Recipe: Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash, halved (prostate cancer)
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbs Smart Balance (no hydrogenated oils)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon juice (alkaline to the system)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (high blood pressure, diabetes)
- 2 Tbs brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 apple, Granny Smith, peeled, cored, chopped (lowers chronic disease risks)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (omega 3, heart disease, cancer, gallstones)
- 1/4 cup cranberries (urinary tract infection, ulcers)
- 1 cup brown rice cooked (diabetes)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place butternut squash, cut side down, in a large covered baking pan or dish;
- Pour approximately one inch of water into bottom of pan around the squash.
- Bake 40 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out easily.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine Smart Balance (melted), lemon juice, cinnamon, brown sugar, cooked brown rice and chopped apples.
- Set this mixture aside.
- After 40 minutes, remove squash from oven.
- Let cool to the touch.
- Take out section with seeds, save the seeds.
- Scoop out the baked butternut squash being careful not to break the shell.
- Mix scooped out butternut squash mixture with the brown rice and apple mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly between the butternut squash shells and return to oven for 15 minutes to reheat.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with butternut squash seeds, chopped nuts and cranberries and serve.
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (8.3 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.