HEALTH – November is National Diabetes and National Alzheimer’s Month. Each condition helps to fuel the damage caused by the other. People with diabetes are at a significantly higher risk of developing all types of dementia. Blacks and Hispanics have a higher propensity of having diabetes, and thus, are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s. The recipes posted at www.TheAVTimes.com this month will provide some insight into foods to help with both these diseases.
The ingredients used in Panko Crusted Salmon Croquettes help to supply the brain with much needed nutrients that help reduce the risks of Alzheimer’s and diabetes. Enjoy!
— Ingredients —
- 2 lbs salmon
- 3 Tbsp Smart Balance (no hydrogenated oils)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper (coarse)
- 3 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 Tbsp green tea – Japanese Matcha
- 2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs beaten (cage-free, range-free)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 cup kale – chopped (folic acid, A, K,O)
- 1 cup lemon juice (alkaline to the system)
- 1 cup oats – steel cut
- 2 cups bread crumbs (Panko)
- Melt 3 tablespoons Smart Balance in medium frying pan.
- Put salmon in pan fresh side down.
- Cook 4 minutes on one side.
- Flip over and cook 3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove from frying pan and let cool.
- Remove skin and flake fresh into a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whip eggs.
- Chop parsley and kale.
- Add juice of one lemon and zest of peel.
- Add seasonings, Dijon mustard, parsley, kale, whipped eggs, and steel cut oats to flaked salmon.
- Knead all ingredients until well mixed.
- Refrigerate over night, allowing the steel cut oats to absorb moisture.
- Form into 3 inch diameter patties, similar to burgers in thickness.
- Coat with Panko bread crumbs.
- Place on wax paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator. If crumbs are too moist, coat with bread crumbs, making sure to shake off excess bread crumbs.
- Add Smart Balance to frying pan and fry each croquette until golden brown.
- Flip croquette and fry second side until golden brown.
- Serve with Mama Vega*s Bistro Rice (pre-germinated) and grilled Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- Top croquette with avocado that has been seasoned with garlic salt and lemon juice.
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (4.1 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
**Mama Vega also provides personal catering services for groups or individuals addressing specific dietary needs. Feel free to ask for assistance at www.mamavega.com or 661-532-VEGA.**