Man found dead inside car ID’d

36-year-old Jose Avalos of Lancaster was found dead inside a car parked at Stater Bros. Monday. Photo by LUIS MEZA.

Photo by LUIS MEZA.

LANCASTER – Authorities have released the identity of a man who was found dead inside a car parked at a Lancaster shopping center early this week.

The body of Jose Avalos, 36, of Lancaster, was found around 1:30 p.m. Monday in the 1800 Block of 20th Street East in Lancaster, according to Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter.

The body was in the back seat of a Toyota Avalon that was parked in the Staters Bros. lot; a Staters Bros. employee made the discovery, said Lancaster Community Relations Deputy Michael Rust.

Rust said there were no signs of foul play or trauma to the body, and no suicide note was found.

An autopsy and toxicology report is scheduled for today (Sept. 6) to determine the manner of death, Winter said.

Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station at 661-948-8460.

** Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story misidentified the deceased in the photo caption. Thank you ‘T-Bone’ and ‘Me’ for the catch. **

34 comments for “Man found dead inside car ID’d

1. Sandrita
    September 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

My sincere condolences to the family of this deceased young man. Never mind the negative and hateful comments from the pee brained people that do not know respect of self or others.

I go to this shopping center frequently, and this is horribly sad.

2. NS
    September 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

May you Rest In Peace Joey.. You will be missed !

3. Hk
    September 7, 2012 at 12:05 am

I miss you Joey. You were so awesome. Sorry this happened to you. You were a good peron. Rest in peace.

4. Tracy
    September 7, 2012 at 12:01 am

This was my friend and manager. The picture here is very disheartening. He was a wonderful man and deserves respect. He actually went by the name of Joey. I don’t appreciate the rude comments that are being made on this story. May your soul be at peace. R.I.P. You are deeply missed.

• Jen
      September 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I agree about the picture. It is in poor taste and I am sure the family could do without the mental image. Poor guy he must have been feeling ill and wanted to rest. From the comments here it sounds like he was a wonderful person.

• Bob
        September 8, 2012 at 12:37 am

I don’t believe the picture shows anything disturbing or disrespectful, it was the way it was clearly visible in the area. To censor the media in the name of “respect and honor” is in poorer taste than anything.

5. M
    September 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I knew him. So sorry to hear this Joey. You are in my prayers.

• shhj
      September 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I knew him too! So sad. I’m so sorry Joey

• shhj
      September 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I knew him too! So sad. I’m so sorry Joey! And all you a$$#0%*$ he was a person,someones son,friend, brother, companion. How dare you insult his
      death with racist jokes! May god have mercy on your filthy souls

6. Sue
    September 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Look any human life is what GOD has made. Dont insult any human. He is in a better place. Rest his soul!!!! Do you think GOD made any human better than the next. He was probably going through so much.

7. heyhey
    September 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Probably fell asleep drunk and asphyxiated. Maybe he wasn’t even drunk but buzzed. The A.V. sherriff’s are known to arrest people well below the .08 “limit”. Hope he died peacefully.

8. Cindy
    September 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

OMG I work there and I saw that car and him in it but we just assumed he was sleeping!! :o
    oh my goodness this is just terrible! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, I wouldnt wish this on my worst of enemies. Wow..

• September 7, 2012 at 3:41 am

Thanks, Cindy for your kind and honest response. “. . . we just assumed he was sleeping!” shows the importance of not assuming, but checking and inquiring of one’s neighbor – this one in a shoppping center parking lot nonetheless – to ensure he was doing alright. That could have been *you* calling for the authorities and possibly for all we know saving a life.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department here does have Business Watch programs in place, similar to Neighborhood Watch. Since you work there, part of having a Business Watch is calling law enforcement/paramedics EMTs when you see something that just isn’t the normal thing. This being the middle of the day when he was found, and the temperatures in the 80s and 90s would probably be uncomfortable for someone sleeping and alive. Another reason to check on his condition.

We’ve got to find a way to be respectful enough of people to allow them the freedom to conduct their lives, yet be caring enough to act when things may be going wrong. In a situation like this, it’s all too socially acceptable to pass such a person by and leave them alone. What they needed was help. How long he was alive and how long he was dead no one knows. Was there a point in time where he was alive and someone saw him and could have called for help? No one but God knows for sure. If the person involved was *you,* you’d be wanting someone to care and get help.

9. New to this town
    September 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oh wow, way to mix up a name. BTW you can see his foot in the back passenger window. Yikes. :/

10. T-Bone
    September 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Is it Juan or Jose? I know they all look alike but come on!

• Fernie
      September 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Your an ass.

• shhj
      September 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Racist mofo

• T-Bone
        September 7, 2012 at 11:31 am

Relax…It was a Crack at the editor! In other words they need to get it right the first time!

11. Me
    September 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Is his name Juan or Jose. Make up our minds!!

• T-Bone
      September 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Beat me by one minute! I should have typed faster! Lol

• Me
        September 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

• taz1516
      September 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

is your name billybob or redneck

• Bob
        September 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm

If you are going to insult someone, at least try to sound like you have an IQ about 80. This sounds like a bad insult on a racially charged third grade playground.

• same [removed]
          September 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

• Bob
            September 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Why the ghetto attitude of threats of violence? Why are you getting so mad at that post?

I spoke no ill of the dead on this thread, and from all accounts he sounded like a great person. You are the one disgracing this poor persons passing.