Palmdale deputies help rescue woman from Aqueduct

PALMDALE – Deputies and passers-by helped pull an accident victim out of the chilly waters of the California Aqueduct to safety Tuesday morning. The woman said her vehicle rolled into the aqueduct and filled quickly with icy water, and she was able to escape through a passenger window that had shattered before the vehicle entered the water.

The following is the press release from the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station:

On Feb. 28, 2012 at 9 a.m., a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy from Parks Bureau responded to 60th Street W, south of Avenue N, at the California Aqueduct in Palmdale to assist Palmdale Sheriff’s Station Deputies regarding a vehicle accident in the Aqueduct with a person possibly trapped inside the vehicle.

The deputy was only a few minutes from the accident and was first on the scene.

When he arrived he noticed tire tracks in the steep embankment, a debris field and two men attempting to rescue the victim at the edge of the water.

The deputy ran down and assisted the two (unidentified) men in pulling the victim from the water and up onto a flat dirt area.

Palmdale Station Deputies arrived on the scene and began an investigation into the accident.

At this time, LA County Fire personnel had arrived and immediately began treating the victim for hypothermia and some minor visible injuries.

The deputy also confirmed the victim was indeed alone in her vehicle, ruling out any other possible victims.

The victim was conscious and breathing, and seemed coherent enough to answer basic questions. She was treated at the scene and released.

14 comments for “Palmdale deputies help rescue woman from Aqueduct

1. Eyewitness
    March 1, 2012 at 5:42 am

The deputies were actually the very last on scene. They did nothing to facilitate the rescue. they acted as if the report was the most important task. You should read the Valley Press for the accurate story. The LA County Fire Dept are the real heros

• Jason
      March 1, 2012 at 8:19 am

I was wondering about the huge difference between the two stories

• Facts
        March 1, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Please post the link to the story that you are referencing. Everything that I have read states that it was two good samaritans and the first deputy on scene that pulled the woman from the aqueduct. Then other first responders arrived to treat her and investigate the crash? sounds like they were all heros to me!

• Cleo
          March 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

Gotta love folks like eyewitness and james. If the AV Press says cops did a good job,the commenters here say THIS SITE has the “true” story. But in the rare case this site says the cops did good, suddenly “you need to read the AVP for the accurate story.” Like Facts stated, does it matter who gets credit? Everyone who stopped and did anything deserves some thanks.

• Eyewitness
            March 5, 2012 at 5:58 am

I didn’t see you out there. Cleo, Mr opinion.

• Cleo
            March 5, 2012 at 8:11 am

You are right eyewitness. I was not driving by at the time. But if I had been, I would have stopped and done what I could, and not be a whiner about who got the credit!

2. James
    February 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Quite frankly Im surprised they didn’t shoot her first and then pull her out. The LASD surprised me..

• Facts
      February 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

James, thanks for demonstrating how much of an IDIOT some people can be.

To the deputies and the unnamed good samaritans, thank you for life saving efforts and public service.

• James
        March 1, 2012 at 9:58 am

Coming from the person who reads one story and believes it all.. watch FOX News much? Haha. Read the AV Press version IDIOT. The LASD is full of nothing but trigger happy racists.. not all, but most.

• Facts
          March 1, 2012 at 6:06 pm

James, thanks for verifying my point.

• janell
      March 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm

why would you want them to shoot her. that is my mother you are talking about who couldve died in that accident.

• janel
        March 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i figured out what you were talking about was the lasd for being trigger happy, it doesnt matter who saved her or who gets the recognition all that matters is someone police, fire dept, or an individual saved my moms life. and she is alive and doing well

3. February 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I also want to thank the men who helped my mom thank you from the.bottom.of my heart I can never repay you

4. February 29, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Thats my mom im very thankful she fought for her life