Updated: Man shot and killed in Lancaster Saturday

Photo via facebook.

LANCASTER – A man was shot to death in Lancaster early Saturday morning, authorities said.

The shooting happened around 12:10 a.m. Saturday in the 700 Block of West Avenue H-7, according to Deputy Peter Gomez of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau.

The victim, a male Black adult, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead, Gomez said.

The victim’s name was withheld, pending notification of relatives.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

This is the second shooting death in Lancaster in a little over 24 hours. At 11:37 p.m. Thursday, a woman was shot dead at the Sunrise Apartments at 1251 Meadow View Lane.

The woman’s boyfriend, Ron Hamilton, 47, was arrested for the murder, hours later. As of 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning, the woman’s name was still being withheld pending next of kin notification. We will have more details on both murders, as they become available.

Updated at 5:30 p.m. 4/21/12: Family members at the scene of the shooting today identified the man shot to death early Saturday morning as Nathen Taylor, 30. They said he was an army veteran who had returned to Lancaster about two years ago after completing three tours of duty. They said he was currently a college student and had never been in trouble with the law or been involved in gangs.

He was sitting in a car outside of his brother’s residence at 733 West Avenue H-7, when a gunman shot at him multiple times, family members said. A neighbor two houses down said she heard about five shots. Family members said he was shot in the head. “He didn’t deserve this, he had just come back from serving his country,” one neighbor said. We will be following this story closely and will have much more details in the days ahead.

Updated at 7 p.m. 4/21/12: The Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau has just released an updated statement on the shooting. It reads:

Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau detectives are continuing their investigation regarding the shooting death of a man in the 700 block of West Avenue H7, Lancaster that occurred early this morning at 12:10 [a.m.]

Detectives learned that the victim was in the driver’s seat of a parked car in front of the location when several men walked to the car and one of the suspects fired several rounds into the vehicle. The victim was fatally shot in the upper torso.

The suspects then ran from the location. The motive for the shooting is unknown.

There was no else in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

There is no more information available at this time.

78 comments for “Updated: Man shot and killed in Lancaster Saturday

1. Abdul Majeed Askia
    April 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Science has measured just about everything.We know the nature of all
    things on this earth.Man has studied/observed,conqured or subdued the
    animal kingdom! Harnessed the elements of nature to serve him,biology,
    sociaology,chemistry,and all the sciences that deal with the human make
    up!!! Come to the round table and hear the science of reasoning !!!
    You will be introduced by the nature of your questions and concerns the
    ability to not only identify the problem,you will also be introduced
    to solutions!Cause and effect!You no longer have to be in the dark.
    It is a new day For eveything you see there is a ring master!!!Like
    in a circus. Come to the round table and learn how to think outside
    of the box in a manner that is not often presented! Remember insanity
    is doing the same thing over and over looking for different results!

National Public Speaker Abdul Majeed Askia/323-945-9589

2. Abdul Majeed Askia
    April 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

I don’t want to see anyone killed black or white. I abhor seneless
    violence.I see victory out-reach and the nation of Islam in the
    streets reaching out to the youth and the ex-cons. I have spent
    twentyfive years going pushing and pulling and tuging trying to
    get the churches involved inaddressing the stress,confusion,struggle
    and frustration that youth have in the mean streets of any society!
    We have to come out of our Ivory towers and deal with real issues
    consistently, as Lou Dobbs would say “Focus on the family!”
    Our problems are not going to just go away looking out of the
    window. In fact unless we respond the problems will increase instead
    of decreasing.I am not a membr of victory out reach nor the
    Nation Of Islam but I have to applaud their efforts!

Folks as a young man God gave me the opportunity to know good and
    evil that crosses the color line. For whatever reason i HAVE

In prison I saw that evil was not housed in a particular color.
    Of course those men are not the primary source of evil,evil is
    bigger than any color or race,it starts in the mind,evil has a
    source or background that can be tracked that did not start
    in prison!!! But again back to whats at hand!

People,something deviant happens in the mind and we don’t want to face
    it> We want to talk about everything but cause and effect,concepts,
    belief systems,enviornments and life styles. Even the Wardens
    of prisons dodge this conversation.

A person,a well known Chief of psychiaitry said in my behalf that if
    the system ever hired an inmate for teaching I should be the
    head of psychiatry ! It is in my files. The man told them that
    I had a very clear view and yet the dialogue is being doged.
    Maybe they thought the 69year Abdul Majeed Askia was me ?Naaa,the
    report is in my files !Ace,you are the detective. Ask the CDC
    why did they block the real ‘Abdul Majeed Askia’ from teaching
    how to overcome negativity,the one who served sixteen years and
    was imediately receide and placed on the colege circuits! Ask
    them ‘Ace’ since everybody is so concerned about ex-cons thinking
    and crime why don’t they speak to the so called ex-con that
    has been received by the highest leaders and circles of this country?

Ace. They are affraid of the dialogue.I am a free man of this
    city with deep insight that could help cure the ills of this
    society!!! Yes,I have been on rock bottom,they called folsom
    prison the bottom of the pit,I have been to the bottom of the pit
    and the firs and the rage of the pit lit me up with a buring
    spirit to serve and use ‘the good,the bad and the ugly’ fo my life
    to talk to the country!!!!

All the people on this blog and in this country I am your servant!
    I love you !I want to use even my hurt,my tears and all
    I am to speak with you about life. Don’t fear me talk to me
    so we can see whats going on!!

3. April 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

I don’t personally blame race for anything. A criminal is a criminal. You and others do a great job of blaming people for all the problems in this valley. Prove to me where I made any statement blaming some bald white guy for anything. I personally don’t like guns and since I don’t live in fear, I have no need to have one in my home. Your reference to more clips is of a thug mentality, which makes you no better than the thugs you speak of.

As for the cops , they have enough power to do their jobs.
    Obviously due to the abuse of power, is why the DOJ is here. I guess people living in fear are the ones concerned about the cops hands being tied. Really, they are gang bangers with badges. Read the FBI’s report on MCJ.

April 24, 2012 at 11:11 pm

@ … – Since you obviously suffer from amnesia, here is a comment you posted on a thread here recently:

(From …) … on April 22, 2012 at 10:13 am
      “No different than the white victim-hood card being pulled on this site.”

Sounds like racial finger pointing/profiling/and stereotyping to me … But you don’t ‘personally’ blame other races right? Perhaps your keyboard needs an exorcism … It appears it might be possessed and is posting racist comments without your knowledge … (I’m sure you will justify this post as a ‘personal observation’ and by no means a direct insult aimed at the Caucasian race)

Besides, why are still here posting anyway? I thought that you “were done with this racist and ignorant site” – No, of course not; … You are a hypocrite and a race baiter. You don’t believe in guns and feel the LASD has enough power to do their jobs… Well, if that is the case how come the murder and crime rate skyrocketed back up after the DOJ came into the picture?

I don’t wish bad on anyone, but riddle me this: Who are you going to call when you or your family is threatened? Better yet, I wonder which of the two (or both) you will blame when you become a victim of crime; (the cops or the white/hood card ???) …

Oh and BTW, owning a firearm doesn’t make one a thug, nor does obtaining more clips imply one has a “thug mentality” – Going out and gunning down an innocent person makes one a thug. Keep race-baiting that crumbling pole you fish with … Better have a plan for what you’re going to do when your favorite fishing hole dries up though…

Have a blessed week.

April 25, 2012 at 4:38 am

@ . . . – Here is another example of you playing the race card, and also a highly pathetic attempt to justify the actions of a specific race; Even better: It’s also the post where you proclaim to be ‘done” with this site … I hope you aren’t an avid poker player, because your poker face has bluffer written all over it …. You will keep coming back with a fresh hook loaded with race bait, but sadly you will always go home hungry, with an empty tackle box and no fish to fry.

(From . . . ) … on April 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm
        “I am done with this site, People are so ignorant on here…How dare you try to deny the racism and cop brutality. Who wants to waist their time making false allegations. Is one incidence all you can come up with. You are lost in time. It has been white people committing violent acts since before the sixties against African Americans. Until you are in our shoes you have no idea what it’s like. All you can do is make assumptions based solely on what you have seen on T.V. You guys don’t own this land and we are here to stay. I have never heard of such ignorance. I guess if you guys could give us blankets filled with smallpox you would huh…not to mention what your fore fathers did to the Indians. Get a grip…” (I didn’t fix your grammatical errors – sorry)

Hmmmmmmm, and you said you “don’t personally blame race for anything” … I guess you forgot about that post – Must be more of that good old fashioned ‘amnesia’ … It’s okay, I forgive you. Abdul has given me the tools needed to forgive the ignorance of others, and I have stood by my end of the bargain to you that I posted on here: We may not ever (well never) agree on anything, but I will continue to talk to you or at you, but never down. Apparently you can’t handle a civil debate so you resorted to name calling, and referred to me as a “coward” … Cowards run and hide, cowards shoot unarmed black men who served our country overseas, cowards also take the actions of ignorant and evil men committed hundreds of years ago to justify the actions and misdeeds of men in today’s society. True cowards call others cowards and then run and hide. Peek-A-Boo, I see you … Carry on . . . – I know I will.

4. Abdul Majeed Askia
    April 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

The round table: What is the problem ? What is the cause of the problem?
    and what is the solution!There is a method to the madness.In any given
    situation one can trace the conditions or acts back to a source,a cause
    and effect.Unless we go to the root of problems and/or only deal with
    surface issues we are doomed to repeat them!

Guess what you are going to get with population growth,more crime! Guess
    what will happen in prison overcrowding,more violence ! Guess
    what will happen with less job opportunites,homelessness,families
    breaking apart,loss of self esteem and so on ! GUess what will happen
    if you walk around carrying a chip on your shoulder,sooner or later
    someone is gonna knock it off and call you on it!Guess what negativity
    creates,more negativity!Guess what racial animosity will cause,racial
    conflict!Guess what stealing and robbing will cause,jail,prison,death
    and/or a criminal record. There is a method to the madness!!!

Come to the round table and you will get a scientif run down of our problems and solutions on how to rise above any challenge that you are faced with. Yes,we have got the keys!!!Guess what madness creates,more
    madness!!! The attitude is stop ‘Abdul Majeed Askia’because he is
    going to put the spot light on ’cause and effect!’Stop him because
    he breaks things down so people can see clearly whats going down!

There is a method to the madness! There are also solutions!!!It is more
    to it than just a job. We intend to break things down to its lowest
    terms so that you can see,hear and understand your situation and how
    you can take steps to correct it.

Ask yourself why would anyone want to stop a round table from happening
    that is open to the public that crosses racial,ethnic,religious and
    cultural lines ? This is the meeting of the minds.

If we have the type of round tables that I am talking about we will
    have major break throughs! We will defeat the bad attitude mentality
    by idebtifying pit falls and behaviours that get us caught-up.

There will be a variety of participants and we trust hat we will
    have a great time at problem solving. Again,it is more to the situation
    than jobs! We are going to get out of this puppet on a string
    situation and move toward mastering the task at hand!

RememberI have been very active in this valley for twentyfour years,
    schools,colleges,community ativism and so on and I am saying
    we are all in this together. Together we stand and divided we fall!

National Public Speaker/servant of the people/Govenment of the people,
    for the people and by the people! Give the people what they want!!

5. ed
    April 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm

How can a murder with no wits, in the middle of the night, turn into a squabble about the black on black menace, discrimination, police inadiquacy, Rex’s prejudice and vigilante movies.
    This is a murder of a young man. In the middle of the night. With no witnesses, and no apparent motive. The problem is hard enough without all the dirt being thrown around. Let the cops do their job.

6. Boscoe
    April 23, 2012 at 8:19 am

Sad that this man served his country only to come home and be killed on the streets. That being said, issues brought up here need to be look at and then fixed. Unemployment, kids without fathers, welfare, education, etc. You cannot dismiss the discussed issues Tara because it breeds the outcome. God rest this warriors soul.

• April 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

Well said, The Stand Your Ground Law is being revisited by Florida. During these hard economic times, all the things you have mentioned need to be addressed on the local and national level.

• Abdul Majeed Askia
        April 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am a national public speaker and I intend to address the challengeswe face on a national level!One has to have a clear head,clear views and universal princlples that transcend
        race and/or creed class or color. Narrow mindedness or tunnle
        vision cannot best serve this country nor our communiities.

It should be clear that we are all on this planet togethr,
        we are not alone,black,white,brow,red or whatever the sooner
        we realize this fact we can be more rational and considered
        of others. This is an up hill battle because this is not about
        pitting one race against another,this is about solutions.

The problems extend beyond race,the white man is not the
        only racist ! There are racist in every color or ethnic
        group. Some folks have deep seated prejeducies against Islm,
        judaism,chistianity and so on. I am often shunned because
        of my name ‘Abdul Majeed Askia! There were times wherein I had
        wonderful conversations with individuals and once I told
        the person my name there appeared to be shock that a person
        called Abdul could make sense!!! I have lived among people
        from all over the world,thus I have not only a local,a state
        or a national view,I have an international view of humanity
        because humanity is right here in the united states!!!
        Hwen folks get over the name “Abdul Majeed Askia” the faster
        we can connect.

Prejudice can be defined in very simple terms among any
        group of people “the good,the bad and the ugly!”Clint Eastwood!

7. Abdul Majeed Askia
    April 23, 2012 at 7:40 am

We all may not agree on everything but it is good that we are having
    this dialogue. Everyone’s point of view is valuable!It is important
    that we express ourselves,our feelings,release our emtions in a positive
    and constructive way. The mistake that most people make is the
    attitude of “my way or no way!”However,we are all pieces of the puzzle!
    The puzzle isn’t complete unless all of the pieces are connected
    in order to complete the picture.This is a new day and time,a new generation,the space and information age! Light travels at six hundred
    and seventy million miles per hou Imagine that),thats how fast
    information travels the globle! We have the awesome ablity to connect
    with one another in a profound way(as on this web site),the opportunity
    to communicate and understand one another is awesome! We may be
    a little agitated,uncomfortable or even shocked with some things that
    are said but even that givesus a feel of what our problems are and
    how best to address them!We have the chalenge of making this a
    better and safer world for us all. This planet is our home !!! Our
    residence is the planet earth,we are a part of all thatsout there or
    on this planet,the sooner we realize that,the better.

8. Shari Martin
    April 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Please let not make this about race. this young man was murdered almost the same time and is was the same date. Marshall was murdered April 21st 2002 at 12:15 -12:30. It was by two Black men.I do not blame all black people.It was by two crazy guys hopped up on weed and God knows what else. My granddaughter knew him. Let us help the family and pray for them. They have just started their ride. It is not a fun ride.
    Parent of murdered Children will there to help. 661 949-2720
    God bless you all

9. Tina Marie
    April 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

What do you people expect???? This is what happens when u bitch and whine about cops and tie their hands behind their back! This is what you get! Deal with it!

• April 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm

April 23, 2012 at 1:53 am

@ Tara … So in 42 years the ‘Sheriff’s’ have never done ‘nothing’ and always turned a blind eye? You know that’s not true. If you’ve been in the AV for 42 years and do in fact know your history then we need to compare notes, because your statement is grossly inaccurate. I have 34 years in the AV, and while the Sheriff’s track record isn’t perfect, it’s a far cry from nothing and a blind eye.

• April 23, 2012 at 6:49 am

To north county listen to what u just said i have 42 years out here and you have 34 I know of 5 murders thats just one hand that have never been solved over the years and theres plenty more not to say the little girl six years ago out here they sitll have not done nothing to find who did it and the family members where handing out flyers so fars as your 34 years to my 42 you and nobody else can tell me about these so called fine sheriffs thanks anyway

April 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Unsolved murders are not the equivalent to the Sheriff turning a “blind” eye … I can rattle off a list of unsolved crimes too, that doesn’t mean the Sheriff “looked the other way” … But since me or nobody else can tell you anything, I’ll respect that – Though it kinda makes me wonder why you’ve wasted 42 years of your life in a place that sounds like you’re not very happy to call home. 42 years vs my 34 years – Like I’ve always said, it’s about quality, not quantity… Take care …

• TheTruth
            April 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Tara, it’s quite obvious from your writing style that you are an angry black female who probably didn’t graduate from high school. So let’s hear about all these murders the racist sheriff didn’t “do nothing about.” Did you and your cronies do your usual “we didn’t see nuthin, we don’t know nuthin” when the homicide detective came around? I’m sure you did, then you bitch they did nothing. The part that should be eating you up inside,is that usually IT’S YOUR OWN PEOPLE KILLING EACH OTHER! But instead you blame the cops. You are a joke! Oh yeah, go back to 3rd grade english class.

• LOL
            April 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

^ good call on that!!!!!!!!!

• just me
            April 23, 2012 at 10:05 pm

If you look to the right, there’s a list of arrests…apparently the police are doing their job…ignorance is not an excuse now. Think before you try to voice an opinion as a fact

• Rachel
            May 4, 2012 at 3:11 am

This is such a controversial topic, although I am appalled by the Obvious racism that Has been displayed in majority of these posts, I have to say that I am not surprised. Whether people want to realize it or not, there are major flaws within the police dept in the A.V. And racism is one of those flaws, my brother (nathen Taylor) was a victim of racial profiling on many occasions by the police officers in Lancaster, and all because of the type of car he drove. He was a college student due to graduate this fall, he was an outstanding soldier, brother, son and companion, and never once has he been to prison. But did that stop the police from pulling him over on more than 11-13 occasions because he “fit the description?” no. His car was registered, insured, and he had a valid drivers liscence. Four days before his brutal murder, he was stopped by police officers after he had already exited his vehicle and was harassed, verbally abused, illegally searched, and belittled because “there were reports of gang activity in the area” my brother did not dress in what many would consider gang attire. His pants were always pulled up on his waste. He did not hang out with gang members, And he has never been arrested for gang violence of any sort. So please tell me what description did he fit? I tell you which description. The BLACK description.
            Now on the other hand. It’s not a one sided story, African american men have such a bad reputation in the community because of there involvement in gang activity, as well as criminal activity. It’s impossible to blame someone with out recognizing all factors in the situation. It’s sad to say, but if African American men would focus on changing the statistics on the crime rates in there own communities, like black on black crimes, single parent homes, imprisonment ratios, and many other issues that plague our culture, maybe the police dept. would not be so quick to peg you as a shitbag.
            But bottom line, my brother did not fall into any of these categories, he was a good man who’s life was stolen from him, for no reason! And in his death there are so many ugly skeletons that have been exposed from the AV’s closet. I can bet my bottom dollar that his shooter was a black man, and for no logical reason given to us, the police dept let my brother sit in his car for 20 minutes before allowing the paramedics to remove him from the car. By the time my brother got into the ambulance, his heart was in its last beats, and he was pronounced dead open arrival at the hospital. So you guys can keep arguing and name calling, but my family and I….we’re going to get to the bottom of this, and both the person that murdered my brother and the police dept, need to be held accountable!

• April 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Tina I hope this never happens to you (domestic violence), the last thing I’m sure your family would want to hear is that’s what she gets, while your laying there dead.

April 25, 2012 at 12:14 am

@ … – BTW there is a big difference between Domestic Violence (273.5(a) PC) and Homicide (187(a) PC) – Both horrible crimes, but the young man who was murdered was not a victim of 273.5pc – He was a victim of 187pc – Homicide …

10. Chris
    April 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

Your MS family is brokenhearted Nate. We will always love you and miss you.

11. TC
    April 22, 2012 at 7:09 am

The odds are against black men from the moment of conception. After a black man is born, he has to worry about making it in this society and how to avoid getting shot or murdered by his own PEOPLE. Black men need to wake up! Another good brother is killed for no reason!

• April 22, 2012 at 7:33 am

Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t believe any good black men exist. In great part due to the media. Besides dealing with the threat of being taken out by some low life gang banger, they have to deal with being taken out by the PEN.
      TC I know where you are coming from but on this site you have people that haven’t a clue and will only add insult to injury. I have a saying for my brothers and that is the “Darker the Smarter”. Black men need to understand they have to seek higher education or become highly skilled, in this society. If you have never dealt with discrimination then you don’t understand. It will be denied and made to seem as an lame excuse.

• TC
        April 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

Finally, someone understands what is going on in real life.

April 23, 2012 at 4:03 am

Come on TC – Seriously? Real life? Am I not eligible to join you there? Not a cool statement. Narrow mind *Cough*

• April 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thug County did you get those extra clips you were talking about? My guess is that, your a COWARD. All you do is moan and groan about the same old,same old.

April 24, 2012 at 1:23 am

Coward? For believing in ones right to defend himself? Me the coward? I didn’t shoot an innocent man Saturday night. You’re the one moaning and groaning, not me. In fact, it seems you’ve been moaning and groaning since the moment you were conceived seeing it is you have all “the odds against” you. Poor you. Grown men don’t curl up into a ball and blame the color of their skin when life doesn’t work out in their favor. Nor do they blame the color of others. That’s the coward way out.

April 24, 2012 at 1:44 am

… So much for any civil discussion I guess; I’m now a coward. We’ve resorted to junior high mentality. Cool. Carry on . . . – Here is a wise saying my grandmother once told me, and I’ll pass it on to you and urge you to ponder it before you attack others with grammar school name calling:

“It is better remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” …

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and if you read my posts you would see that I am vocal in my support of racial unity, and I believe in ones right to defend them self. And all you can call me is a coward and a thug? Weakkkkkk.

Keep groaning and blaming the bald white male, or the “white victim-hood card” … And yes, I have plenty of extra clips. Not to protect myself from narrow minded folks on AV blogs, but to protect me and my family in the event some piece of trash tries to break into my home. Don’t you believe in home defense?

• CommonSense
        April 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I have an idea: how about black women stop having children without being married? I know, its crazy, but its just an idea. Maybe you could stop breeding with every man you meet, so you don’t end up with 5 kids from 5 baby daddy, and their different, hyphenated last names. In your comment above, you blamed everyone else for the alleged problems of blacks, except the real cause: lazy, deadbeat “men”, women having kids out of wedlock,then expecting the rest of us to pay your bills for the next 2 generations.

• April 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Common sense you have no sense at all for the comment you made there is all different kinds of women who are not married and have babies white mexican chinese it dose not matter and they are not asking for no hand outs the real matter at hand is that man served his country and did not deserve to die like he did you are so dum and like tina marie i said to her and i’ll say to you may god have mercy on your soul for your dum comment you guys are really dum find yourself a new name because you do not have common sense making the comment you did

• just me
            April 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Really? First of all D-U-M-B that’s how you spell dumb, not dum. Secondly, you guys need to stop making it a race thing, considering all the LA gang members moved out there. I’m pretty sure, ESPECIALLY, on that part he was shot by a black dude or dudes. Plain & simple. & I’m sure all the people around “saw nothin” & wanna blame the cops…I’m sorry, if they don’t get information or evidence they can’t do their job. It’s sad, but don’t blame anyone but the people who did it. Quit acting holier than thou & quit making it a white cop, black folk issue…get out & help the cops with info instead of acting ignorant & making a fool of yourself online.

• Mike Thurston
            April 25, 2012 at 9:41 am

I blame the black community for this. The black community worships thug culture and they all abide by the “don’t snitch” rule that allows stuff like this to happen.

April 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

@ … – ALL MEN need to seek out and obtain higher education and soak up skill and knowledge in today’s society; In fact, I think that was the key to success in yesterday’s society too, and probably a good idea for tomorrow’s society …

12. TC
    April 22, 2012 at 7:05 am

A few statistics:
    -African-American men are more than twice as likely to be unemployed as white males, and black males who work in comparable jobs earn only 75 percent of what white men earn.
    -Half of black men in their 20s were jobless in 2004, up from 46 percent in 2000.
    -Black men are nearly seven times more likely to be incarcerated, with average jail sentences about 10 months longer than those of white men.
    -In 1995, 16 percent of black men in their 20s who did not go to college were in jail; a decade later, it’s grown to 21 percent.
    -Black males between 15 and 34 are nearly eight times as likely to suffer from AIDS as their white counterparts.
    -Black males ages 15-19 die from homicide at 46 times the rate of white males their age.
    -Black male achievement begins to decline as early as the fourth grade and by high school. Studies show, black male achievement begins to decline as early as the fourth grade and by high school, black males are more likely to drop out; in 2001, only 42.8 percent graduated from high school, compared to 70.8 percent for their white counterparts.

• T-Bone
      April 22, 2012 at 8:41 am

What are the statistics of the Fathers still involved? That ststistic alone could be the changing factor of all the others here. (which I may add, has nothing to do with this article) Everyone always leaves out that statistic when they make a list of Poor Me’s…

• April 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

No different than the white victim-hood card being pulled on this site.

April 23, 2012 at 3:48 am

. . . – I hope I don’t fall into that category in your eyes. I’d much rather have an intelligent debate with you than sit here and cry victim. Rest assured that while we may not agree on an issue I will always talk at or to you, but never down. Here is something that I hope reaffirms that my character is genuine and legitimate; I’m white, I have lots of tattoos and guess what? I don’t think every Section 8 recipient is a criminal. I don’t think every black person is a gang member/criminal. Illegal alien isn’t the first thought that comes to my mind when I notice a Hispanic person, and I don’t assume the Asian lady in the car next to me can’t drive, nor do I assume her son is a math prodigy. Why? Because I am an open minded down to earth person who knows that there is good and bad in all. All I ask in return from you is to not assume every bald white dude in the AV is sporting a swastika and an active member of the NLR (some are, but not this kid) – I don’t think in terms of black and white; Monochrome is a harmless and creative tool when used in photography, when used to process negative thoughts through a narrow mind, the results can be disastrous. I’m fed up with the blame game too. However all of us have played it, and guess what? It get’s you nowhere. Forget holding a race grudge; That’s not me and I don’t believe that is your mentality either.

• TC
        April 22, 2012 at 10:36 am

T-Bone- In 2006, 91.4 percent of single parents of black children were mothers. That figure hasn’t changed over the years. In 1960, it was a shade lower at 91 percent.

As far as statistics for fathers being involved, when you come across that please let the entire world know.

Yes, the article has nothing to do with black male statistics.
        The message I put up was meant for black males to see and possibly open their eyes. Stop killing one another. Statisctics show the odds are against black men.

• T-Bone
          April 22, 2012 at 11:00 am

My point is if there were more Fathers involved maybe there would not be such high numbers on these other statistics.

And as far as thinking ANY of the males (black or white) shooting each other would take the time to read at all, I’m sure they are not reading this…Come On! You are just pipe dreaming now!

• TC
            April 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Sad to say but you are probably right…

• Shari Martin
            April 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I believe that but it is not just black families it is for all families. This needs to stop this is not helping anyone. Do you vote? Lets make changes. go to city council meeting.Use the law not hate

13. April 22, 2012 at 6:36 am

I am just confused though, The Mayor was saying crime was down, but now that’s all you read on the front page of the local newspaper. If you look at who got arrested, there were murders on the list during election time but no story. One name I can recall is Jennifer Gray. I searched but could not find anything.

14. Marky
    April 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Prayers to your family This sucks I live in lancaster
    I like skateboarding at night
    Now I can possibly get blasted by some chumps
    Or mistakenly get profiled by a cop …..
    And then killed

• Abdul Majeed Askia
      April 22, 2012 at 7:59 am

I am a noted national speaker. I have deep concern for the families,the youth and the memebers of communities. My deepest sympathies go out
      to all the families and youth of our communities.

Unfortunately people like myself have been blocked from certain circles.
      Even though I have resided here in palmdale for twentyfour years,and it was here in palmdale were I was profiled amog people who make a
      diffeence and summoned to speak from here to washington D>C>!In
      fact I was so well received among the prison prelease Inmates and
      the local Youth facilities I received an outstanding community
      service award!!!

After 911 the ammistrations changed and I was bared and gradually
      phased out of the iner circles. I called it like I seen on all
      levels. Whether it concerned the rich or the poor and the people
      loved to hear and they would cry out for me to speak to them yet
      the power that be began to harass me up and down the streets as
      though I hadn’t didn’t done a bit of good a day in my life!!!
      Remember I received community service awards from the chief of police
      Mr. Sherman Block before he passed away,awards for the correctional
      department and the general community!!!! Immediately after 911
      (in fact slightly before 911) I was caught in what I believe to
      be deliberate accidental car crashes.A reporter from the antelope
      valley press was on the scene in front of me the first accident.
      The second car crash the police was directly behind me,he witnessed
      the accident,he stuck his head in the car to see if I was ok,and
      I asked him didn’t he see the accident? I told him the other party
      ran the red light,the officer said he was on the way to work and
      had to leave the scene!!I said don’t you suppose to stay!!!Another
      passage was with me that can confirm this senario!Shortly thereafter
      a false witness shows up and pretended they saw evrything and
      blamed me for the incident. I saud I wasn’t worried because the traffic
      camera’s caught the whole incident. I was told they didn’t work.
      There is amethod to the madness!!! I have nothing against Law enforcement,but I do know I soke against the King,moarchs in saudia
      arabia and jordan! I do know that I told them I don’t believe in
      royal familes and dictatorships and dis-allowing women the right
      to vote,drive cars and participate in the mainstream society. I
      do know that I spoke against religious gang banging!!!I do know
      that I stepped on some big feet in the so called royal class.
      I do know that most of the religious folk on this end and other places
      know who I am. After all,all you have to do is google
      my name Abdul Majeed Askia(abdulaskia@yahoo.com/323-9459589)!I
      do believe the ante has gone up because big royal money spreads
      far and wide!!!I want nothing to do with the twisted interpretation
      of the Qur’an wherein there is no freedom of speech and the system
      is prepared to mow its dissidents down with automatic weapons.That
      my friends is not Islam I don’t care how much money you got or how
      good you look in your big fine cars and fancy dress.

I am a student of philosophy,relgion and science. I love to read,
      share and interact with the people. It is a personal passion to serve.
      I am open to the public.National public speaker in the spirit of
      good will. I live here, I wouldn’t and I don’t want to live in
      Saudia Arabia. Why would I are any rational person would want to live
      under that type of system.

Please forgive me, all the families who have lost love one’s.

15. Rachel Taylor
    April 21, 2012 at 5:36 pm

• jo hicks
      April 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family.I have known you all since we were kids. Your brother was truly a great man. I will keep you all in my prayers.

• April 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

• Cheri
      April 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Praying for your Family. He served his country and protected us yet we could not make sure he was protected when he came home. God Bless

• Amber Corzine
      April 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Rachel its Amber from school I already spoke with Kinnzie but I am also going to reach out to you as well. My grandma is part of P.O.M.C. and she works to assist in family of victoms of volent crimes. She joined after my uncles life was taken 10 years ago yesterday. She can help direct your family to groups that can help with funeral expenses and counsling if need be. I know what you and your family are going through and I wish there was more I could do. feel free to email me at ambernflax@gmail.com for more info. My heart and prayers are with you.

• Barbara M
      April 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Rachel, your brother is the kind of son every mother wants. He represented the best of US manhood. He put his life on the line for all 300,000,000 of us in the USA. Remember 9-11, those attacks were planned in a middle east rattlesnake nest and your brother went to kill or capture the vipers. After 3 service rotations, he came back home, used his GI bill benefits , now ready to graduate. I am so very very sorry.

Mother of a veteran

16. NIMBY
    April 21, 2012 at 8:29 am

My guess is black on black crime. Where’s the outrage?! Where’s Darrell Parker or Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Co.?! Ohhhh, I know….planning their next “No Justice No Peace” march against the bad white people.

• CC
      April 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

Why are you “guessing” black on black crime when there is no mention anywhere of a suspect or motive in the shooting? You have assumed the shooter was black with absolute nothing but your bias to back you up. What does that say about you?

Based on the last several DUI crash killings, should I automatically ASSume that the next DUI crash killing is an automatic white on black crime then? The “No justice no peace” march against white people who drink with friends and then take away innocent lives is coming to a town near you. Stay tuned.

• NIMBY
        April 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Au contraire CC I do in fact have….um facts. A 2007 special report released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics that reveals that approximately 8,000 — and, in certain years, as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks. Do you have any statistics to back up your claim of white on black DUI’s? What does that say about YOU?! Hmmm

• April 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Of the approx 5,000 murders of whites, 86% is White on White crime. Blacks are at 94%. Seems like we all need some anger management. Humans need to stop killing humans…

• dealwithit
            April 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm

please point us to the source of this statistic

• tina
        April 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Ummmm excuse me the black man ur talkin about is my family n I just want to let u know that……he was a military veteran….he went to afgan 3 times
        ..he served this country for over ten years….he was a good man
        …who wasn’t into gangbangin or any other nonsense….he was killed for no reason
        ..so know what ur talkin about before u speak on sumbody…thank you

April 22, 2012 at 5:38 am

Nimby: It’s actually ‘Darren’ Parker; Not to throw you under the bus, but if you’re going to comment, get it right … My condolences to the family; Another senseless death. However @ Nimby, you do have a point, sort of; Sadly, the only time it seems the black community gets any support from these so called “Black Community Leaders” is when a black life is taken at the hands of a non black individual; Otherwise, it seems they could care less. They only come out of the woodwork to organize and demand justice when the culprit isn’t black. Now that’s twisted injustice at it’s finest. A veteran was killed in cold blood. A family is now left to deal with the pain and try to put the pieces back together. I would hope all of these “leaders” would jump on that real quick, but they will probably stay in the background, silent. When a senseless murder lacks a handy scapegoat, these media pimps go into hiding. There will be no marches, no media circus, no demands for justice from our black community leaders, and that is just salt in the wound for the family of the deceased. I hope ‘Darren Parker’ comes out of the woodwork and supports this family. Not because of their race, but because this is a community tragedy that could happen to anyone, regardless of race.

• April 22, 2012 at 6:23 am

Wikipedi And the other number from another source.

• April 22, 2012 at 6:28 am

North County, I am glad to hear that you are able to empathize with the family of this tragedy.

April 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

@ … – I have empathy for any innocent victim of a heinous crime such as this, as well as their family and friends. Senseless acts of violence have a ripple effect on the entire AV. I hope the coward that did this is brought to justice in an expedient manner. There will never be total closure for this family, and I hope you didn’t misconstrue my post as being cold and sarcastic. I wouldn’t disrespect the memory of a man I didn’t know nor post anything hurtful or hateful towards a victims family.

• Abdul Majeed Askia
        April 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

You hit on the nose.

April 23, 2012 at 3:54 am

Thank you Abdul – We agreed on something. I like that. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it’s a start…

• CommonSense
        April 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

@ North County, you hit it right on the money. I feel bad for this family too, but I’m won’t be holding my breath for the Parkers,Sharptons, and TCAL’s of the world to come running. Its only worth their time when they can make it racial or they can bitch about the cops.

April 23, 2012 at 1:40 am

Exactly – And that is unacceptable. The AV’s version of Sharpton Inc. will march down Lancaster Blvd and demand justice in Florida, but if an African-American is gun downed right here at home by his own race they put up the closed sign, turn off the lights and take the phone off the hook. It’s sad. We need to end this finger pointing double standard crap or else this valley is going to revert back to rock bottom. Again. There are good and bad in all, and the AV is no exception, unless of course you’re manning the media kit and press releases down at TCAL’s office.

17. North County
    April 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

Hmmmmmmm- Two homicides in the past 48 hours … Full Moon? Something in the AV’s drinking water …?? Or would it be too soon to speculate that the sudden upswing in violent crime might be connected to the prison realignment program and the decrease in compliance checks up here … ??? Thank you Gov Brown; Thank you DOJ, thank you LA County Board Of Supervisors and a big thanks to the bleeding hearts of the Community Action League … Time to put the bars back on the windows and order some extra clips … It’s going to get worse (again) before it get’s better ….

• Long time AV resident
      April 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

My thoughts exactly. Is there a chance that it will get better?

• Tina Marie
        April 22, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yeah, it will get better.

• Just the facts
      April 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Isn’t it weird that everyone is now more worried about tragic crime? We are seeing more “vigilante” type incidents, movies, etc??? It’s kinda how it was like in the 70s… Charles Broson taking law into his own hands in movies. Prison reform. Racial tension at a peak after the Watts incident. SAME Governor!!!! Thanks Jerry for bringing us backwards again.

I say let the thugs finish each other off. Makes the streets better for me. None of them have anything good coming to them. Funny how a lot of thugs go up to Rosamond then shortly return back to Lancaster or Palmdale cause they get “treated better”……..

18. Resident
    April 21, 2012 at 6:18 am

Antelope Valley Is Getting Worse By The Minute

• Facts
      April 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I would also give a serious amount of credit for our violent rising crime to Darren Parker, T-CAL, LULAC, NAACP and most importantly, the DOJ. Their efforts to effectively handcuff our community protectors began in ernest last Fall. Since then, our deputies have been criticized for their efforts to address the armed gang members and other criminals amongst us. Now those illegally toting guns as they hunt for their next robbery victim have little to fear as our deputies have to think twice about aggressive proactive policing. Every traffic stop, bicycle stop and pedestrian contact leads to accusations of racial profiling and the filing of citizen complaints and internal investigations. We are starting to see the true effects of our wonderful community activists. I hope all of those who support our so called activists are willing to come to the aid of all of the families who have recently fallen victim to our local street thugs.

• Stinger
        April 22, 2012 at 7:44 pm

‘Facts’ says: “I would also give a serious amount of credit for our violent rising crime to Darren Parker, T-CAL, LULAC, NAACP and most importantly, the DOJ. Their efforts to effectively handcuff our community protectors began in ernest last Fall.”

What you fail to give credit for is WHY all of this is occurring: Parris. Had Parris not tried so hard to divide the community with outrageous claims, falsified data, egomaniacal statements, and just plain stupid posturing, little – if any – of this would have happened.

Parris KNEW that he was race-baiting and the players in the AV that would take him on. Parris KNEW what kind of people he would be dealing with on these subjects. But Parris would not, or could not, shelve his ego and do things reasonably. Parris brought all of this on with his constant, “let’s go to war,” statements. He wanted to divide the city into warring factions and he has been succeeding.

• Eris
          April 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

How can anyone not see this as the Petri dish of things to come – everywhere? State’s rights = equal opportunity to oppress. Doesn’t matter what color, only matters what caste.

April 23, 2012 at 12:41 am

Come on Stinger; It wasn’t Parris’ ego that pulled the trigger. It wasn’t Parris’ ego that placed drugs, guns and stolen property in someone’s house, nor is his ego to blame for violent crime. Could he have been more reasonable in his approach to establishing a more “PC” way of going about tackling crime in a proactive manner? Yessss. But the counter attack from the other side was just as bad.

Yes he has an inflated ego, and his ‘bull in a china shop’ approach to almost everything is well known, but to pin all of the blame on him is weak and petty. He isn’t an alter boy by any means, and neither are the members of the other political ‘clubs’ in the AV. Please post your opinion and examples of Parris’ “outrageous” claims that you feel have divided the city into warring factions. I’d love to see how Parris’ ego can be directly attributed to violent crime and the mess we are in.

I don’t think the common street thug bases his thought process and decision to gun down and take the life of an innocent man because Parris is on an ego binge and suffering from vanity toxicity; Maybe both sides should of reached a compromise. Not that it matters. Innocent people are being gunned down. With or without Parris, the NAACP, CAL, DOJ, Nasa, KGB, KKK, NLR, Etc Etc … If you’re going to point the finger at Parris, you better have fingers pointed at the rest of the pot stirrers too.

However, instead of pointing fingers and waving fists at the mayor, how about aiming where it belongs: In the face of the scum out committing these atrocious acts of violence. Regardless of his ego, the CAL, ACLU, NAACP and DOJ are just as toxic. Parris screams war, the NAACP screams racism and the only bodies falling into the trenches are innocent civilians, their lives cut far too short by savages who don’t even know who Parris, Mr. Parker or the rest of the various political gangs even are.

• April 23, 2012 at 12:36 am

With all that has been done by the LASD, what good did it do if crime is up?

April 23, 2012 at 1:24 am

Crime is up because the LASD have to do their jobs in straight jackets now. Much like a yard or planter, crime prevention requires routine and frequent maintenance, otherwise it gets out of hand – Real quick. You have to mow and weed on a regular basis. Neglect it for a week or two, or being reduced to trimming an acre with a rusty pair of scissors and it will get out of hand and run rampant. Perhaps if there was less cries of discrimination, profiling and racism aimed at the LASD they might be able to get back to doing proactive police work. Being proactive can prevent a tragedy. When a cop is forced to only be reactive, crime goes up again. We can’t have it both ways; If people want a safer community they can’t snivel when a carload of blacks, or Hispanics or bald white guys gets pulled over. If you’re not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Inconvenient? Absolutely. But it’s the simple inconveniences that can sometimes prevent a tragedy. I get pulled over quite often. I don’t enjoy the process, but I don’t spite the Deputies either. They have a job to do, and once they ascertain that I am not vital to their job security, I am sent on my way. No big deal. It’s not just black folk who get pulled over. White guys with tattoos deal with it too.