Elderly driver flips car off freeway, into 99 Cents store parking lot

An elderly driver made an unsafe turn on the 14 freeway and landed upside down in a 99 Cents Only store parking lot late Wednesday morning, authorities said. Photo Credit: LUIS MEZA

A pair of day laborers helped the woman out her vehicle and called emergency personnel. Photo Credit: LUIS MEZA

PALMDALE – A 91-year-old driver escaped with just minor injuries Wednesday after she drove her car over a freeway shoulder and landing upside down in a 99 Cents Only store parking lot.

The accident happened around 11:40 a.m. on Antelope Valley (14) Freeway, just south of the Rancho Vista exit, according to California Highway Patrol officer Gil Hernandez.

He said the woman was driving a 2001 Mercury northbound, in an unknown lane, at about 65 miles per hour.

“For an unknown reason, she made an unsafe turning movement to the right, left the main portion of the freeway and went down the embankment,” Hernandez said.

He said the car struck a chain link fence during the tumble and then landed on its roof.

“Citizens that were in the area heard the collision and went to her rescue,” Hernandez said.

Photo Credit: LUIS MEZA

Day laborers, German Mejorada Arrollo and Raul Zavala, said they saw the car fly over the freeway and land upside down.

The men said they first called 9-1-1 and then rushed to help the elderly driver.

“They cut her seat belt off and freed her from the vehicle,” Hernandez said. “They pulled her out and waited for emergency personnel.”

Hernandez said the woman was transferred to Antelope Valley Hospital for minor to moderate injuries, abrasions and complaints of pain, but is expected to recover.

11 comments for “Elderly driver flips car off freeway, into 99 Cents store parking lot

1. Hello kitty
    June 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm

June 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

A Reply:
    Heartless postings by heartless people, probably just young, ignorant and immature.

3. Adam Chant
    June 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

. There is an obvious comment to be made about this shopping center and the presence of day laborers, but they may have saved her life and while one may disagree with the situation I’m glad there were people there to help.

• Desert RAT
      June 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

What would you prefer, day laborers or compton transplant thugs? Really…….

• J. Ripper
        June 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I have never been accosted by a day laborer begging for handouts or asking to “wash” my windshield, in that parking lot or any other. Those people are looking for WORK, to make an honest living. You can make presumptive comments about most of them being illegal status and therefore unemployable above the table, which is why they’re hanging out there as day laborers, but they are not accosting me or otherwise causing any problems at all.

Despite Target’s policy of prohibiting soliciting, I have been panhandled in the parking lot at the West Palmdale store only what, a half mile away. At least 2 or 3 times in as many months perhaps, recently — it has definitely picked up just since the beginning of this year. And although I’ve never been attacked or threatened by a panhandler, I do consider it much more of a potential threat to my personal safety when a stranger approaches me and is within close proximity of my personal space, asking me for something, than day laborers hanging out in the same parking lot, minding their own business.

4. June 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

I am confidant that her driving days have just ended.

5. FUNNY
    June 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Start the car there’s a sale at the 99 Cents Only store

6. Ashley,
    June 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

wait why does the city need to pay because people can’t drive?

• FUNNY
      June 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I ran into the wall i think its time we stop building walls in this town

• Raebekkah
      June 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm

It was a accident!!! Have a heart!

7. Mrs M
    June 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Thank God this woman wasn’t killed. Perhaps she was blinded by the sun and judged incorrectly for the offramp. But isn’t it about time a barrier wall be put up? There was a fatality in almost that same spot just a few years ago, wasn’t there?