Updated: Woman shot to death in Lancaster, boyfriend arrested for murder

Late Friday morning, officials still had the area cordoned off where the shooting death occurred.

Updated 4/24/12: The victim has been identified as 45-year-old Kim Laurine Odom.

LANCASTER – Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau detectives Friday were investigating a shooting in Lancaster that left a Black woman dead.

Detectives responded to the 1200 Block of Meadow Circle around 11:37 p.m. Thursday, April 19, to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting of a female Black adult, according to a Sheriff’s press report.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials have not said how many times the woman was shot, or where she sustained her gunshot wounds.

As of 10 a.m., Friday, the woman’s name and age had not been released pending notification of next of kin.

Right now officials have no more information to release on the circumstances, possible suspects or motives for the shooting. We will have more details on this story as they become available.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

Updated 4 p.m. 4/20/12:

A woman was shot dead Thursday evening at the Sunrise Apartments in Lancaster. Her boyfriend was arrested for murder.

The victim’s boyfriend, Ron Hamilton, 47, has been arrested for the murder, which occurred at the Sunrise Apartments at 1251 Meadow View Lane.

Hamilton was booked on suspicion of murder around 4:05 a.m., Friday at the Lancaster Station, according to LASD inmate records. The following is the updated press release from the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau:

Shortly after 5 p.m., Thursday evening (4/19/12) deputies from Lancaster Station responded to the 1200 block of Meadow Circle, Lancaster, regarding a call of a spousal assault.

When the deputies arrived, they detained a man who was sitting on the steps outside the apartment.

When they checked inside the apartment they found a woman suffering from gunshot wounds. Los Angeles County Fire Rescue Paramedics responded to the residence and pronounced the woman dead at the scene.

The victim’s boyfriend, who was being detained outside, was taken into custody.

Forty-seven-year-old Ron Hamilton was booked for murder at Lancaster Station. He is being held in lieu of $1,000,000 bail.

There is no more information available at this time.

As of 4 p.m. Friday, the woman’s name had not been released pending notification of next of kin. We will have additional information on this story as it becomes available.

41 comments for “Updated: Woman shot to death in Lancaster, boyfriend arrested for murder

1. Latonia
    May 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

I knew both ron and kim, Im sad and shocked to hear the news of there traggic incedent. Both have been welcomed in my home before, its sad when two people who seemed to be so in love, would let verbal words n actions take them to a no return part of life. There’s no excuse what so ever, when a gun or physical contact comes in play in your life, Im asking god to pray for both families, and asking for healing and forgiveness for any future outcomes of both loss…..

• Cathy J. Stricklen
      June 15, 2012 at 6:25 am

Kim was my cousin and we grew up together. She was my best friend and I will truly miss her. I just found out Sunday 06/10/12 about her tragic passing and I am so sad to hear that her life was so selfishly taking away. She was a beautiful person. Even though we were distant cousins she was like a baby sister to me. May God Bless and keep her.
      C.

2. rhonda
    May 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

my sister kim, u are going to b miss so much even though we did not see each other for a while,no matter what u where still my sister and i love u with all heart,me and my kids u were they auntie..the kids allways call u auntie kim ..we is going to miss you girl
    we love u your sis rhonda an family

3. Shatera Odom
    April 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I miss u so much Aunt Kim …it hurts….I’m still asking why ..just why would he do what he did …I’m just so hurt you did not have to go like this ..you was loving and caring …I’m missing you so much words can’t explain…you will Be missed Auntie Kim LOve your niece TeTe.

4. joanne
    April 25, 2012 at 9:48 pm

@John whoever you are you are a total RACIST of the worst kind..what do u mean blacks that come from the GHETTO cant handle living in nice places and bring crime, drugs etc with them ..u are a FOOL..i do hope u come back and read this..you are probably trailer trash hiding behind a comment. R.I.P. Kim Odom..and the family has my deepest condolences..

5. Patrina Morris
    April 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Kim Odom is my sister-n-law and I love her so much she come from a beautiful family that loved her. She will be missed by so many she was a loving person. Its just a shame to hurt Her she just did not deserve this. I hope he burn in Hell for this and any other man that hurts women. I’m hurting behind this. I love you so much Kim may your soul rest in peace sister….love Trina

6. kim
    April 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

To the family of Kim please excuse me for a moment, @ JOHN & SAM there a several trailer parks all over America please choose one out of California. You are b y far the most ignorant sounding people I’ve heard. Im sorry to this family that lost someone they love. Rip Kim

7. John
    April 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I live out in West Palmdale and Quartz Hill and three of my new neighbors are transplants from Saugus who lost their homes there. Great people! This is the kind of growth the Antelope Valley should be encouraging.

8. Tina Marie
    April 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

What do you people expect???? This is what happens when u bitch and whine about cops and tie their hands behind their back! This is what you get! Deal with it!

• ...
      April 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Maybe, I’m missing the point. How do they stop Domestic Violence and how are their hands tied behind their backs? The only moaning going on is from the family mourning the loss of a loved one…

• Palmdale
        April 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I’d be curious to know if there were past domestic violence incidents, calls to the cops,arrests, etc, and the outcome of those cases. On one hand I would say the cops hands are tied in the way that they arrest the man or woman, just to see the other lie in court and reunite later. Not saying that what happened here,just wondering. Domestic violence can’t be prevented by politicians or cops.

9. Katina
    April 22, 2012 at 8:41 am

I am so sorry for you and your family loss. My prayers are with you all. It’s going to be a tough road but you guys have to stick together during this tragedy. As I just recently lost my only brother and I’m not going to sugar coat it has been really difficult for me. But I really believe that day by day, your hearts would get stronger and you would stop asking why her. Just pray and give to the Almighty God and he would see you through. Much Love.

10. neisha
    April 22, 2012 at 7:01 am

My poor cousin…she didn’t have to die this way…RIP KIM..we all love you and pray that justice is served

• S. Parker
      April 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

Neisha,
      You have my sincere and deepest condolences on the loss of your cousin Kim. I don’t know that the people on this forum give a thought to how they might feel if it were one of their family members taken in such a tragic way before they make these callous comments.
      As someone having lost a brother, I know first hand how the pain rips you apart day in and day out. I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy. I too said a prayer for Kim and for your family to ask that you find the strength to get through this difficult time. You can take a small comfort in knowing that the perpetrator of this heinous act was caught and hopefully he will be punished to the fullest extent of the law. It does not bring your cousin back but it can at least give you a sense of closure. Again Neisha, you have my deepest sympathy. RIP Angel Kim!!

• neisha
        April 22, 2012 at 7:54 am

Thank you Parker…and sorry about your brother

• S. Parker
          April 22, 2012 at 9:09 am

You’re very welcome. God bless you and your family and your beloved cousin Kim.
          And thank you for even acknowledging my loss as you are going through your difficult time.

11. Abdul Majeed Askia
    April 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

My eighteen year old passed away in Kansas last year under addverse
    circumstances and every time I hear or see a senseless death I find
    disturbing. Thats why I don’t understand these preachers not addressing
    social issues!!! Much of thise stuff could be avioded if people
    were taught how to deal with stress in relationships,set backs,
    job loses,heart break and seperations! We live a free-fall society
    (at some do) wherein anything could happen. Yet,most of the religious
    services or messages seem to be totally disconnected from the reality!!!
    How else can there be so much violence in the inner city and
    especially among my beloved African americans whom I love so dearly.

Anothr great lost to the familes of all parties,to the children if there
    were any,to the friends and relatives I am sure they are all just
    heart broken. It is just so sad. Even moreso because our leaders
    aren’t addressing the heart of the matter!!!

It is not more about buying guns and alarm systems,it is about
    focus on the family. Focus on negative and positive influences.
    That is, focus on the everyday realities,address mind sets,the
    thinking capacity,the outlook and view on life that people have.

I was raised in the ghetto. Outside of my family I have forever been
    shocked how death and killings have been taken so causal!I have
    recognized how life has ben turned upside down,the disrespect for women
    and such foul language and the like.

It might sound odd but the truth is we need more love,more sensitivty,
    more compassion and a deeper insight into “there is a method to the
    madness!” Nothing is happening radomly!Its in the thinking!!!
    It is the attitudes, in the life style,it is in one’s outlook on
    life.The religious leadership is refusing to direct their resources
    and knowledge to asist the people in overcoming obstacles.Not
    just this holy roller talk but how to psychologically adjust in
    life and have a firm footing to deal with the pressures of life!

I feel the impact,the pain,the shock,the vibrations of the loss
    of the family and even the one who has acted out in such a deadly way!
    Listen to me I have faced such opposition among the leadership
    but the people have always shown love and respect when they hear me!!!
    But the leadership have thrown up road blocks because many are just
    money hungry vultures that want come down to the grown level and
    reachout to deal the agnoy,the fear,the pain and confusion that exist.

It is not about more guns,it is about collectively,spiritually and
    intimately reaching out to people!

Everyone has a right to be shocked every time a tragedy like this
    happen.

It is not about black and white,it is about the lost of life,it is about
    humanity,can anybody hear and take this message serious and we
    connect to humaity,black,white,brow,red,yellow it don’t matter it
    is about standing up to the best in life and saving life!!!

For those of us who had to live under fear and senseless killing don’t
    you think the leadership all from top the bottom shuold be reaching
    down to those of us who see and unstand what is going on!

My mother was shot when I was chid,my Godm I was just a young seven
    year old child.Oh was I hurt,I cried out God why! I got angry and
    upset at the young of seen,I wanted to strike out andthing and
    everything that I felt had hurt mother!!!

May God give the fa,ily the strength to survive this tragedy.

Abdul Majeed Askia/EMAIL:abdulaskia@yahoo.com

• BlockedSevenTimesNow
      April 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Abdul,

Address your questions to the liberals in this country who have encouraged the destruction of the African-American family in this country for decades.

It is the liberals who WANT, yes I said WANT, the African-American community to stay right where it is so they can further their goals.

Call upon Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Durbin, Schumer et al, and ask them why they want to keep the African-American community down.

Open your eyes and you might just see where the true racists, with pure evil in their hearts, live and how close they are to you and those you care for.

• Abdul Majeed Askia
        April 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

There is a method to the madness!We are all in this together,
        the democrate,the republican,the independent,Black,brown,red,
        we all live on this planet,this is our temporay home,this
        earth is our residence ! The sooner we figure out and recognize
        we regonize the holist approach to things the better off we
        will be. Everyone has something to bring to the table,we
        need to strike a balance and realize in a puzzle everyone is
        a piece of the puzzle that completes he picture! Not a my way
        or no way attitude but an inclusive approach. We know what
        the bad part of history has shown us,w want to learn from
        it and rise above the negativity.There is a method to the
        madness.Cause and effect.abdulaskia@yahoo.com

• neisha
      April 22, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanx for your prayer Abdul…this is really a tough time for me and my family and sum comments are very hurtful. But thank you for being compassionate and sympothetic. By the way, Her name was Kim (Kimberly)

• ...
        April 22, 2012 at 8:05 am

Neisha, I am sorry for your loss. Domestic violence hits across all color lines. As long as the headlines say the word “Black” then those that are hateful will say hateful things without thinking about the family.
        May Kimberly rest in peace.

• neisha
          April 22, 2012 at 8:14 am

• Mia
            April 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Neisha I did not know Kim but I do know her brother My heart goes out to the whole family and God bless the people on here who make unkind and senseless comments. This was a tragedy that has put hurt in the hearts of many of her loved ones.
            Domestic violence is a crime that affects so many of us. My prayers go out to the family of Kim her passing is a loss that will be felt for a long time by many. GOD BLESS HER FAMILY AT THIS TOUGH TIME OF LOSS~

12. J. Ripper
    April 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm

How exactly do elected leaders prevent this kind of domestic violence? It wasn’t a robbery or gang violence. It was (apparently) purely domestic. Yes, IF they were section 8 then you could at least begin to throw accusations/credit around, but based on this info, I don’t see how it’s preventable.

13. Sam
    April 20, 2012 at 5:19 pm

That’s what you get when you have section 8. Rex is doing what is right to prevent abuse!

• Stinger
      April 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

I read the article thrice and there was absolutely no mention of anybody being on section 8 housing. Your comment was the typical divisive racist and classist political tripe of Parris – and another reason why crime is now on the rise when it was going down before his ‘election.’

A woman is dead. This is a time to try to heal the community, not divide it.

• ...
      April 22, 2012 at 8:06 am

What does section 8 have to do with domestic violence?

14. ed
    April 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I read this article at least three times and I still can’t figure why L. Enrique, the reporter, had to mention, twice, that the woman was black. I can understand the Sheriffs writing this in their report. That is absolutely necessary, but for an investigative reporter?

• T-Bone
      April 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I was thinking the same thing! We don’t know a Name or Age but we definitely know she was Black! A-1 Reporting there!

15. P
    April 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

Why is race brought into this? A woman was murdered!

• JD
      April 20, 2012 at 10:58 am

I don’t think race is brought in as a bad thing. Right now race and gender seem to be the only identifying factors the cops are releasing on the victim. I would at least like to know the age of the woman and if she was a Lancaster resident. That information should be released even if next of kin has not been notified.
      What is this, like the fifth murder of the year for Lancaster? We’re not even on month 5 yet! This City is turning into a war zone!!!

• AV Town Crier
        April 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

“Lancaster a war zone? Please! King Rex said Lancaster is safe and that crime is down! Would King Rex lie?

• William
          April 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Does the Pope **** in the woods???

• Glad I live in Palmdale
          April 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Crime was down before the recent election. The AV Press reported it “soared” 2 days after the election. Good luck with your decision Lancaster.

• Palmdale
            April 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

@Glad, I’m in Palmdale too but stand by…our stats will be released soon, and we’ll be in a similar situation, as will most of the County. Give credit to Jerry Brown and prison realignment, and the amount of parolees, probationers, Section 8 in this Valley.

• Facts
            April 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I would also give a serious amount of credit for our violent rising crime to Darren Parker, T-CAL, LULAC, NAACP and most importantly, the DOJ. Their efforts to effectively handcuff our community protectors began in ernest last Fall. Since then, our deputies have been criticized for their efforts to address the armed gang members and other criminals amongst us. Now those illegally toting guns as they hunt for their next robbery victim have little to fear as our deputies have to think twice about aggressive proactive policing. Every traffic stop, bicycle stop and pedestrian contact leads to accusations of racial profiling and the filing of citizen complaints and internal investigations. We are starting to see the true effects of our wonderful community activists. I hope all of those who support our so called activists are willing to come to the aid of all of the families who have recently fallen victim to our local street thugs.

• John
            April 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

the sad truth is that ghetto people cannot handle living in a nice area. They have to bring their crime, trash and ghetto politics with them wherever they go. Anywhere they go they have to try to turn it into Detroit or Watts. they are like a plague of locusts!

• Stinger
            April 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

‘Facts’ says: “I would also give a serious amount of credit for our violent rising crime to Darren Parker, T-CAL, LULAC, NAACP and most importantly, the DOJ. Their efforts to effectively handcuff our community protectors began in ernest last Fall.”

What you fail to give credit for is WHY all of this is occurring: Parris. Had Parris not tried so hard to divide the community with outrageous claims, falsified data, egomaniacal statements, and just plain stupid posturing, little – if any – of this would have happened.

Parris KNEW that he was race-baiting and the players in the AV that would take him on. Parris KNEW what kind of people he would be dealing with on these subjects. But Parris would not, or could not, shelve his ego and do things reasonably. Parris brought all of this on with his constant, “let’s go to war,” statements. He wanted to divide the city into warring factions and he has been succeeding.

Parris WILL be in prison soon.

• Facts
            April 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

@Stinger, nice diversion attempt. I’m not a Rex supporter but if certain factions want to take him on and blame him for his comments, that should be done at the council meetings and at the polls.

The issues I spoke of effect the entire AV area. Areas outside of the reach and influence of the Mayor you hate so much. Again, I blame the DOJ, Darren Parker, TCAL, LULAC and the local chapter of the DOJ. The last time all of the local police where hesitant to be proactive, LA nearly burned to the ground some 20 yrs ago. Just ask LAPD what it was like back then.

• TheTruth
            April 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Stinker is all about diversions! I’m not a Rex fan either way since I don’t live in Lancaster, but the DOJ and their cronies don’t have much to do with Rex. He may have fanned some flames by backing aggressive police work. The whining started a few years ago when regular inspections were being done, and several scammers lost their section 8. Eventually, the usual suspects bent enough ears, and used the buzzwords (racism! bigotry! Unfair!) enough, got the Darren Parkers, banished ex-public defenders, and TCALs of the world involved. Next thing you know, DOJ is bugging the sheriff for meaningless statistics. Oh well…this will pass, but until then, the honest taxpayers are the real losers here. Be careful what you wish for, Stinker and fans of the DOJ. The street cop makes the same money for driving around as he does stopping thugs. If someones going to scream racism after every stop, they might think “why bother?” The thugs love that mentality, but the taxpayer loses. I bet the family of the guy killed on H7 the other night wishes some cop would’ve “harassed” the thug carrying the gun before the thug killed their loved one.

• Stinger
            April 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

‘Facts’ and ‘TheTruth’ clearly don’t want either facts or truth interfering with their dogmatic point of view.

Parris’ vitriolic style has farther reaching effects than just Lancaster.