‘Hoodie March for Solidarity’ set for Thursday in Lancaster

Trayvon Martin (image via Wiki)

LANCASTER – Area residents are expected to don hoodie sweatshirts tomorrow in a community rally and march in remembrance of the unarmed Florida teen shot to death last month.

The “Hoodie March for Solidarity Against Stereotypes in Remembrance of  Trayvon Martin” will kick off at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 29,  at the Lancaster Metrolink Station (Sierra Hwy. & Lancaster Blvd.). The group will march to Lancaster City Hall, where speakers will address attendees.

“The significance of the march is to bring peace and unity within our community and to show that no matter the ethnicity, age, [or] profession, people wear hoodies,” said March Organizer Veronica Fields, COO of Simac Production Studios.  “People should wear hoodies to the march because it shows solidarity in saying we are not dangerous because we have on a hoodie, everyone wears hoodies. If we spread awareness about humanity, stereotyping and come together in unity maybe our community will not fall victim to senseless violence as it has in the past.”

Antelope Valley residents will join the thousands of people from all walks of life who have dressed in hoodies, staged rallies, and signed petitions in cities across the country in honor of Martin, the 17-year-old African American boy shot and killed on Feb. 26 by 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in Sanford, Florida.

During a recorded 9-1-1 call, Zimmerman claimed Martin looked suspicious covered in a hoodie while walking through his neighborhood. Soon afterward, there was a physical altercation between the two which ended when Zimmerman fatally shot Martin. Zimmerman claims he shot Martin in self-defense and so far has not been arrested.

Much is still unknown about the incident, and conflicting reports abound on the circumstances that led to the shooting. Still, Martin’s death has received national and international attention, sparked numerous debates about racial stereotypes, and triggered multiple investigations. Additionally, millions have signed a petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest.

Fields said Thursday’s Hoodie March for Solidarity Against Stereotypes is a chance for Antelope Valley residents to become more unified and to show peace and love towards each other no matter the ethnicity or the types of clothing.

“Trayvon Martin may have been the spark that ignited the flame, but this march is for everyone who has fell victim to violence in our community as well,” Fields said. “I want our community to speak up when injustices are done upon us and maybe after this march it will be a little easier to do so. I felt very strongly about this issue because I have younger brothers that wear hoodies, I also have a son that will one day walk the sidewalk like Trayvon Martin did, with candy and a drink; I want him to be able to do that safely.”

For more information on this event click here.

66 comments for “‘Hoodie March for Solidarity’ set for Thursday in Lancaster

1. CKAY
    March 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

“The Truth”/”Common Sense”/SurelySurely”/etc. The great Parrasite has you working overtime Mr.Smith. Either that or your multiple personalities have taken you over the edge. By my estimations your blogs have earned you a couple of hundred bucks. Beats being a baliff who turns and runs.

2. CKAY
    March 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm

“Facts” aka ronny smith wants David to go to the AV Univ. of CPR & welding? Sp that’s $1.50 from rex for your dumb blog & another $.50 from Sandra for recruiting another student destined to fail. Sandras cheap.

3. david G
    March 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm

look i am not perfect but lets get one thing street i have dont wrong in my past i have never raped anyone but i was involved with a 16 year old when i was 20 i am not a registered sex offender because i am not a child molester and was only 3 1/2 years older then the person.

i personally didnt care how old she was when i was 20 but i faced the consequence and did my time and was honest about it. i now have a family who i care deeply about with all my heart and soul who i would like to do my best for and work my hardest to provide the right way soooooo ya i do work i bust my ass in what ever i can get my hands into.

i also had to prove a pooint to myself as well ass other close to me i do not back down no do i have any shame for who i am.

i have fought for my rights as well as yours even though you might want to give me the benefit of the doubt that i am doing something right for once in my life its fine i will just stick to what i know how to do and that is just be myself.

who would of thought a big mouth like mine can get a whole city shooken up and debating about issues of what is going on in the city i am glad because i should be the one to have to say we are being fooled.

and now more then ever i wish hadn’t been so foolish and immature growing up then maybe yes you would pay attention more or even believe me but i am not asking you i am just sticking to what i know is the truth.

• Stinger
      March 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm

One question, David: Did that result in a ‘felony conviction?’

• common sense
        March 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

He just murdered the English language…that should be a felony!

• TheTruth
          March 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

…….raped and tortured it…..

• TheTruth
        March 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

Still waiting for his response there stinger?

• ..
      March 30, 2012 at 7:14 pm

David, You overestimate your importance in this city.

• Facts
        March 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

David Grajeda, try “busting your ass” by going back to school and obtaining an education. Maybe, just maybe, everyone might listen to what you have to say if you would start writing intelligently. Also, the women in college are usually adults so you should be allowed to be around them without violating any predator laws.

4. donna
    March 30, 2012 at 12:46 am

wishing the families of all that have suffer from these actions peace and good will, our prayers are with them

5. david G
    March 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

for all who think that this is a bad idea and insult a young mans death who was killed for being stereo typed as a hoodlum for wearing a hoodie just look at your own kids who buy hurley sweaters with hoods wheater black or white.

mlk encourage civil disobedience with a peaceful resistance the only ones who were violent to anyone were the powers that be fighting to hinder there rights as americans black americans who had to be peaceful or would have been stereo typed as a violent group like malcom x.

i just dont understand how anyone can be so ignorant to the facts when it comes to senseless killings of anyone who may or may not belong to a certain group even the sheriff gets it wrong sometimes but they are aloud to have the benefit of the doubt because they belong to a group but even they are not completely right and are only human who can be corrupted or abuse there power just like in the civil rights movement.

we have rights in this country not privileges which every group or people had to fight for from the original tea party to the civil right movement that has not been completely negated to to the NDAA.

the only ones who have privileges are those who been given the privilege of authority by the people for the people not to abuse the privilege because we as americans do not yield our sovereignty to the entities we create.

• Jen
      March 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm

shut up and handle your own business! you cant even keep yourself from getting a felony so shut up!

• Stinger
        March 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm

What felony do you claim he was convicted of, “Jen?”

• TheTruth
          March 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Stinger…I know david g is your personal hero, but its a well known fact david g, aka one long, never ending, run-on, incomprehensible sentence, has a felony rape conviction. He doesn’t even deny it..but you, like he has, will find a way to minimize it. Then, the felon runs around town playing everyones legal adviser. Yeah, I know….Parris paid us, right? You sure give Parris credit for having a lot more juice then he really has!

• Stinger
            March 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Obviously, your grasp of ‘the truth’ is not very strong. If you had bothered to read any of my past posts, you would be aware of ‘the truth’ that I am definitely NOT a fan of Grajeda’s. Also, although you are correct in your observation of his egregious failures in grammar, you have failed to provide even one shred of evidence to support your possibly slanderous claim of a felony conviction.

YOUR hero, der fuhrer Parris, on the other hand, is a well known drug dealer and user. The fact that he is a one percenter is easily verifiable in the required disclosures that he manages to fill with arcane information to hide his assets while just barely staying within compliance with the law.

Go drink your koolaid.

• TheTruth
            March 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Slander? He’s admitted it in the AVP and in public. Ask him when he comes to your house this weekend for the bbq.

• Stinger
            March 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

What BBQ, Parrisite? Do you mean like the ones that your hero, der (wannabe) fuhrer, has that violate Brown Act laws?

Go deal drugs with Parris. I hear they make the koolaid taste better.

• D
      March 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Where to start? Spelling? Punctuation? Go back to school, learn to articulate a complete thought in a coherent manner.

The killing of Trayvon Martin may have been senseless. As to who is at fault, they are still looking into the matter. There is a process for determining guilt of lack thereof in the United States. The court of public opinion is not that venue. Especially when not all of the facts are known to the public or possibly even the police investigating the matter.

• William
        March 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm

The Sanford police didn’t do their job nor did the state attorney who said not to arrest Zimmerman. It’s very likely that public opinion for the the state and federal authorities to act and investigate rather then let it get swept under the rug.

1. Zimmerman admitted to shooting Martin in ‘self-defense’
        2. He was told not to follow Martin but did so anyway, losing his ‘stand your ground’ defense.
        3. The family and others want Zimmerman to be arrested so that he can be charged, if appropriate, and go to trial.

• TheTruth
        March 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Exactly! Go back to 3rd grade Mr. Mayor wannabe!

• david G
          March 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm

how about you stop being ignorant to whats going on in the city and actually express it at city hall, whats funny is i am right and 1 of 2 out of 150,000. people who live in lancaster to speak on every agenda item presented and actually know whats going on to speak about it. loser the only person who needs to be schooled is you.

• david G
      March 30, 2012 at 12:40 am

hahaha you people are pathetic you know damn well what i mean the only reason you like to attack my grammar or my education and that if i smoke pot is just a defence to make yourself feel like you truly understand but you can’t qoute any real facts like i can. weather my grammar is bad i dont really care because its my words that count as well as the facts i state most of you like talk out of your ass let alone have a factual opinion about your rights my rights or even what the civil rights movement was all about.

the fact of the matter is i went up to city hall to address the over aggression tactic the sheriff dpt was using against people who are just walking down the street or applying for a social service and what do you know they end up killing 3 people overzelously.

you want to talk about investigations and all this blah blah blah but you fail to realize if anyone of us shot a sheriff in self defense guess what we would be charged with a capital murder and face the death penalty before the weeks end while thise knuckled head sheriffs with trigger happy fingers get to go on leave and spend time with there families

one day someone is not going to run instead they will fire back and possibly kill a sheriff kinda like the guys who fired on the sheriffs a few days back.

trust me if my brother would have been killed in this manner i dont think i would wait for any investigation but take the law into my own hands and find out exactly who and where how and when my chance will be to get that person and only god will be my judge.

ive been pushed up against a coner already even the captain has tried to black mail me which makes him just as much as a crimal as the people he arrest if not worse.

its not like i dont have proof hahaha i mean man who do you know that can negotiate a deal before court and get 2 charges dismissed and a friends as well oh thats right you dont know anyone because it was illegal for them to do it as well as it was for the DA to go along with it because i go to city hall and speak.

trying to scare me with jail so i can sell out my rights.
      after court i am gone from this place and when the time comes you all will realize how ignorant and foolish you were to the boy who didnt cry wolf.

• david G
        March 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm

no ones trying to get anything lifted and that my friend would be none of your business and unless you want to be me.

i am not wrong doing or saying what i did during the commission so much credence has been paid to me that it only boosts my creditability with what i say.

all they have done was create resentment from the community.

• Facts
        March 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

David, time to take your meds!

• TruthsAvenger
      March 30, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Can’t wait for April 10 when David gets all of 16 votes for Mayor. Maybe then he will do the world a favor and light up his beloved pot and smoke himself into oblivion.

• Stinger
        March 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

• Wpayo
          March 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Ha! That must be the noise your cash register makes before you strap the kneepads on! How’s Sierra Highway workin for ya?

• Stinger
            March 31, 2012 at 2:52 am

You tell me, “Wpaidoff.” Try not to bump your head on the steering wheel when Parris is paying you next time… BTW: I hear that he’ll let you drink the koolaid to wash things down when he’s done with you.

6. Jen
    March 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

I wonder how many things will be stolen from the vendors at the farmers market as these idiots are walking down Lancaster Blvd tonight?

• D. Lamont
      March 29, 2012 at 11:46 am

WOW… You have branded an entire group of people looking to hold a march for solidarity and unity as thieves and idiots? I won’t insult you like you have insulted the group holding the march, for there is no hatred in my heart. I will just hope that some day you can find the strength to deal with your very obvious issues of fear and hate… I also pray that you are not in a position of power, ANYWHERE.
      I will not be responding to anything else on this article, because I refuse to let words on a page make me into something that I am not. Peace be with all of you…

• Stinger
      March 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Cha-ching! Another $1.50 for another Parris-paid blogger.

Enjoy the kool-aid!

7. Alex
    March 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

With the recent senseless death of Reed Keith, wouldn’t that have been a better example to show how senseless violence is affecting our community here in Lancaster?

This is race baiting, trying to use the hype and boiling tensions from the Treyvon Martin case to Lancaster, which we do not need at all.

As a member of the community I am DISGRACED that people in Lancaster would jump behind the hate that is being brought out now.

The case also has not gone to court, and the details not fully come to light in the Martin case, so having a march for someone that may or may not be responsible for the escalation that lead up to their own death.

You want to see an innocent victim shot for no reason, as I said earlier, maybe you should have helped with the vigil for Keith.

• D. Lamont
      March 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

Alex, please help me to UNDERSTAND the HATE that you see in the announcement of this march. What part of “The significance of the march is to bring peace and unity within our community…” don’t you understand?
      Also, why does one incident have to cancel out the other? Can’t people recognize both? I was at the Reed Keith vigil, were you there? I will also be at the march tonight, will you be there?
      Why don’t you come out and judge for yourself, instead of sitting behind your computer making blanket accusation of “race baiting,” thereby, race baiting yourself…

• Jen
        March 29, 2012 at 11:25 am

In case you havent noticed, people are getting sick and tired of crime! They are tired of seeing their families and loved ones effected by criminals. They are tired of having their stuff stolen and being told by the police to “back off and let the criminals take what they want”. They are tired of living in fear and being afraid to go out for fear of being robbed, stabbed, gunned down or worse. Ask the cashiers at Marshalls and at the Donut Shop how they feel about “hoodies”. Ask Reed Keith’s family how they feel about “hoodies”. There was a time in the nation when people didnt have to worry about crime and people are going to start taking justice into their own hands.

Go to your stupid “hoodie march” but know in the back of your mind why it is that most of us wont be there and why we think it is brazen and disgusting!

• Matt S
          March 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Yep, I was at the candlelight. And I’ll be at the march. They aren’t mutually exclusive. The both will be the community taking a stand against senseless death. But it is a good idea that you haters stay home. Since you all are scared of a article of clothing. The reason people wear hoodys is because they are perfect for the weather up here. Not to heavy. Not to light, with a built in hat should it be needed.
          I hear the scum idiot that killed Mr. Keith was wearing underwear. I bet those aholes who shot at the cops also were wearing underwear. Time to treat everyone wearing underwear as criminals. Get on it haters!

• Quigley
            March 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

You can’t be serious….hoodies are as popular as the pants hangin off the a@#….weather has nothing to do with it. It is a statement of many nothing more. Hoodies are worn indoors on a regular basis because people CHOOSE to do so….not because its cold indoors …give me a f@# break!

• Jen
            March 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

yep! I saw you! you arent technically a man but you think you are and you smell like an ash tray !

• Burkey
            March 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I wear a hoodie, does that make me a criminal? I’m a 44-year-old woman. Everyone wears hoodies, every income level. They are fashionable! Check your J-Crew catalogue. This whole conversation about hoodies is bizarre.

• Gerald
            March 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

LOL who you talking about? You “saw” me? LOLOLOLOL
            I doubt it. And I don’t smoke. Maybe it was your breath?

• Gerald
          March 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I was at this, and wore a hoody. Why would that be a problem?

• March 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm

The Mayor does race baiting on daily a basis. This is a free country and people can live where they choose. All you hateful people will have to answer to GOD. We are here to stay and will stand for justice and fairness to all.We will be marching for the senseless murder of Mr Reed, Trayvon and all others. Is taking justice into ones own hands a threat? I feel the same about crime as any other law abiding citizen. Everyone is at risk at the hands of criminals. Criminals come in all colors.

8. T-Bone
    March 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Hopefully the LASD will be there! Maybe they can catch the guy who just robbed Marshalls and the Donut Shop IN A HOODIE!

9. Dewayne Culver-Johnson
    March 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

Stereotypes exist for a reason? Maybe we should stereotype people that were suits, in today’s times! All these bankers and politicians that are doing crooked crimes! You can’t just say cause someone where’s a hoodie there up to no good! If that’s the case all real estate agents are are criminals, all old white men are child molesters. I bet you ppl wouldn’t like that stereotype!(lol) stereotypes are not necessary! You can never judge a book by its cover!

• dd
      March 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

or old Black men being Child Molesters…….I know Real Estate Agents arn’t only White. I’m judging you by your cover, you sound STUPID……

• Dewayne Culver-Johnson
        March 29, 2012 at 11:53 pm

That’s my point!!!

10. Tina Marie
    March 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

• Gladdis
      March 29, 2012 at 12:21 am

I’d give you a little thumbs up sign if this site had them :>).

11. Deborah Sims
    March 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Mr. Carter,
    The world in which you live in must be very lonely and sad. Your comments on M. Dilworth’s article are not true. The article is not baloney, nor is it full of lies or race baiting.It about the community of Lancaster coming together to show we believe in the justice system and the freedoms afforded to every individual of this great country through the Constitutions, and the Bill of Rights. Why are you such an angry individual? A session or two of therapy might be beneficial to you. Good luck with that! Peace.

12. D. Lamont
    March 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I don’t know what story you just read, but the article above calls for “Antelope Valley residents to become more unified and to show peace and love towards each other no matter the ethnicity or the types of clothing…” And you call that lies? race baiting? shame?
    The reporter acknowledges “much is still unknown about the incident…” but you in California decide the boy was a burglar and a doper? And then you have the nerve, the AUDACITY to accuse of someone of race baiting? WOW… For “RACE HATE” you need only look in the mirror, Mr Carter!

13. Abdul Majeed Askia
    March 28, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Various community leaders and I had planned inadvance approxiamtely two
    months ago to have a community round table addressing senseless violence
    prison recidivism and community development !Parents,educators,social workers,child welfare agency professionals and all concerned about our
    youth and our community were invited to attend April 28th from 1:pm until
    6:pm. Unfortunately since the time the community conference was set several
    senseless deaths and crimes have occured locally and across this country.
    Thus our response is not a knee jerk response but a growing problem
    that alert,active,conscious caring and solution orientated leadership has
    acknowledged !

It is appropriate to march,to be vigil,to express and register our concerns
    and feelings throughout this nation crossing racial,ethnic and culutural
    lines ! The killing of Keith Reed and Trayvon martin were both senseless
    and tragic for both families and comunities! Sheer stupidity,arrogance,
    selfishness,callousness and total disregrads for life was shown in both
    cases ! Believe it or not in a very sadistic sense both killers in way
    felt they would have sympathizers that would agree with their behavior !

The racist attitude that blacks are invading and plaguing our communities
    and all blacks are alike !The young black shooter having heard years
    of negativity conversations of ‘its the systems fault’ may have given
    him an excuse to pull the triger ! This is the kind of enviornment that
    we have collectively allowed to evolve ! Thus on all sides people are
    taking positions along social and racial lines !Again,for some this is
    a desired position to create controlled enviornments,maintain racial
    and social prejudices pitting one group against the other ! A blind man
    can see this developing across this country. This is the space age and
    news travel fast ! Unless it is effectively address it is evident what
    the conclusions would be. For some,every act rushes them to the pawn
    shops arming themselves. It serves as an opportunity to sream for disater
    perperation and dooms day predictions! A blind man can see that unless
    the social scientist,teachers,educators,Imams,pastor,rabbis,activist
    and all concerned citizens step up it is evident what neglect,indifference
    and total disregards of theissues will entail.

Nobody wants crime in their communities and nobody wants to be racially
    profiled and lumped into one category !We need to stop lying to ourselves
    and realize behind every act there is cause and effect ! Nothing just
    happens in a vaccum. We are capable of solving any and all problems as
    long as we put our minds and efforts behind making a positive difference.
    Again,we have to put all the facts on the table:Ignorance,hate,prejudice,
    poverty,classism,racism,frustration,bitterness,confusion and the list
    goes on ! There are solutions but we can’t contine to sugar coat,water
    down everythin and look at the world through rose colored glasses!

We make and create the world we live in ! It is us ! We can be our own
    best friend or our own worst enemies individually,collectively and
    socially! It is up to us. The us I am referring to is humanity ! I am
    talking about all of us.Reed Keiths life was valuable and the nation has
    to realize that Trayvon Martins life was valuable and a great lost for both familes. Thus crime ignorance,prejudice and racial profiling is
    a reality that needs to be addressed with the focus point on solutions.

We need continued round tables and national discussions for an extended
    period of time. abdulaskia@yahoo.com..323-9459589

• Gladdis
      March 29, 2012 at 12:24 am

Well said. Tomorrow night, Lancaster High School, 6-8 pm.

14. Boscoe
    March 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Well, I guess we’ll finally find out where our “Human Relations Task Force” has been hiding, I mean gathering. Shameless and gutless, your mask has been removed….

15. kshu
    March 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

You really can’t get better than this… A story promoting a “Hoodie” march to raise awareness that people shouldn’t be afraid of those wearing it – right next to the story detailing an armed robbery of the Lancaster Marshalls store. The description of the robber = a ski masked man wearing a “hoodie”. Yep, I’m sure the march provides comfort to our thugs…the sheep solice to not fear strangers in a “hoodie” are much more placid victims.

• Deborah Sims
      March 28, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Maybe we should ask the manufactures of “hoodies” to stop making them, but you know that will not happen (to much money to lose) unfortunately.

• Quigley
      March 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Right on! Take off the damn hoodies you all look ridiculous hiding behind them like cowards or heros depending on your values …how bout a march with no hoodies so you can stand tall and look each other in the eye with a handshake of sincerity!

• March 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm

sounds like the same description of the person that allegedly shot and killed Reed. I am not making light of the situation. How can you ID someone with their face covered? Are African Americans the only people wearing hoodies?

16. Just calling it like I see it
    March 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Where’s the march for the senseless murder of Reed Keith the computer store owner? Ooops I forgot…there isn’t one because he was white!

• D. Lamont
      March 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It’s tonight. And it’s a vigil between 7-9 p.m. in front of e-Chaps. The entire community (regardless of race) will mourn the loss of Reed in a senseless tragedy. Will you be there? Or will you be at home hurling insults from your computer?

• Deborah Sims
      March 28, 2012 at 5:45 pm

The person who did that crime was arrested a couple of days ago, or don’t you read the newspaper? Trayvon Martin was a citizen walking home from a store who was stalked and murdered. Even though the 911 officers told the stalker to quit following him they would handle it. Now you tell me where is the comparison both cases are senseless and tragic. The person who is accused of Reed Keith’s is in jail. Now answer me this is that the same for Trayvon Martin’s killer? Should I be like you and say “Oops I forgot… he isn’t because he is part white!” You are a great example of the biases that plague this nation. Learn to do some critical thinking before you write.

• AVer
        March 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Well Deborah, don’t be preaching about bias, when you’re just as guilty of spreading bias yourself. You’re assuming this was “murder”, just from the statements you made in your post. It’s quite obvious you don’t want to let the justice system get to the bottom of this. Instead, you (and others here) want to take sides, and decide who was right, and who was wrong, purely based on media reports, and not from any first hand knowledge or evidence.

Personally, I think this whole Hoodie march is pathetic, and stupid, but whatever turns ya on. Instead of wearing Hoodies to this protest, I’d like to see everyone turn up in one of those nice purple Snuggies instead. :)

• Just calling it like I see it
        March 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Deborah unless you were there you don’t know what really happened. So why don’t you do some of your own critical thinking before you write! And stop listening to the lame stream media!

• D. Lamont
      March 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Just got back from the vigil for Reed Keith, several people of all races and ages peacefully gathered to remember a remarkable man… I did not know Mr. Keith, yet I mourned for him, because it was a life lost in a senseless tragedy.
      Tomorrow I will be at the Hoodie March for Trayvon Martin. People of all ages and races will gather to recognize a young life lost in a senseless tragedy. I did not know Trayvon Martin but I will mourn for him.
      If any one of you making hate-filled comments on this forum were to fall victim to a violent and senseless act, I would show up and mourn for you…Still!

17. Dewayne Culver-Johnson
    March 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Great that is something well needed for that community/ City/ Valley because it’s a lot of that going out there.. I hope it’s peaceful. Maybe if the antelope Valley Sheriffs stay away and try to bully the marchers like they always do… Lol… I doubt if the City of Lancaster Mayor would be out there cause is person well known for stereotyping..

• Tina Marie
      March 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

stereotypes exist for a reason! Usually because they are perpetuated by people who live up to them and do so by their own choice!!!!!!

• D
      March 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Given the criminal activity that has occurred in some cities, in the name of Trayvon Martin, don’t you think it would be prudent for cops to be there? I would think a police presence not only protects the local businesses but the marchers themselves. I, however; think that you do not think that far ahead and perceive any action by law enforcement as “bullying.” I am betting they will sitting around just monitoring unless they have to take action.

• Alex
        March 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I am sure they had plenty of plain clothes mixed in as well as having units ready to roll in case of any out of control situations.

They are usually smart enough not to put out a press release about a heightened alert in case it causes even more tension.