Boy hit by car, critically injured

The boy was standing on the sidewalk with some youths, when he ran across the street and was hit by a car Sunday evening. The driver of the sedan immediately turned around and went back to the scene to render aid to the child, authorities said.

The driver was unable to avoid hitting the boy and was devastated by the accident, according to a relative of the driver.

LANCASTER – A 7-year-old boy is clinging to life after being struck by a car Sunday evening on Avenue K, near 22ndStreet West in Lancaster.

The identity of the victim or the driver has not been released, but authorities said alcohol was not a factor in the collision and the driver is not facing charges at this time.

The following is the press report from the Lancaster Station:

Traffic investigators from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station are investigating the circumstances of an auto vs. pedestrian collision which occurred in Lancaster on July 22, 2012 at approximately 7 p.m.

The boy was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles in critical condition.

Preliminary information gathered at the scene revealed the pedestrian was standing with several other youths on the north side of Avenue K.

The victim left the sidewalk and ran into the street, where he was struck by a sedan being driven westbound on Avenue K.

The victim was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles in critical condition. The driver of the sedan was not injured. Alcohol does not appear to have been a factor in this collision.

The identity of the victim or driver has not been released.

The investigation into this serious collision is continuing. Sheriff’s Detectives continue to investigate this collision, and ask if anyone has information regarding this incident, to contact the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station Traffic Enforcement Team at (661) 948-8466.

Updated 7/25/12: As of 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 25, the boy’s condition was unchanged, and he remains in critical condition at the Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles, according to Sgt. Paul Pfrehm of the Lancaster Station.

16 comments for “Boy hit by car, critically injured

1. erika
    August 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

wondering how the little boy is doing keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

2. Kakiie
    July 31, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Soo sorry to hear the bad news. I am not related to “D” but when I met him I jus thought he was the cutest lil boi…i called him my lil boyfriend. Im prayin for him nd his family nd that he will pull thru the situation. May God be with you “D”…

3. alley
    July 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

i was standing in my front yard and heard a helicopter rushing to the accident.All i saw was his shoes

• alley
      July 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm

We are still praying

4. erika
    July 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Prayin that hes ok

5. George Stewart
    July 25, 2012 at 11:28 am

I am one of the two men that were providing aid to the child before paramedics arrived. While I was able to hold myself together at the scene, it was not until I had drove of that I fell apart. I pray that this child is able to pull through every night since this tragic event I still see his little eyes stirring at me as I held his head.

• lashieka
      July 28, 2012 at 12:14 pm

My name is La’Shieka, cousin of the victim,mother & auntie of the other children.We are so very thankful to you and who ever assisted in saving his life, you were truly sent by God I would like to thank you in person. May the Lord forever bless you! God Bless!

6. Debra Baldonado
    July 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm

My husband and I were sitting out front when we heard the accident .Ran out to see, soon begain to cry after seeing 2 little shoes in the middle of the road. Began to Pray that God would comfort and heal this child. Spoke to man that called 911 after seeing the accident. He was a young man full of tears for this little boy, that was the same age of his own. Told me that he hope he saved his life by calling 911 right away .Praying for the family

7. Paul
    July 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

when I was a kid I was involved in a similar incident. Bad news all around. Best wishes and prayers to driver and child.

8. eric
    July 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My heart and prayers go out to all involved. I just spoke to my Dad and found out he was on the scene with the lasd and fire dept. So sad to see a youngter hurt in a freak accident. GOD be with you all!

9. Cheryl
    July 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thoughts and prayers going out to the driver. I am near Valley Central & we have ppl just running out in the street all the time. Not to mention all the adults that just walk out in the street without obeying the lights.

• lashieka
      July 28, 2012 at 12:35 pm

This was not an adult running in the street, this is a child,which should have your thgts and prayers also….Yes,street lights and laws should be obeyed, if the pedestrians make this mistake and not follow them! Does not give drivers the right to hit innocent children!!!!!!! or people! We do forgive this woman, even though she has not contacted our family may GOD be with us ALL!

• Tiffany
        July 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm

This is a sad and unfortunate accident… Prayers to the little boy and the family of the child, also prayers to the driver…. I doubt the driver intentionally hit the child… Fact is the boy should not have been that close to the street and should not have ran into the street, where were the adults to watch these kids and thell them to stay away from the street… I know the area where this happened very well and that is not a area where kid should be allowed to play in or near the street… I am soory for your family but you should not indicate that this driver hit this child on purpose… maybe she has been advised to not contact you…. Maybe your family should contact her, she is probably very tramutized by this event, as would anyone who hit a child, but to try to place blame on the driver is wrong…

10. Ali
    July 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Praying for the child and his family. Also praying for the driver. I can only imagine how I would feel if I hit a child even though it wasn’t my fault..

11. Abe
    July 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Poor kid…and his family. Best wishes to them.

• Abe