Former AV resident killed in Colorado movie massacre

Jesse Childress

COLORADO – Friday’s mass shooting in a Colorado movie theater claimed the life of a U.S. service member who grew up in the Antelope Valley.

Air Force Staff Sgt. Jesse Childress died at the scene from injuries sustained in the incident, Pentagon officials said Saturday.

Childress reportedly grew up in Palmdale, CBS Los Angeles reports.

Childress, who was single and had no children, joined the service in January 2002. He was a cybersystems operator on active duty with the 310th Force Support Squadron at Buckley Air Force Base in Colorado.

“Jesse was an invaluable part of the 310th family,” Lt. Col. Pat Walsh told CNN. “He literally touched everyone in the wing — over 1,000 people.”

Childress was one of several victims, that range in age from six to 51, who were killed when alleged gunman James Holmes opened fire during a midnight premiere of “Batman: The Dark Knight Rises” early Friday in Aurora, Colorado.

The attack left 12 people dead and 58 injured.

Military officials say they’re planning memorials for Childress and 27-year-old Navy sailor John Larimer, who was also killed in Friday’s attack.

56 comments for “Former AV resident killed in Colorado movie massacre

1. sikntired
    July 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I hope a local memorial will be planned for this young man.

2. Concered
    July 25, 2012 at 7:02 am

If a criminal, or some nut case, want’s a gun. They can get their hands on one. It’s as simple as that. Putting a ban on guns will do NOTHING because of all the guns already on the street and out there. My family has one for protection. Someone comes breaking in, in the middle of night, I want to be able to protect my family. And I am going to assume they are armed. Not going to be the guy that says “I never thought it could happen to me…..”, because it CAN! Also, what about when the big one really hits here. It’s going to be a scene of total chaos and confusion. People will be doing crazy things for food, water and shelter. You bet your ass I am going to be armed for that event. And it’s going to happen. Maybe not today…tomorrow, or even next year, but it’s going hit!

What if some citizen had a license to conceal was in that movie theater? Someone could have returned fire, and stop the blood shed before the idiot choose to stop popping off rounds.

3. anotherdummy
    July 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

You’ve got issues, Ace.

• Abe
      July 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I think you’re on to something….you’ve turned me into an anti-gun liberal. Thank you!

• Frank
        July 25, 2012 at 9:31 am

Abe, isn’t that redundant?….anti-gun & liberal.

• Frank
        July 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

Abe I’m going to report you to the bureau of redundancy bureau.

• Abe
          July 25, 2012 at 9:47 am

I don’t understand what you’re saying because you’re repeating yourself repeating yourself.

4. Eris
    July 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

No one’s mentioned that this murderer ordered 6,000 rounds of ammo online. You can’t even buy Claritin-D without producing i.d. and signing for it, and there’s a limit for how much a ‘citizen’ can buy. For those who support a gun owners right to have 6,000 rounds of ammo in order to kill his intended target, by all means renew that NRA membership card for life and ignore the laws requiring users to learn how to shoot straight.

• abe
      July 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

And what would have happened if the theatre gunman produced I.D. and signed for the ammo? Do you think thst a guy who kills and wounds so many people would not want to show I.D. to buy ammo? What should we do; limit the amount of ammo that you can buy? So just make multiple purchases from various retailers. Then I guess we’d need a national database and background checks for ammo purchases so that nobody can have “too much ammo”. How would you stop a person from reloading 1000s of rounds of ammo? Focus on the psycho…not the guns.

• Eris
        July 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

Since the amount of ammo this murderer bought could be equivalent to an order from an armed forces division, yes there should be a limit to how much of ammo used for automatic weapons one individual could buy, over the course of one year just like we have regulations for some otc drugs.

Claritin-D was regulated because the ingredients were being used via meth labs. It has been proven that meth has killed many people, and it is obviously true that many rounds of ammo from an automatic gun can kill large amounts of people.

I am focussing on the murderer, and future murderers who seek publicity and know that the NRA will back them up.

• abe
          July 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

So far, I haven’t heard the NRA back any of these guys up. I don’t know for sure but the killer probably fired 100 rounds or less in this situation. Should we limit ammo purchases to less than 100 rounds per year…no matter what caliber? PS- The guy didn’t use an automatic weapon. You are a perfect example of an uninformed anti-gunner.

• Utz
            July 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

This man could have caused as much or even more damage with a vehicle. Guns and ammo are not to blame:

“…ten people had been killed and 63 were injured…”

George Russell Weller (December 7, 1916 – December 9, 2010) was a retired salesman from Santa Monica, California, who gained notoriety as the motorist in a fatal car accident, fueling a national debate in the United States on safety risks posed by elderly drivers.

• Utz
            July 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

2009 DUI deaths = 11,711[1]

2009 Gun Homicides (including self defense) = 9,146[2]

We have a stronger case for prohibition, than for gun control.

5. Barney
    July 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

What do you gun control nuts think will happen if guns are banned? Or just handguns???? Whould it stop things like what happened in colorado????

• Melvin Jones
      July 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Gun Control is nothing more than sight picture, sight alignment and hitting what you’re aiming at. End of story.

• Bruce
        July 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Very funny Melvin….you sound like another gun loon.

• Melvin Jones
          July 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm

To some of you Bambi types, maybe. But I prefer conscientious collector.

• Bruce
            July 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

go shoot something you jerk.

• Abe
            July 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

How profound Bruce. You sound like a real intellectual.

6. Gorilla
    July 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Automatic weapons should be banned in the U.S, really who needs them? All the guns shows on tv (Sons of Guns, American Guns)Shows how easy it is to get a weapon here in the U.S (Millitary grade). Gun laws are to blame for Accidents like this one, and the Trayvon Martin Shooting and also Columbine.

Until the day in which we as U.S citizens do not need firearms, Tragedy’s like this point less killing of 12 innocent people, Will continue to happen

• Les
      July 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

You can’t be serious! An accident?! This was no accident nor was Columbine! Law abiding citizens will always need guns to protect ourselves from the criminals who don’t abide by the laws.

• Gorilla
        July 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I ment incident, We have the right to bear arms, But until the day that we dont need to use guns as defense, INCIDENTS like this, and columbine will happen.
        Thats why im for gun-control here in the U.S.

• Abe
          July 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Gorilla- When this utopia of yours becomes reality, how am I supposed to protect myself against somebody breaking into my house at 3:00 AM? Beg the thug to go away? Cooperate with him and file an insurance claim?

• Gorilla
            July 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Im not saying that you cant own a firearm,Seeing how you cant comprehend what im trying to say, let me explain, Gun control is not the banning of guns, It is controlling what the public could buy. James Holmes had a AR-15,Remington 870 pump action shotgun and two 40. Glocks. He got them through the internet without a background check. Now do you really think someone would buy a arsenal like that for home-defense? I doubt it,Gun Control just means that there are certain restrictions on guns that you could buy,which means you cant buy a Assault rifle or a sniper rifle.
            As a owner of a Colt M1911a1 pistol,I too want to defend myself if it comes down to that. But also i don’t want an AR-15 in the hands of people like James Holmes. Country’s like the England have Gun control laws, and in 2008 there where only
            42 gun-related deaths in Great Britain.
            next time you want to argue about gun control make sure you do your research first.

Utopia? no i just want a better world for my kids.

• Abe
            July 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I could barely get through your post because I was counting all the errors. He bought the guns at Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain…Sporting Goods Stores. So, what do you think would happen if they had done a background check??? He had NO criminal record!! Maybe you should have done a little research yourself.

• Gorilla
            July 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm

it doesn’t matter where he got the guns, there shouldn’t be guns like that out there. Now if you what to be an asshole ,by all means. But you try explaining why my friends brother is dead!

• Les
            July 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Regardless of how strict the gun control laws are criminals will break them. They’ll obtain weapons from across our border if they can’t steal them here. The only people that will be harmed by stricter gun laws will be the law abiding citizens who will be using pea shooters against illegally obtained semi-auto rifles.
            This was a tragic incident. Just as the highway worker killed by the drunk driver over the weekend but no one is talking prohibition again. We can’t regulate crime out of existence. You can’t punish everyone for the crimes committed by the few.

• William
            July 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

So, don’t lock your house or car because criminals will find a way to break in anyway.

That makes as much sense as your NRA talking points.

• Observer
            July 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm

so what are you gonna do when they get in William???? Ask them what they want? Give them a choice on what to take? Hell no! You shoot to kill them just like this guy in Vegas did when a thug broke into his house in a nice neighborhood!

• Utz
            July 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

So according to you Gorilla we shouldn’t have cars that go faster than 15 mphs, because they could potentially kill many people:

“…ten people had been killed and 63 were injured…”

2009 DUI deaths = 11,711[1]

2009 Gun Homicides (including self defense) = 9,146[2]

We have a stronger case for prohibition, than for gun control.

• Cheryl
          July 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Yeah we could have strict gun control like Norway does, their laws work so well that a madman was able to slaughter 69 people

• Abe
            July 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Exactly. It’s the evil guns…not the evil people. Just ban the guns and somehow the evil people won’t be able to possess them. Then we’ll all be living in Gorilla’s utopia!

• William
            July 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

There are ~30,000 gun deaths a year in the United States.

What we need are more guns, right?

I have a feeling you’re safer in Norway than in Lancaster on a Saturday night.

• Kristen
            July 24, 2012 at 9:45 am

Yes, Gun laws will stop shootings from happening…. Tell me again how criminals obey laws? Oh… That’s right…. Owning a gun makes me a killer just as much as owning a pencil makes me a writer. Guns may be the weapon of choice, but PEOPLE kill people. If it wasn’t a gun, he’d use something else. For instance, like Ace mentioned, a gentlmen used a meat thermometer to stab someone. This isn’t about gun laws, this is about crazy, demented human being with no regard for human life. We all need to be focused on the victims & their families. We all need to be praying to whatever higher power you believe in to heal their hearts and dry their tears.

• William
            July 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

30,000+ dead.

• Utz
            July 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm

William, where are you getting your statistics from?

Total homicide rate for the US for all methods was 14,159 by the UN estimates [1], and 14,748 by the FBI Uniform Crime Report [2].

Seriously, stop making up random statistics if you want to be taken credibly.

7. mike
    July 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

All handguns should be prohibited in the US. They should be utilized only by specially trained police officers like in England. Commission of a felony with a handgun should bring an automatic death penalty to be administered within 6 months (not 10 years) after the trial. Citizens would be able to keep rifles and shotguns for hunting and protection.

• Abe
      July 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

Good idea Mike. Then at least law abiding citizens would be unarmed. Then all we’d have to worry about is the criminals, who would still be armed to the teeth if they want to be. This new law of yours would have saved all those people in the theatre, right? Oh wait, since the murderer’s main weapons consisted of a rifle and shotgun, he wouldn’t have to face the wrath of your anti gun law. BRILLIANT.

• Abe
        July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

Wait! I take that back. His Glock would have qualified him for the death penalty. I’m sure he would have thought better of it, and everything would be ok.

• frank barnes
      July 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Mike, how long have you been a member of the Flat Earth Society? You can’t be serious. Felony with a handgun an automatic death penalty? Death within 6 months? I have to agree with Abe here, BRILLIANT.

• Cheryl
      July 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Ok – then when these low lifes that get their guns illegally w/their drugs that are flowing back & forth across the border break in who is going to protect me? Protect & Serve doesn’t exist according to our courts. I won’t rely on anyone but myself to protect my home and family

• William
        July 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm

The gun lobby’s opposition to strict gun regulation has resulted in there being more guns than people in this country. With all the loose regulations and huge number of firearms, we’re not really that safe, are we? Now, you need a gun to protect yourself from all the gun owners out there because of lax regulation. Brilliant.

You can’t them if you are caught in a crossfire on a city street.

Y’all have these fantasies that you’re protecting against an armed intruder and you gun is right next to you. Don’t you ever leave the house?

8. Abe
    July 23, 2012 at 9:00 am

They need to install an electric chair inside all police cars for situations like these. Let the cops make the decision regarding guilt or innocence.

• Frank
      July 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yes, yes….not enough curbside justice these days.

9. Dina
    July 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm

RIP Jesse Childress…I lived in Lake Los Angeles for 13 years and if the family needs anything please let me know. My heart is broken and my prayers are with the family and friends. What a horrific tragedy. with LOVE!

10. James
    July 22, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Why !??
    I thank GOD that the police found this idiot before he got away. I think he needs a wake up call….
    He is not insane.. He is ??? Well, we know what he is… Please, give him a proper trial….
    The public needs to see less of this ass and more of the values of our Country…
    Let this punk have his day in court… Then let the people have him…
    Blessings and strength to us all..

11. I guess
    July 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

No one has mentioned that the kid who did this was white. Funny? Had it been a negro the comments would have been aimed at the suspect and not the victim. Really, you are such a fake ass.

• Utz
      July 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Is this Dibo again? Probably, always trying to add to racial tensions instead of cool them and seeing each other as brothers. The way you word it is intrinsically hostile. It is the essence of a racist.

• dibo
        July 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

sorry to say, but it’s not me that made the comment. you are showing me that you are a real Dibo hater,But thats all good!!See what you fell too realize is,I know who I am,and what I stand for!!I might be smaller than you,but i’m bigger than a paragraph,you know, the one that you judged me from,so that forth, let the name DIBO taste like sh!t in your mouth,and cramps to your fingers please!!!Now that we have that out of the way, I can now seen my condolence,sympathy and prayers to the people who has lost their love ones to this none sense of an act, which has taken place in Colorado.

• Utz
          July 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I should have saw that “I guess” has better sentence structure in his short paragraph, however his mentality fit yours.

Such hate in order for you to want people to “taste sh!t.”

I highly doubt you know who you really are, unless you have finally admitted to your racist ends.

12. really
    July 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm

What a senseless act. I feel for the families of all the victims. So sad that a man who served his country would die while enjoying the freedoms he vowed to protect.

13. Letlow
    July 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

RIP Jesse Childress… What a horrible way to die… What kind of MONSTER would do something like this?!?!?

July 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Looked like a complete nerd, just goes to show ya can’t always judge by appearance.Nice responses by the kids from his neighborhood