street East, just south of Avenue Q, and it ended on Avenue Q, at about 31st Street East,” Perkins said. “The watch commander canceled the pursuit because the speeds were getting too high and it was getting too dangerous.”

About four minutes after the chase was called off, Palmdale Sheriff’s Station began receiving 9-1-1 calls about the fatal collision, Perkins said.

“The deputies were not following the driver at this point,” Perkins said.

Only two vehicles were involved in the collision, and both drivers were the sole occupants in their vehicles.

Antuna was transported to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he died of his injuries. The big rig’s driver, 34-year-old Raul Lopez of Littlerock, complained of pain to his right leg and shoulder but was not transported to the hospital, Perkins said.

The incident remains under investigation.

86 comments for “Man dies in crash after high-speed pursuit

1. marisa
    February 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

wow!all them ppl who r talking the smake about my brother inlaw go head&say wat u like it dosent matter 2us we new who he was &thats all that matter’s but would u like some 1 too talk about ur loved one like that no rite???so all i have 2 say is GOD will take care of u in his own way,so with that been said god bless u all..”r.i.p brother mark” ur always in r heart’ was a pleasure do be ur sister inlaw u were a GREAT MAN OF GOD…

2. Nancy P
    February 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Any follow up on this terrible accident that took the life of a much loved man, Mark Antuna?

3. Sedrick
    November 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm

@ Samuel. Hey, I’m not the one boasting about this guy’s accomplishments. All I’m asking for is some sort of confirmation. Words are cheap.

• Samuel Alvarez
      November 19, 2012 at 11:35 pm

You’re not boasting because you do not know him and once more don’t worry about how he does things.

4. boscoe
    November 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Death like this never gives us the opportunity to ask “why”, Your uncles mistake was paid for with his life and I feel your loss. It is a miracle no one else was killed as so many beautiful people have been killed recently by drunk or careless drivers. Victims of these acts, as well as family members live on to carry the burden and as someone who knows that burden only to well I can say that time will heal but not give back. Remember his good deeds.

5. Melindapu
    November 15, 2012 at 10:19 pm

What kind of person are you? Do you take pleasure in fighting with his own family during a time like this? Reguardless of how and why the accident happened, what If this was your son or brother? Would you like it if people who didn’t know you tried to disgrace his name or memory. It was a mistake. Have you ever cheated on a test because you didn’t study enough and realized you shouldn’t have? Have you ever lied to someone and later saw that it was the wrong thing to do? Mistakes. Thats what they are. Before you point your finger at someone, make sure your hands are clean.

6. November 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

DiaAnna, I am sorry for your loss. Losing someone you and so many people loved is never easy under any circumastances.
    I think Letlow made a very true statement at 10:02 on 11/14.”You will get no sympathy from most of the posters on this site.” There is a group of people (sounds like some in uniform), who post on this website that take it upon themselves to attack any statement they can for pleasure or sport. Those who do not join them are clearly seen as against them. It’s a game to them. Again, I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle.

7. Melinda
    November 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm

It is truely digusting that people in this valley take the time out of their precious day to bad-mouth someone that they don’t even know. Just because Mark, who I knew personally and considered family to me, had ONE bad night, and is now gone forever, DOES NOT make him a monster that people here are trying to make him out to be. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the whole story was not reported? You do not know everything that happened that night. He was a great man, husband, father, son, brother, uncle, friend and PREACHER. This family has lost a wonderful person. They will no longer see his smile, hear his laugh, have the warmth of a hug, or hear his voice preach about his love for God and the good in people. I myself am lucky that I got to see him only hours before this nightmare happened and I value that very much. So, keep on with the negative comments about a man that you have no idea of who he really was, because I know he’ll forgive you.

• Amanda
      November 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Melinda, thank you for your kind words about Mark. DiAnna is my niece, & she was extremely distraught over this. I myself am not related to Mark, but I heard of the things he did to help people & serve the Lord. I know Dianna and the rest of his family appreciate your words and the love you have for him.
      Thank you again!

• Melinda
        November 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

It is just horrible that people are trying to make it seem like he has been the only one in this world that has ever made a mistake. Mark wasn’t perfect, no one is, but he shouldn’t be disgraced because of one mistake, something that we all make. The only true blessing in this, is that no one else was seriously injured.

November 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

It was not a mistake, it was a decision by him, one that put other people’s lives in jeopardy. His drinking got the better of him.

• November 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I think everyone has heard you loud and clear BOB.

November 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Obviously not, because they keep posting the same bs, so I will continue to post as well.

• celina
            February 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

YOU ARE AN IDIOT. you should shut your stupid ass mouth! MY FATHER was a great man and u know nothing about him u know nothing about what we were going through as a family and what he was going through internally when everything happened. That night did take his life but if u could look in the past and see what he was really like youd be ashamed of yourself i hate ignorant people like you. Normally i wouldnt waste my time on someone as stupid as yourself but seeing as this is my dad your talking about someone needs to put you in your place i hope God gives you whats coming your way for being so judgmental and rude.

8. Otto
    November 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm

i hope the big rig driver is ok. Sometimes after a big wreck, the pain can get worse. Let’s hope not in this case.

• Yo Mama
      November 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Race car drivers say the third day’s the worst…

• Otto
        November 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Makes sense to me.

• Teresa
      November 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

The driver of the rig is not doing so well but will recover from this horrible accident, he’s unable to work due to his injuries, its sad that Mark died because of his ignorant decision to drive like a maniac putting inocent people in danger, but now the driver of the truck he slammed into has injuries and forces him to stay home without his comfortable paycheck

9. shannon
    November 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Bob your heart is no good.

• Tyrone
      November 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

As was said by your friend: “clearly you don’t know him at all, so keep your terrible comments to yourself.”

• Samuel
        November 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Okay. YOU can shut the [removed] up, too because Bob was talking [removed] about my uncle.

November 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I appreciate the shout out, but I do have a heart. It is for people who work hard and try to live their life right, all the time. They are the ones punished by selfish people only looking out for themselves.

No matter what this man did in his past, the night of the accident he was being selfish and inconsiderate.

He endangered lives for his own selfish reasons, that is the bottom line.

• Samuel Alvarez
        November 15, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Thats where you’re wrong, [removed]. Mark was a great uncle. You do not know him therefore you can not judge, you piece of [removed]. -Samuel Alvarez

November 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

There is nothing wrong or false about my statement above.

The truth is he was being selfish the night of the accident because he was only worrying about himself, not caring about what his actions would do to other people around him.

If I cannot judge him, than you cannot judge me, or are you a hypocrite?

• Samuel
            November 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm

There are plenty of wrongs in your statements, “Bob” because you say this like you knew him. You say this like you were there. So please explain this to me, “Bob”. How is he being selfish?? Maybe I am a hipocrite. What do you think I would do when you’re talking [removed] about my dead uncle?? You’re selfish for trying to degrade him!!

10. shannon
    November 15, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Wow!! I can’t believe you people, your lives probably only exist behind a computer and that’s why you lack such compassion..

• Tyrone
      November 15, 2012 at 8:15 pm

As your dear fellow poster put on here: “keep your terrible comments to yourself.”

You fools probably can’t even follow the foolish advice you blabber about on here.

11. November 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

First and foremost my thoughts and prayers are sent out to Mark and your Family, No one knows why this event happened or the real reason why it did. I have known Mark for many years and was given the opportunity to know him clean and sober. He was a amazing person and yes he did change many life’s in this desert. Rest in peace my friend

12. DiAnna
    November 15, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I would like to say, I am sorry for that man who was injured, no he didn’t deserve the physical pain he received, but Mark Antuna doesn’t deserve the reader’s words of hate either.
    Thank you Raul Lopez for your reported prayer, it’s much appreciated.
    Also, if you were not at the scene of the crime, and if you were not acquainted with either individual, then don’t waste your time, your words are biased and undesired.

13. shannon
    November 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

What if, what if… yes anythiing could have happened , but to blame a man for what could’ve happened but didn’t is awful… he lost his life, a family lost there son.. and there’s no way around that.. bottom line!

November 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

He ran from the cops, almost killed a trucker, and you still want to say “but he didn’t,” you are a horrible person for saying it is okay because no one did die.

Think of it this way, if someone fired into a crowd of people, but no one was hit, you still would think that person who fired into a crowd wasn’t horrible?

November 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Well, no once except the horrible person making the decisions.

• shannon
        November 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thank God that no one was hurt!!!! And that’s that fact no one else was hurt.. and he paid dearly..

November 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

The truck driver was injured (complain of pain in his shoulder and his leg), but not transported to the hospital (the trucker’s decision.) That is also not including the psychological impact of driving a vehicle involved in a deadly crash.

You read that article as well as the idiot read the stop sign.

• shannon
            November 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Well, the truck driver got to go home to be with his family, Mark did not, he paid for his mistake with his life.. u don’t need to sit here and bash him.. have some respect for his family who is left to live without their son, brother, and father.

November 15, 2012 at 5:18 pm

first of all, you were not there, and you don’t know the whole story. don’t believe everything the internet tells you. you know what? this man didn’t “complain”, the truck driver PRAYED for that man who lost his life. he PRAYED at the scene of the crime. and for you to slander people you don’t know, speaks lowly about yourself. i don’t care who you are, what you do, or what you THINK you know, i will ALWAYS defend those in need and i will ALWAYS defend that man who lost his life.

November 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

who the HELL do you think you are calling him an idiot!? you don’t know what happened! there was a pursuit, but does it say why?! what did this man do that appeared so terrible that cops began to follow him, then chase him, then leave him frantic? i don’t want to hear anymore of your ignorance.

November 15, 2012 at 5:56 pm

So Dianna, tell me, why did he run? Most, if not all, law abiding citizens do no run from the cops.

So tell me miss know it all, why did he run? Was it drugs? Legal status? What?

Your ignorance is amazing if you think cops suddenly go on a high speed pursuit for no reason. Chances are he was being pulled over for a traffic violation, expired tags, etc and he flipped out and ran.

November 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

yeah exactly he flipped out and ran. NO it wasn’t drugs, NO it wasn’t legal status. Yeah I am miss know it all because I do know that man! That was my Uncle, and as I have said before, he truly was a good person, he did one thing wrong, and that one thing ended his life. have you no respect for his family; his parents, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, wife, daughters, sons?! YOUR lack of decency amazes me.

• Teresa
            November 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thank god Raul got to go home and was spared by this maniac!

• shannon
      November 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

14. Concered
    November 15, 2012 at 7:26 am

Good man?

Think you might want to take a deeper look into who he was. Good men don’t run from the cops. What if he would have t-boned a car with a family of 5 in it, instead of being hit by a truck? Would he be a “good man” then?

It was by pure luck it was a truck, and not a car full of people. It’s clear he wouldn’t have stopped for either. If he would have been looking, and seen the truck coming he would have done everything possible to avoid it.

Very sorry for your loss, but good people don’t run from the cops and put the lives of other people on the line just so you don’t have to pull over!

• November 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm

stupid? yes. Certainly not the best idea he ever had. Mean and nasty…no.

November 15, 2012 at 5:24 pm

oh, so you’re saying you know this man personally? you think you can sit on your computer and say he is a bad person? because you know him so well? well then clearly you don’t know him at all, so keep your terrible comments to yourself.

• Concered
        November 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Dianna…..get a clue.

15. Nancy
    November 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I agree, he was a good man to the people. Our hearts go out to his family….God bless his soul!

November 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

Good men don’t injure innocent people because they are willfully speeding and driving dangerously.

• November 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Good men don’t injure innocent people because they are willfully speeding and driving dangerously unless they have made a really stupid decision.

November 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

A stupid decision is cutting off a car because you thought you had more room. A HORRIBLE decision is running from the cops and almost killing innocent people. He deserved his fate.

• shannon
            November 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Shame on you bob

November 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m not the one that ran from the cops, ran a stop sign, almost killed a truck driver, and killed myself.

I did not do anything to be ashamed of, while this moron who died did.

• shannon
            November 15, 2012 at 4:50 pm

U should be ashamed of ur lack of respect for any of his family who r reading this

November 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

how dare anyone say someone deserves to die?! YOU are a horrible person.

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Mellow out Dianna….not a big deal. No innocent parties were killed.

November 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

mellow out? tell me that when your uncle is taken away from you and every random bastard on the internet thinks they can take a jab at him. you don’t know him or the situation he was in, you don’t know how terrible his family feels. and for me to see these comments just about makes me sick. let me tell you something, that man was GOOD! he made ONE mistake, ONE! he wasn’t a reckless driver, a drug dealer, a criminal- he drove fast this one time, & maybe he tried to stop it but even he lost control, you don’t know!- so don’t tell me to mellow out. if you had a heart, you would be defensive too.

November 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

He had plenty of time to slow down after the cops turned on their lights and sirens. He chose to continue speeding. He did so dangerously, and to reduce the danger the cops stopped following from the ground. He was the one that kept going full bore. There is no excuse for what he did, so stop making one.

November 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

oh really bob? were you there? were you the cop who chased him? how can you justify your statement?

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Mellow out sweety.

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 6:18 pm

PS- My uncle wouldn’t run from the cops. He’s a law abiding citizen. Nobody got “taken away” in this situation.

November 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

still no answer, were you the one chasing my uncle? i didn’t think so. nobody was killed but my uncle. nobody is grieving but his family and friends. why are you all so heartless? you don’t speak to defend anybody, you speak to cause harm, and here you are -speaking against him, saying he “could have” killed somebody else, just so you can justify that he “could have” harmed others. well whatre you doing?. go comment on stories about people who murder their families. leave my uncle alone.

• Otto
          November 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

So using that logic, a rapist just made a stupid decicion, right?

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

How could somebody dislike the fact that I corrected my spelling?? WTF?

November 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Otto they didn’t like that you used the word “dammit”

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh yeah…My foul mouth has gotten me into trouble before.

16. shannon
    November 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Horrible, horrible ,horrible… my heart goes out to his family.. .. u will be missed by many(3

November 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm

17. someone
    November 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This was my family member. he was not a bad men. He actually did allot of good for people. This is not how he needs to be remembered by his family and friends.

• Letlow
      November 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I feel bad about your family member, but I can’t help but wonder why he ran from deputies in the first place. High speed chases are dangerous and put lots of lives at risk. Also, if your family member had slammed into a motorcycle rather than a big rig, then we would have one more dead motorcyclist.

Hopefully you can look past this bad decision that Mr. Antuna made on Monday and hold on to the good memories of him instead. But I’ll warn you. You will get no sympathy from most of the posters on this site.

November 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm

you and i both wonder, but believe me, he was great. he changed many lives, he took ex convicts and turned their lives around, he made his family laugh all of the time, he was really family orientated, he really was great to his mother and father- never showed disrespect, always visited. he was great to his brothers and sisters, always helped them when they needed it, sent prayers for them when he felt they needed them, and he was a great uncle to his nieces and nephews, always making them laugh, and taking them into his home when they needed him. he was great to his friends, he was always able to give advice to them when they needed it and to hear them when they spoke.He was great, and it hurts to see all these people slander him based on one mistake he made in his life, not even knowing how great he really was.

• Sedrick
          November 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

WOW, what a great human being; right up there with Mother Theresa. Let’s all petition the pope to grant him sainthood.

• Teresa
          November 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

DiAnna, quit saying he made only 1mistake in his life im sure you weren’t with him 24/7 your whole life, sure around family he’s that saint u make him out to be, come on girl, if he ran grom the cops he had something to hide, oh and you weren’t there either, so quit making excuse for his stupid actions…….gimmie a break!

• November 14, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Good people sometimes make bad decisions. Sorry for your loss. I agree with Letlow, prepare yourself for some mean nasty comments.

• Otto
        November 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

It’s mean and nasty to run from the cops….

• November 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm

stupid? yes. Certainly not the best idea he ever had. Mean and nasty…no.

• Otto
            November 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

It’s all three. It’s a crime. Glad no innocent people killed.

November 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

Good men don’t injure innocent people because they are willfully speeding and driving dangerously to avoid the police.

November 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

how can you justify that statement based off of one fact? he was speeding, that is all you have. does it say how many people he saved from drugs? from gangs? does it say how many lives he changed prior to this one event? no it doesn’t, so rethink what you’re going to post -before you post it.

November 15, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I can say that, a bad deed can indeed ruin a life of “good” deeds. Hey, the BTK killer helped out in his local church and people could say the same about him, but do all those prior good deeds make him a good guy? No.

November 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm

you are so ignorant it’s ridiculous.

November 15, 2012 at 6:14 pm

no, no, no, it is not even your ignorance, it’s your lack of respect! your disrespect is what sets people off, and I bet you enjoy hurting people, that’s why you insist on arguing against him and his family.

• Sedrick
          November 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

So Dianna, enlighten us. How many people did Mr. Good Guy save from drugs and gangs? Give us some stats, or are you just blowing smoke?

November 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm

im sorry, did i offend you? did my defense for my recently deceased family member offend you? why would i discuss my uncles triumphs with somebody so unconcerned and shallow? really, no respect.

• Samuel
            November 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm

lt’s really none of your business how he did anything, “Sedrick”.

• Teresa
          November 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Sounds to me like he was a drug addict himself!

• Teresa
            November 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

DiAnna you should be mad at your caring uncle for putting your family through this!