LANCASTER – With the Nov. 6 election quickly approaching, several local organizations are hosting a community-wide election forum to allow residents to voice concerns, get information on various ballot items, and interface with local candidates.
The free, non-partisan event will be held from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Thursday at the Growing Valley Baptist Church at 44818 20th Street West in Lancaster.
The forum is co-sponsored by several churches, sororities, and fraternities in response to the perception that voters who commute out of the local area have very limited opportunities to interface with candidates for public office, said organizer Brenda Watts.
Watts said all local candidates for U.S. Congress, State Senate, State Assembly, and Antelope Valley Hospital Board were invited to the forum, and the following candidates have confirmed attendance as of Tuesday:
- Dr. Lee Rogers – U.S. Congress, 25th District
- Star Moffatt –State Senate, 21st District
- Steve Fox – State Assembly, 36th District
- Berna Mayer – Antelope Valley Hospital Board
- Cedric Johnson – Antelope Valley Hospital Board
- Mike Rives – Antelope Valley Hospital Board
The forum format will allow voters to ask questions of candidates. Local educators will also be on hand to help voters decipher several bonds/initiatives that impact local schools, Watts said.