HEALTH & FOODS – May is National Mediterranean Diet and National Salad Month. The following recipe combines two of the celebrated food concepts for the month of May.
By synergistically marrying these two health concepts, the nutritional and known medicinal benefits are propelled to the levels of Superfood status!
- 1¾ cup nuts, almonds, slivers
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts marinated in olive oil
- 32 ounces okra
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1 package cheese, goat cheese, crumbled, 5.5 ounces
- 1 pound asparagus, fresh
- 1/2 cup onions, red sliced like crescent moons
- 1/2 cup peppers, red, orange and yellow bell, strips
- 1 quart butter lettuce torn (cut with plastic knife only to prevent oxidation; turning brown)
- 2 cups watercress
- 1/4 cup vinegar, Modena balsamic
— Procedure –
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almonds in shallow pan.
- Roast at 350°F for 6-7 minutes or until lightly browned; stir at least twice; cool.
- Set 1/2 cup almonds aside; grind the remaining1/4 cup almonds finely.
- Combine ground almonds in a small bowl with marinade from artichokes, almond oil, parsley, garlic, Italian herb seasoning and pepper; whisk to blend.
- Pour over crumbled goat cheese.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour for flavors to thoroughly marriage.
- Cut woody part off okra and throw away.
- Cut okra into about 1 inch circle pieces.
- In a frying pan, put lime juice and bring to a bubble.
- Add okra and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until lime juice cooked off.
- This will prevent the okra from being slimy.
- Set okra aside to cool.
- Remove woody stems from asparagus; cut into diagonal, bite-size pieces.
- Blanch in boiling water 1 minute, drain and cool.
- Toss asparagus, okra, red crescent pieces, red, yellow and orange bell pepper strips, artichoke hearts and remaining 1/2 cup almonds with butter lettuce and watercress.
- Scoop out crumbled marinated goat cheese.
- Top salad with crumbled marinated goat cheese.
- Blend balsamic vinegar into marinade that was used to marinate goat cheese and drizzle over salad.
- Leave okra whole
- Add black or Greek olives
- Add sun dried tomatoes
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 8
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 228, Saturated Fat: 5.2g, Sodium: 172mg, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Total Fat: 20g, Carbs: 8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Protein: 8g, Calcium: 121mg, Vitamin E: 6.4IU, Carb Choices: 0.5
- Almond – onega-3, brain, constipation, diabetes, anemia, complexion,
- Artichoke – liver, gallbladder, cleaning blood, fiber, potassium, calcium, iron, detoxifies
- Okra – facilitates probiotics, fiber, regulates blood sugar (diabetes), laxative, seeds (protein)
- Lime – alkalizing, vitamin C
- Parsley – vitamin C, tonic for blood vessels, expels watery poisons, kidney, bladder, diuretic
- Garlic – antiviral, antibacterial, digestion, colds, yeast infection, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, toothache
- Black pepper – manganese, vitamin K, stimulates stomach to secrete for digestion, helps prevent the formation of intestinal gas, diuretic, promotes sweating
- Goat cheese – easier on digestion system, ok for lactose intolerance, low calories, low cholesterol, low fat
- Asparagus – Detox, anti-aging, cancer prevention, reduces pain and inflammation, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, heart disease, prevent birth defects
- Onion – cold, asthma, bacterial infection, respiratory infection, angina, cough, inhibit tumor growth, air purifier, general body healing,
- Bell peppers (yellow, orange, red) – vitamins A & C, neutralizes free radicals, reduces risk of heart disease, cataracts, arthritis, asthma,
- Butter lettuce – phyto-nutrients to prevent diseases, beta-carotene, vitamin A, protection against age related eye diseases, vitamin K, vitamin C, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, B-complex
- Watercress – anti cancer, glaucoma, vitamin B-6 & C & B-1 & B-2, fiber, iron, copper, calcium, phosphorous
- Balsamic vinegar – antioxidant, cancer fighting, reduces risk of heart disease, natural pain reliever, assists in digestion, weight control, control diabetes
Author: Mama Vega www.mamavega.com
Source: Mama Vega*s, “The good Stuff… A Taste of Home” Healthy Never Tasted So Good!
Copyright © May 2012 Mama Vega Corporation